I need some help.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2015, 08:52 AM
RE: I need some help.
(15-08-2015 08:31 AM)jennybee Wrote:  There are people who look for fulfilled prophecies every day. The newest ones are math calculation prophecies and Bible "codes." There are also ones involving the Blood Moon. I like Bart Ehrman's answer to all of this: Thinking that the Bible is talking about future events via prophecies doesn't make sense from a historical, cultural, or literary perspective. The prophecies in the Bible were written by prophets about the goings on of *their* time. They were not talking about events years and years in the future. How do we know that's true? Because the passage doesn't make any sense if you take it out of its historical, cultural, and literary context.

One I heard is that computers fulfill bible prophecy.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2015, 08:53 AM
(15-08-2015 08:11 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  So today I heard some weird bible prophecy BS. So I was wondering what did they say bible prophecy was back in the past. Like when they say chips are the mark of the beast, what was going to be the beast marker before that. I would like to know to improve my argument on how prophecies are bunk.

I can't give you specifics, but in the 1970s, I sat through hours and hours of sermons about how the Rapture was coming without a doubt in the next decade or so. These mostly happened in the summer, when it was harder to get people to come to church, so the pastor had to find something that would interest the congregation more than going to the beach.

There were lots of mentions of Russia and Israel in those sermons. And the Catholic Church, which was considered by my kind of Baptist to be a satanic force. I remember that at some point, barcodes were deemed to be the mark of the beast. Also the Proctor and Gamble logo was supposed to be some kind of satanic thing, and this might have been connected to the barcode issue.

It's all a muddle, as it's been so long since I paid attention.
15-08-2015, 08:56 AM
Codes? It is idiotic. Read it and see fr yourself. The writers could barely walk as far as I can tell. I doubt there is any code. People read things into things.

We're talking 2000 years ago. Not much in the way of MK Ultra or super computers designing code.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
15-08-2015, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2015 09:20 AM by jennybee.)
(15-08-2015 08:52 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(15-08-2015 08:31 AM)jennybee Wrote:  There are people who look for fulfilled prophecies every day. The newest ones are math calculation prophecies and Bible "codes." There are also ones involving the Blood Moon. I like Bart Ehrman's answer to all of this: Thinking that the Bible is talking about future events via prophecies doesn't make sense from a historical, cultural, or literary perspective. The prophecies in the Bible were written by prophets about the goings on of *their* time. They were not talking about events years and years in the future. How do we know that's true? Because the passage doesn't make any sense if you take it out of its historical, cultural, and literary context.

One I heard is that computers fulfill bible prophecy.

What passage are they using for that one *eye roll* lol Tongue

There are people who also say the Bible predicted Hitler, aliens, helicopters, and 9/11, and more. Here is the passage some like to say showcases Zechariah predicting 9/11. The idea is mountains are towers and horses are planes. Hobo You can see how silly it is to think it has anything to do with 9/11:

From Zechariah 6:

Again I raised my eyes and saw four chariots[a] coming out from between two mountains; and the mountains were of bronze. 2 The first chariot had red horses, the second chariot black horses, 3 the third chariot white horses, and the fourth chariot dappled horses—all of them strong horses. 4 I asked the angel who spoke with me, “What are these, my lord?” 5 The angel answered me, “These are the four winds of the heavens,[b] which are coming forth after presenting themselves before the Lord of all the earth. 6 The one with the black horses is going toward the land of the north, and the white horses go toward the west, and the dappled ones go toward the land of the south.” 7 These strong horses went out, eager to set about patrolling the earth, for he said, “Go, patrol the earth!” So they patrolled the earth. 8 Then he cried out to me and said, “See, those who go forth to the land of the north provide rest for my spirit in the land of the north.”[c]
15-08-2015, 09:10 AM
(15-08-2015 08:53 AM)julep Wrote:  
(15-08-2015 08:11 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  So today I heard some weird bible prophecy BS. So I was wondering what did they say bible prophecy was back in the past. Like when they say chips are the mark of the beast, what was going to be the beast marker before that. I would like to know to improve my argument on how prophecies are bunk.

I can't give you specifics, but in the 1970s, I sat through hours and hours of sermons about how the Rapture was coming without a doubt in the next decade or so. These mostly happened in the summer, when it was harder to get people to come to church, so the pastor had to find something that would interest the congregation more than going to the beach.

There were lots of mentions of Russia and Israel in those sermons. And the Catholic Church, which was considered by my kind of Baptist to be a satanic force. I remember that at some point, barcodes were deemed to be the mark of the beast. Also the Proctor and Gamble logo was supposed to be some kind of satanic thing, and this might have been connected to the barcode issue.

Exactly and scholars will tell you the mark of the beast was Nero--not Satan. Satan has nothing to do with any of this. That is a myth.
15-08-2015, 09:25 AM
(15-08-2015 09:10 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(15-08-2015 08:53 AM)julep Wrote:  I can't give you specifics, but in the 1970s, I sat through hours and hours of sermons about how the Rapture was coming without a doubt in the next decade or so. These mostly happened in the summer, when it was harder to get people to come to church, so the pastor had to find something that would interest the congregation more than going to the beach.

Exactly and scholars will tell you the mark of the beast was Nero--not Satan. Satan has nothing to do with any of this. That is a myth.

I am so glad I am not the only one who knew this

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
15-08-2015, 09:45 AM
Here's some more on Nero if anyone wants to read it:

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/ency.../nero.html