I need some asparagus tips!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2013, 04:20 AM
RE: I need some asparagus tips!
Asparagus makes lovely compost. Other than that, I can think of no good use for it.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
10-06-2013, 06:38 AM
I love asparagus, unfortunately the ones I grow made a poor showing this year.

You can fry them, poach them, steam them, bake them or throw them on the grill wrapped in aluminum foil.

I like the white ones better than the green ones or the purple ones, but they are all delicious.

I cook a lot by color, scent and touch, and with asparagus, it's color and touch. And unfortunately color perception differs from person to person so it's a bit difficult to pass along.

Different people like different levels of done-ness also, I like them when they are at their brightest color and start being "springy" when pressed on. Hubby used to like them cooked a minute longer, a paler shade and soft to the touch.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
10-06-2013, 10:00 AM
LJ! - Hope you're well.

When I grill them I just rub some olive oil on them and use a little salt a pepper. Medium/High heat. They usually take 3-5 minutes depending on how done you want them and how thick the stalks are (I turn them half way through). This works in a frying pan too.

I don't steam them often and usually only thiner stalks when I do. I usually check 5 minutes in.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
10-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Grilling/baking is the way to go with olive oil and garlic... You might also try boiling them, cutting into sections and mixing with tortolini(sp?)/pasta, grilled chicken, artichokes(optional), olives(optional), sauteed mushrooms(optional) and some pesto (out of the bottle is fine), top with fresh romano or parmesan.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
11-06-2013, 12:45 PM
LJ, ever try an asparagus omelet?

Cut a half dozen or so stalks into half-inch pieces, sauté 'em in olive oil and a lot of garlic. (Adjust the flame and timing to make sure the garlic doesn't brown, or it'll turn bitter.) Test the asparagus along the way; I like it (as I see Dom does) when it's turned brilliant green and just getting tender, before the color changes to olive drab. When it's done, remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl. Cook your omelet in the same pan and add the asparagus and plenty of grated parmesan cheese as the filling. Yummy.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
11-06-2013, 01:15 PM
awesome. i just bought a bunch of asparagus today.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
11-06-2013, 01:42 PM
(11-06-2013 12:45 PM)cufflink Wrote:  to make sure the garlic doesn't brown, or it'll turn bitter.

I just found the culprit to my bad asparagus! Thank you! This is what went wrong the last time I cooked. I like overcooked garlic on my shrimp so I didn't think anything of it.

Thanks!

I'm going to try some asparagus again tonight.

I'll report back.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
11-06-2013, 07:11 PM
I chop asparagus and cook it in a pan with minced garlic, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, shitake mushrooms, and sea salt. This is good with anything, but I especially like it with a nice salmon filet. I season the salmon with oregano and black pepper.

"That's not the proof I want."
"You'll have such proof as exists. You are the only one responsible for your own wants."
- Isaac Asimov, I, Robot
11-06-2013, 07:33 PM
(10-06-2013 04:20 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Asparagus makes lovely compost. Other than that, I can think of no good use for it.

I'm with Stark.

My can't like asparagus....(that's how my cousin talked when she was little)

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
12-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Here is an asparagus tip: Keep air freshener handy as it makes you pee stinky putrescence. Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post