I need help with debating

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2010, 10:13 AM
I need help with debating
Being a business finance major I don't know much about refuting the christian's arguments. I need you all to help me. These are some arguments that christians threw at me.... It has been copied from a word document that they emailed to me.

If the Bible were not inspired by God, the odds of these prophecies being fulfilled would be no better than chance. Yet, we find an incredible accuracy in the Bible's foretelling of the future. For example, over 300 prophecies in the Old Testament, written hundreds of years before the birth of Christ, refer to the coming Messiah, Christ. All 300 came true. The followingare examples of these prophecies, their Old Testament references and their New Testament fulfillment in Jesus Christ.
a. Messiah to be born in Bethlehem (Micah 5:2 - Matthew 2:1-6)
b. Messiah to be a descendant of David (Jeremiah 23:5 - Luke 3:31)
c. Messiah to enter Jerusalem on a donkey (Zechariah 9:9 - Matthew 21:1-9)
d. Messiah to be betrayed by a friend (Psalm 41:9 - Matthew 26:47-50)
e. Messiah to be sold for 30 pieces of silver (Zechariah 11:12 - Matthew 27:9)
f. Money thrown in God's house (Zechariah 11:13 - Matthew 27:5)
g. Money given for potter's field (Zechariah 11:13 - Matthew 27:7-8)
h. Messiah's side, hands and feet pierced (Psalm 22:16 - John 20:25)
i. Messiah crucified with thieves (Isaiah 53:12 - Luke 23:32-43)
j. Messiah's clothes divided and lots cast for them (Psalm 22:18 - John 19:23-24)
k. Messiah's bones not broken (Psalm 22:17, Psalm 34:20 - John 19:31-33)
l. Messiah to be buried in a rich man's tomb (Isaiah 53:9 - Matthew 27:57-60)

Mathematical probability indicates that the chances of only eight of these prophecies being fulfilled in the
same man are 1 in 100,000,000,000,000,000. These odds are statistically impossible apart from a sovereign
God who knows the future.

Please tell me what I should say to refute this. I am an atheist calling on other athiest for teamwork. Something christians don't know.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2010, 10:31 AM
RE: I need help with debating
Well the answer is simple, of course the author knows what he's going to write next. It isn't very compelling that a book tells you what it is going to do later and then does it.

Basically what I'm saying is, the Bible isn't evidence of anything, there is no evidence that anything happened. So, pulling a bunch of passages that reference a later happening in the process of the book's plot isn't really evidence at all. There is no evidence that Jesus ever existed at all so all of those passages are moot.

So for future reference, if someone tries to argue with you by using the Bible as evidence just laugh at them and shrug it off. There is nothing in the Bible that has happened, there is nothing in the Bible that has any evidence of ever happening.

Bible based arguments for God are moot.

23-03-2010, 10:52 AM
(23-03-2010 10:13 AM)omega21 Wrote:  If the Bible were not inspired by God, the odds of these prophecies being fulfilled would be no better than chance. Yet, we find an incredible accuracy in the Bible's foretelling of the future. For example, over 300 prophecies in the Old Testament, written hundreds of years before the birth of Christ, refer to the coming Messiah, Christ. All 300 came true.

Well, of course they did. They're prophecies in the Bible referencing events that happen in the Bible. There is also evidence that these prophecies were added in later.
Even if there weren't, this would not be a compelling case. Assuming that the prophecies weren't added in later, the prophecies about the Messiah were well-known, and the founders of Christianity could have taken advantage of them.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
23-03-2010, 12:23 PM

Hi, omega21. Welcome to the site!

If you go down the path of refuting the actual existence of Jesus, here's some reference that can help:

http://www.rejectionofpascalswager.net/jesus.html

http://www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm

Also, I would recommend seeing the short movie The God Who Wasn't There, written and directed by Brian Fleming.

Finally, what the theists you are debating with are using is what we call Circular Logic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_logic

They'll keep running around in circles just to confuse things ("why is this true? Cause god says so in the bible. Why is the bible true? Because it is the infallible word of god.")
[Image: circular-reasoning-works-because.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply