I need some advice for a friend who is falsely charged

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2013, 05:59 AM
I need some advice for a friend who is falsely charged
A very good friend of mine whom I've known for 8 years is being falsely charged with illegal possession of weapons and explosives, facing from 4 to 9 years in prison (he doesn't live in the USA btw).

A little background, he's 23, of course he is not guilty and has never even been close to weapons or explosives, but
he hangs out with some "well known" anarchists in his town,
he has taken part in many demonstrations, once even an illegal anti-fascist one and paid a fine for it,
he has been the organizer of demonstrations (peaceful ones) and
he was once stopped at the street with a friend who happened to have a cousin who is a chemist and he had given him 2gr of "gunpowder" (which later proved to be just sugar).

He is very worried and he has only been called to the police station to testify and soon he will have to do it in front of a judge to see if he will go on trial. He says he has a good lawyer, but he doesn't have enough money to go through a trial. He says that the one that is assigned by the state for free won't even care about making a strong defense for him.

He has come to me for advice and I've told him pretty much what his lawyer told him, but I also told him not to be ashamed to ask for financial support from friends or other people he had been working with in demonstrations. Many of them had been falsely accused (it seems that the police doesn't like demonstrations and has the power to frame anyone) and people managed to raise money to help them. I told him they'd do the same for him.

Now, is that even realistic? I can't be sure about whether he can have money raised for him, but I told him just to make him calm down.

Anyone has any experience with such things? False accusations, stories made up by the police etc? Any advice on that? Is it possible the judge won't even bother with his case due to the lack of actual evidence?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2013, 06:17 AM
RE: I need some advice for a friend who is falsely charged
I would advice him to get a good lawyer, but he already has a lawyer.
He probably should not discuss his case on the internet, because it might be used against him at some point.
He probably should distance himself from the group as much as possible. if he is
seen as a leader of a group and some members have broken the law, it might implicate him.
[+] 5 users Like black_squirrel's post
04-12-2013, 06:24 AM
Get a good lawyer. And "anarchists" exactly what do they want? No government? Somalia is what you end up with with no government, just a country full of warlords and gangs.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
04-12-2013, 07:04 AM
when you are being falsely accused of guns & explosives and face prison time and can't afford the good attorney-then you should find new friends. The current friends are dragging him into trouble that he can't afford to get out of.

sounds to me like he is flirting with some people who may not be as peaceful as he is and he will pay a price along with them because he doesn't distance himself.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
04-12-2013, 07:10 AM
Here's how the police see it (in bold)

(04-12-2013 05:59 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  ..., he's 23, (typical age and gender for trouble)
he hangs out with some "well known" anarchists in his town,
he has taken part in many demonstrations, once even an illegal anti-fascist one and paid a fine for it, (Has a prior record)
he has been the organizer of demonstrations (peaceful ones) and
he was once stopped at the street with a friend who happened to have a cousin who is a chemist and he had given him 2gr of "gunpowder" (which later proved to be just sugar). (Has associates)

He needs new friends, because right now he's sitting in the wrong group if he wants to remain free.

04-12-2013, 07:24 AM
I have my fangs myself and am willing to verbally bitch slap anyone big or small, but never will I advocate any type of physical violence in any type of protest.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Get a tonne of character references from every one he has ever met.
Whether or not someone is useful to society or a menace has enormous influence in legal issues.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
04-12-2013, 09:21 AM
(04-12-2013 07:04 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  when you are being falsely accused of guns & explosives and face prison time and can't afford the good attorney-then you should find new friends. The current friends are dragging him into trouble that he can't afford to get out of.

sounds to me like he is flirting with some people who may not be as peaceful as he is and he will pay a price along with them because he doesn't distance himself.

Would you leave your best friend whom you've known since you were tiny? Good or bad, these are the only friends he has. I guess he will distance himself from them a bit at least for now.

(04-12-2013 07:24 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Get a tonne of character references from every one he has ever met.
Whether or not someone is useful to society or a menace has enormous influence in legal issues.

Do character references stand in court? Consider

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
04-12-2013, 09:30 AM
(04-12-2013 09:21 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 07:04 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  when you are being falsely accused of guns & explosives and face prison time and can't afford the good attorney-then you should find new friends. The current friends are dragging him into trouble that he can't afford to get out of.

Would you leave your best friend whom you've known since you were tiny? Good or bad, these are the only friends he has. I guess he will distance himself from them a bit at least for now.

If your friend jumped off a cliff to his death- would you jump too?

We must all make choices about our own behavior.

At some point he must weigh what is most important to him:
- his group of friends
-the laws of his community
-his own well being

04-12-2013, 10:04 AM
(04-12-2013 09:21 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  

(04-12-2013 07:24 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Get a tonne of character references from every one he has ever met.

Do character references stand in court? Consider
In Australia they can mean the difference between 3 years jail or probation at your current workplace/short term community work.
Plan for the worst outcome.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post