I need help in becoming more social.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2014, 06:30 PM
I need help in becoming more social.
I need help in socializing with people. As many know I am not really good at talking. Here are the problems I have:

First point: I seem not to interest people. Compared to my siblings everyone tries to talk them first, hell even my best friend talks to my brother more than I. Me however nobody ever talks to me past a simple hello. I have to speak first in order to get a 5 minute conversation. For example at my brothers party, everyone was talking about how many girls wanted to have sex with them, and how many fights they got in and one, or even how many amazing stunts they have done. Only stories I had at the moment where how I messed with a common snapping turtle that got on my line, by dipping it in and out of the water with one arm, or how I held a dragonfly in my hand, fact I told somebody about that, they didn't care. Even on skype I don't want to join calls unless there are more people as I tend to not have much to talk about. This leads to my

Second point: I never have anything cool to talk about. Sure I have animals, but people my age don't care about science, in fact many fall asleep when I talk about animals. Many teens want to talk about how much sex they had, what fights they got into, what new music is out, what celebrities are doing, football and basketball, video games, etc etc. Little kids are out of the picture because my maturity level is high, and adults are out of the picture as I have no adult problems what so ever, so I can relate. Even when I do talk about these things that interest people they get bored. This brings up

Third point : Even when I talk about something interesting I am really not bothered with, even by those I consider brothers and sisters in arms. I remember talking about video games and my brother got bored, however when my other brother talked about video games and they were interested. To add, it was on the same game. And don't get me started on how bored females get. I thought males would sleep around me, females don't even approach. I know it is not my looks, I am a good looking male, one that would not be a shame in dating, in fact maybe one worth bragging that a female has, but females tend to take less interest in animals, which is all I know how to talk about and at least make interesting. But I enthusiasm in my voice to, and I do talk about more than animals. I talk about T.V and video games and music, and what food taste good, but still people either cut our conversation short or find a way to not speak with me at all. Hell I can not count how many times my friend hung up on me due to shear boredom. This can lead to the

Fourth point: only when I am in groups will people enjoy talking to me, and even then I get little say as everybody else is talking to each other. Even when I am loud, I end up being told to shut up or am beaten in volume by everyone else, even when I just want to put in my two cents. It is a shame really, the only way people will talk to me is in groups and even then it will be for a short time that I can talk before everyone goes back to talking to each other.

Also I know it is not them but me. You see it is not their fault what I am saying bores them it is mine. When I talk about cats, people get bored, one a brother talks about cats people will listen. So I am here to ask for social advice, Should I show off more, or should I become more like a teenager, sacrifice my knowledge, in order to become normal and gain the interest of my brothers/sisters? Also use humor as well, because I enjoy a good joke.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2014, 06:36 PM
RE: I need help in becoming more social.
You have to practice to get comfortable. The more you step up and start or join a conversation the better you will be at it.

You can do it...we know you can write interesting words, now you have to know that you can speak them too.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
06-08-2014, 07:06 PM
I'm the exact same way so your not alone in this fight man. Thumbsup

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
06-08-2014, 07:11 PM
I find you incredibly interesting. Practice makes perfect...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-08-2014, 07:30 PM
Re: I need help in becoming more social.
Oh, teenagers, many events may be filled with lies and exaggerations to draw attention.

Want to be more interesting? Make stuff up or make it overly dramatic. Want to be honest and better sociably? Wait til you have peers not teenagers and tough out the verbose claims of others phase.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
06-08-2014, 08:22 PM
You're talking to the wrong people. When it's right, they won't be able to shut you up. Find your niche, and the world will open for you.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
06-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Not cool of your best friend to hang up on you. Mine would "forget" to invite me to parties.

You are going to love college. Noone is going to know you or your "reputation" - and all the other freshmen are also at a new school in a new town without friends and unsure of themselves. You'll be in classes with people that have similar interests. Look at it this way - adorkable makes college women's panties drop - it did mine Angel

I don't know what your schedule is like, but with as much as you love animals, you could probably make friends with like minded people working or volunteering at a rescue shelter. (Maybe you already do this)

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
06-08-2014, 09:15 PM
(06-08-2014 08:24 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Not cool of your best friend to hang up on you. Mine would "forget" to invite me to parties.

You are going to love college. Noone is going to know you or your "reputation" - and all the other freshmen are also at a new school in a new town without friends and unsure of themselves. You'll be in classes with people that have similar interests. Look at it this way - adorkable makes college women's panties drop - it did mine Angel

I don't know what your schedule is like, but with as much as you love animals, you could probably make friends with like minded people working or volunteering at a rescue shelter. (Maybe you already do this)
I can agree with this because my situation was similar to yours. While everyone liked me, I didn't talk much and when I did talk, it didn't feel like that many people listened (unless I managed to say something funny then they'd laugh and move on). It was until college that I bumped into someone at my dorms that liked anime/video games. They were more into anime and I was more into games but it was much closer to my dorky taste than anyone I grew up with. Through that friend I found more geeky people. So, basically, I second the idea that you will have better luck in college where you can get to know other people in your major that share your interest. And even if you can't get off campus to volunteer at a rescue shelter, maybe you could work on the campus lab or something? But yeah, try your best to be comfortable around the people you're around now and try to get into smaller convos and work into bigger ones, like Anjele said and know that college is better.

[Image: notagain.gif]
06-08-2014, 09:33 PM
(06-08-2014 09:15 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  I can agree with this because my situation was similar to yours. While everyone liked me, I didn't talk much and when I did talk, it didn't feel like that many people listened (unless I managed to say something funny then they'd laugh and move on).

I find this hard to believe, you are very interesting and I love having conversations with you.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
06-08-2014, 09:36 PM
(06-08-2014 09:33 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(06-08-2014 09:15 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  I can agree with this because my situation was similar to yours. While everyone liked me, I didn't talk much and when I did talk, it didn't feel like that many people listened (unless I managed to say something funny then they'd laugh and move on).

I find this hard to believe, you are very interesting and I love having conversations with you.

Proves the point that eventually you find the 'right' people to converse with. Smile

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post