I need some help.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2015, 01:33 PM
RE: I need some help.
(17-07-2015 12:30 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  By the way, in case it isn't obvious, my clip to South Park's "Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride" episode was a total joke. Stan keeps trying to tell his dog (voiced by George Clooney... no, not kidding) "don't be gay, Sparky. Don't be gay!"

Which of course works about as well as you'd expect. In the end, he realizes his dog is totally gay and totally awesome.

It's actually a great episode. Recommend you watch it, if you haven't seen it.

We're all here to support you. Smile

Edit to add: Ack! I just noticed that Comedy Central no longer carries the episode. Sorry.

You may be able to find it on south park studios....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2015, 12:59 PM
(17-07-2015 12:09 PM)kim Wrote:  Hmm. Consider Actually, I think you are handling the mom situation quite well. Believe it or not, she may be doing the best she can with what she's got.

You gotta realize, she is finally growing up. You, beloved son, are showing her a world she has probably been shielded from. You are helping your mom to finally walk into an adult world ... where everything is not the way she was taught.

Her reaction was not extream at all ...for a 15 year old! In fact, if she was a 15 year old, I might commend her for actually trying to make a stand for her arguments with tools she was given. Her tools were utter crap but she doesn't know that. You come along with your own tool of reason and she has no idea what to make of it... this new reality is stultifying.

While you are ushering in your own lifestyle changes, she will need to start ushering in her own. It's probably just as difficult for her as it is for you but, you have one thing going for you that she does not ... youth.

I think you are doing things well by talking with her, telling her the way things really are, giving her time to freak out, and then letting her come to acceptance. Giving her time & patience may be the way she finds her own path to her own adulthood. She probably stepped off that path when she started having a family. It's not an uncommon thing.

Just let her see how wonderfully you are able to operate in the world and she will eventually know your way is best for you. She just wants to love you... moms are like that. Shy

Thank you!

My mom has always been there to remind me how arrogant I am. But I'm starting to see that I may not be arrogant, I just have interests and ideas that are foreign to her, and because of my age, I come off as naive. I can't wait until I'm older. One of the reasons I love living on campus so much is that people respect me, for the most part. But at home, if it's outside my mom's sphere of knowledge, it's arrogance.

I don't mean to make her "feel stupid". It's just difficult when I want to chat about things that I've learned, and she doesn't know what I'm talking about.
[+] 1 user Likes FreeThinker1994's post
19-07-2015, 07:29 PM
I had that conversation with my mom, when I was in college, about to graduate:

Her: "You're just so arrogant!

Me: "For quoting Stephen Hawking?!"

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson