I need some help...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2016, 12:42 PM
RE: I need some help...
Do you have a history of mental illness in your family?

That's a serious thing to consider. I have a history of mental illness in my family, and some conditions emerge at certain ages. I don't know much detail though, as I'm no expert (although my sister is). But I've watched a friend go from a functional adult to somebody who struggles to get anything done. And family members go from being, more or less, "regular people" to becoming completely irrational.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2016, 01:09 PM
(13-01-2016 12:31 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 10:26 AM)NutraSteve Wrote:  Why do Christians always think the world is going down the drain and is coming to an end?

Because they want it to; so bad. Jesus is suppose to come back when all this happens. They want to know their crazy views are solidified. They want to rub it in everyone's faces when shed their close and fly up in the sky.

(13-01-2016 10:26 AM)NutraSteve Wrote:  Wouldn't it have made more since during Hitler's reign for God to come back? Or during the black plague?

What is this nonsense? Logical reasoning?

From a believers view all these things had to happen. It's all part of Gods plan. In order to know good, we must suffer. From a believers view death, rape and murder all must happen. So that the people it doesn't happen to know how good they have it. And it a sign of Gods love.

From there view humans survived the black plague and Holocaust, because god was just cleaning house.

(13-01-2016 10:26 AM)NutraSteve Wrote:  I mean what is happening now that convinces these people the world is a terrible place?

War. Christians in the US are finding out their not the only religion. And some of these other religions extremist are willing to go a lot further they they are. This scares them.

Plus when you compare how great people make heaven to be. Anything compared to it is dirt.

(13-01-2016 10:26 AM)NutraSteve Wrote:  It's almost worrisome... What happens to them that they are so positive they are right?

Welcome to Wonderland. You at one time where a believer. You've only been out for a year now. When I finaly accepted my atheism I started noticing all the crazy shit going on around me that was always just background noise.

I think it's a great part on how one is raised. How much it's enforced. And the level of education. I'm not just talking about schooling. But how they easily understand information that is presented to them and be able to contrast it with the real world.

I was told for the majority of my life that God was real, family, neighbors, friends. I didn't have any real reason to question it. I just accepted and went about my day.

(13-01-2016 10:26 AM)NutraSteve Wrote:  What are they seeing or hearing that makes them so sure?

Nothing. It's self-hypnosis. They don't want to be left out. And they convince themselves that

I tried to finding it but I couldn't locate it. I believe it was Brain Games did an experiment where they had put kids in the room alone, with a jar of candy. They told the children that there was an invisable princess in the room with them. And if they took the candy she would tell on them.

Most of the kids looked around the room and a few walked over the sneak some candy. When they did the scientist would makes a noise. wind chime a creaking noise. The children thinking that it was the invisible princess put the candy back and would run back to their seats.

Nothing was in the room, but the children didn't know anything else outside what they were told from the adults. The same reasoning can be applied to ghost or big foot. People that look for these things are already wanting to find them Since in that mind set anything that happens it could be a noise or something they find that they don't know how it got there, they will attribute that that occurrence.

God is no more special then that. People that say god helped them threw their addiction, or helped them win the super bowl or whatever. Have put self doubt in their own ability. And don't think about all the time that they put into reaching that goal. They think the only way they could have gotten their if a supernatural being helped them along the way. Maybe they spent more time a different location, with different people then the ones they normally did that can be attributed to their rehabilitation.

(13-01-2016 10:26 AM)NutraSteve Wrote:  That I need to take my daughter out to the woods and show her God's beauty.

If he persists with the nature thing. You can always rebuttal with.

"Why would I want to take my kids to a place they could be eaten by bears?"

"Nature will still be there when we get back."

or

"We'll see nature threw all these trips. The expansive oceans on the cruise, and the sky and land from the plane."

Wonderful post. Thank you for your time!
13-01-2016, 01:11 PM
(13-01-2016 12:42 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Do you have a history of mental illness in your family?

That's a serious thing to consider. I have a history of mental illness in my family, and some conditions emerge at certain ages. I don't know much detail though, as I'm no expert (although my sister is). But I've watched a friend go from a functional adult to somebody who struggles to get anything done. And family members go from being, more or less, "regular people" to becoming completely irrational.

As far as I know, there is no history of mental illness.

I've convinced myself that he is realizing his own mortality, and that scares the shit out of him. He wants the satisfaction of knowing that he'll see his parents again... Us again... Loved ones again, in another life.

Thank you all again. I was really down last night about all of this, and talking to you all has really helped. I always welcome anymore input!
13-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Maybe on some of the lighter issues, like Disney, you could let your father know you do spend time with your kids doing the simple things. Maybe you do take them to the woods. Or butterfly garden. Or fishing. And let him know that this Disney is just another way of creating family memories. Remind him of the time he took you to maybe an amusement park or movie theater and how much it meant to both of you at the time.
Good luck though. I have to deal with religious family members all the time. But usually it isn't a direct conflict with someone I have to see much of.
There's often a compromise. I'm sure you'll find one.
[+] 1 user Likes edbaldwin's post