I need some help.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2015, 10:22 AM
RE: I need some help.
WTF you guys? I ask that the rules be followed and I come back to find a page worth of posts starting a religious debate? Sigh....

Off topic posts deleted. My patience for this matter is at an end.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Stark Raving's post
16-07-2015, 12:32 PM
(16-07-2015 01:18 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(14-07-2015 10:22 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  You're Dogdamned right!

I don't think you need our support or permission or anything else. All on your own, you've managed to distill everything down to a very poignant phrase, a perfect summary of the skeptic's mindset.

The great thing is, it is comforting, in its way. If you poke around the board even briefly, you'll see that many of us have learned that the stark, infinite, and careless "bleakness" of the universe is itself a thing of beauty and comfort... and when coupled with knowing the truth and no longer fooling yourself, it provides a social and personal freedom beyond description. Might be hard for you to imagine, yet, but please trust us, it's there.
Uhm. So what is this personal universal connection you speak of? Do you realize that the Universe is intricately connected to each of us as we are to one another. The problem with free thinking is that it leads to excessive, needless, overly complex meaningless thought. That amounts to no real answers, and only more questions. There is a higher power. It is in us all.

Whoa.

Someone want to tell me what part of this guy Pops' "personal universal connection" I supposedly spoke of... anywhere? That's not THE most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, but it's close. I would never "speak of" such a thing.

Nice try, Christian-lite™. 15 yard penalty!

[Image: argument_red_herring_zps0ha6kw9o.jpg]

Actually, make that a 13.716 meter penalty. We like science around here. Tongue

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
16-07-2015, 12:52 PM
I just got out of class. I feel like I missed something. At any rate, thanks for regulating, mods!
16-07-2015, 01:06 PM
Free - We had a troll infestation. The refs chased 'em off. That's all. Me, I just wanted a chance to use my fallacy-refs jpegs. Tongue

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
16-07-2015, 01:09 PM
Sending hugs...

It seems from the OP, your mom might not have as much problem with the lack of religion as maybe she's got issues with you being gay.

It seems to me, she's using religion to try to back up her personal issue.

Just my 2cents. There's nothing you can do to fix it, just try not to engage her and live your own life as best you can.

Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-07-2015, 02:31 PM
(16-07-2015 01:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Sending hugs...

It seems from the OP, your mom might not have as much problem with the lack of religion as maybe she's got issues with you being gay.

It seems to me, she's using religion to try to back up her personal issue.

Just my 2cents. There's nothing you can do to fix it, just try not to engage her and live your own life as best you can.

Hug

Thanks, momsurroundedbyboys. My family is one of those where we never talk about things that bother us, but rather ignore them until they aren't a big deal any longer. I've always been the one that likes to talk things out and bask in the awkwardness. It seems like mentioning my sexual orientation often and having in-depth conversations about my religious ideas with my mother (and allowing her to ask questions) is what helps the most.

Honestly, I don't think she'll actually believe I'm gay until she meets a guy I'm dating, and then she'll deal with it. One day. For now, though, it'll just have to be a point of contention (though I'll work hard to make it as minute an issue as possible between us).
[+] 1 user Likes FreeThinker1994's post
16-07-2015, 02:32 PM
(16-07-2015 01:06 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Free - We had a troll infestation. The refs chased 'em off. That's all. Me, I just wanted a chance to use my fallacy-refs jpegs. Tongue

I was warned about trolls. Hope I'm around next time they come round, I'm interested to see the types TTA gets, and how heated things become.
16-07-2015, 04:00 PM
(16-07-2015 01:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It seems from the OP, your mom might not have as much problem with the lack of religion as maybe she's got issues with you being gay.

The solution is very simple then.

17-07-2015, 12:09 PM
Hmm. Consider Actually, I think you are handling the mom situation quite well. Believe it or not, she may be doing the best she can with what she's got.

You gotta realize, she is finally growing up. You, beloved son, are showing her a world she has probably been shielded from. You are helping your mom to finally walk into an adult world ... where everything is not the way she was taught.

Her reaction was not extream at all ...for a 15 year old! In fact, if she was a 15 year old, I might commend her for actually trying to make a stand for her arguments with tools she was given. Her tools were utter crap but she doesn't know that. You come along with your own tool of reason and she has no idea what to make of it... this new reality is stultifying.

While you are ushering in your own lifestyle changes, she will need to start ushering in her own. It's probably just as difficult for her as it is for you but, you have one thing going for you that she does not ... youth.

I think you are doing things well by talking with her, telling her the way things really are, giving her time to freak out, and then letting her come to acceptance. Giving her time & patience may be the way she finds her own path to her own adulthood. She probably stepped off that path when she started having a family. It's not an uncommon thing.

Just let her see how wonderfully you are able to operate in the world and she will eventually know your way is best for you. She just wants to love you... moms are like that. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
17-07-2015, 12:30 PM
By the way, in case it isn't obvious, my clip to South Park's "Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride" episode was a total joke. Stan keeps trying to tell his dog (voiced by George Clooney... no, not kidding) "don't be gay, Sparky. Don't be gay!"

Which of course works about as well as you'd expect. In the end, he realizes his dog is totally gay and totally awesome.

It's actually a great episode. Recommend you watch it, if you haven't seen it.

We're all here to support you. Smile

Edit to add: Ack! I just noticed that Comedy Central no longer carries the episode. Sorry.