I need to be an atheist to set myself free

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2016, 02:08 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2016 02:11 PM by SuperMarioGamer.)
I need to be an atheist to set myself free
Many years ago in the past, I used to believe in a God and a heaven. However, it was not the type of God portrayed in the bible. My mother used to believe in God and she saw it as a good thing for me to live for myself and my own happiness as long as I was kind towards others and didn't harm others.

She saw nothing wrong with me living a self-centered life as long as I was nice towards the family, nice towards other innocent people, and was not some wicked person out to harm others.

So when you combined those two aspects (my mother who believes in a God and my mother who saw it right to live for myself), then what I got from that was a God who wanted me to live for myself and my own happiness. A God who saw it as a right and beautiful thing as long as I was nice towards others.

But later on, I realized this was not that type of God at all. I didn't read too much into the bible back then and neither did I go to church either. I just simply kept to myself, enjoyed my hobbies, and believed the image of God I had back then.

But then I later realized this image of God I had was not the right one at all. It clearly says in the bible that those who live for themselves and for their own pleasure, that they have separated themselves from the Lord and are condemned to eternal hell as long as these people do not give up this sinful way of life.

It does not matter how nice, kind, and harmless of a person you are. As long as you continue to live for your own pleasure, you will be condemned to eternal hell. As long as you have sin in your life and don't give up that sin, you will go to hell. It mentions so here:

COVETOUSNESS - Selfish lusting for things, whether pleasure (food, sex), possessions or power/prestige. (Lk. 12:15; Rm. 1:29; 2 Cor. 9:5; Eph. 4:19; 5:3; Col. 3:5; 1 Thes. 2:5; 2 Pet. 2:3,14; 1Jn. 2:16)

This is one of the sins that will send you to hell if you do not give it up. There are others as well:

PRIDE - haughtiness; egotism; conceit. Seeing yourself better than you really are. (Ps. 12:3; 101:5; 119:21; 123:4; 138:6; Prv. 6:17; 15:25; 16:5; 21:4,24; 28:25; Eccl. 7:8; Is. 2:12)

I am proud when it comes to making music and I seek recognition for my music (which would be proud and selfish). But again, it does not matter how nice I am as a person. If I don't give up living for myself and my own pleasure, I would be condemned for eternity in hell.

Egotism is living for yourself. Like I said, I live for myself and my own happiness and have no desire to live for others. But like I said, it doesn't matter how nice I am, as long as I continue to live for myself, I would be condemned to eternal hell according to the bible.

But I am an agnostic. I remain open to all possibilities. I remain open to the possibility that once you die, that is it. I remain open to what Christianity and what all other religions say. We have anecdotes and there are two ways to look at them. One way is that they point towards natural phenomena. But another way to look at them is that they do point towards the things that religions say.

So I remain open to all possibilities. Agnosticism, to me, seems to be the right mindset to take. It is an ongoing debate as to if there is or is not a God, if the brain is the source of your awareness or not (the mind-body problem), if God is the type of being who would send people such as myself to hell or not, etc.

There is no definite answer. So that is why I remain open to any possibility. But since I remain open to the possibility that I would be sent to hell, this possibility has tormented me. It has taken my life away from me and I no longer have any desire to live anymore. That is why I wish I were an atheist. I wish I was completely closed off to such a horrible possibility so that it can no longer trouble and worry me anymore.

But I don't think this is possible. I don't think I can become an atheist. I remain an agnostic and agnosticism seems to be the right and final decision for me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2016, 02:13 PM
RE: I need to be an atheist to set myself free
Ok well, I'ma go have lunch now. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
12-10-2016, 02:18 PM
Why did you start with a deceptive title?
Doc
12-10-2016, 02:19 PM
(12-10-2016 02:18 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Why did you start with a deceptive title?
Doc
The title is very relevant. I first explain my story, then it is later revealed why I wish to be an atheist.
12-10-2016, 02:24 PM
(12-10-2016 02:19 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 02:18 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Why did you start with a deceptive title?
Doc
The title is very relevant. I first explain my story, then it is later revealed why I wish to be an atheist.

OK. I see what you are saying. Many of us ex-believers here went through that phase. The fear of hell is a very powerful motivator for belief. Knowledge and rational thinking is the way to set yourself free from that fear. Good luck in your search.

Doc
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
12-10-2016, 02:28 PM
Put it this way my friend. Let's say for senerios sake hell existed. Here's a question would it be anymore scary then the alternative. I mean dose heaven in anyway seem appealing?. A place where your some gods bitch for the rest of eternity and your existence is just one meandering pointless drag.Sure there's your dead relatives but after a time even there presence could not stave off the grind of eternal existence .Hell even if heaven were ever shifting and ever exciting it's just a curtain on the above. face it an afterlife cheapens this one . life is vital and things matter because you won't get another chance to experience them or to experience period.So live now if hell awaits just remember you did so and leave a better world behind you .Those are things no one not even a god can steal from you.

[Image: giphy.gif]
12-10-2016, 02:34 PM
When you understand the bible is clearly a myth, then the fear of hell fades away.

I realized after studying these things that:

The Torah derives heavily from Babylonian myth, if you don't fear the Babylonian gods, why fear anything based upon it?

The Old Testament doesn't even have a concept of hell, it only mentions Sheol and it doesn't even support the idea of an afterlife. Hell was a recent invention, made up by New Testament authors, who are largely anonymous. Hell is a story made up by people who are anonymous.

The primary author of the New Testament is Paul, studying about Paul I realized he was a madman or at the very least had severe mental issues. He is simply a cult leader who's writings were useful for the Romans to use to control the masses.

If you knock out these pillars of fear, then the bible becomes just another ancient book of myths and stories.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
12-10-2016, 02:35 PM
(12-10-2016 02:28 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  Put it this way my friend. Let's say for senerios sake hell existed. Here's a question would it be anymore scary then the alternative. I mean dose heaven in anyway seem appealing?. A place where your some gods bitch for the rest of eternity and your existence is just one meandering pointless drag.Sure there's your dead relatives but after a time even there presence could not stave off the grind of eternal existence .Hell even if heaven were ever shifting and ever exciting it's just a curtain on the above. face it an afterlife cheapens this one . life is vital and things matter because you won't get another chance to experience them or to experience period.So live now if hell awaits just remember you did so and leave a better world behind you .Those are things no one not even a god can steal from you.
I'm not in the light-hearted position for such advice. I am in a serious situation where my life has been taken away from me due to this worry. Eternal hell would be the worst thing. An eternal heaven would be the greatest thing if it were blissful. If it were boring or a drag, then it would still not be anywhere near as bad as an eternal hell.
12-10-2016, 02:48 PM
(12-10-2016 02:35 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 02:28 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  Put it this way my friend. Let's say for senerios sake hell existed. Here's a question would it be anymore scary then the alternative. I mean dose heaven in anyway seem appealing?. A place where your some gods bitch for the rest of eternity and your existence is just one meandering pointless drag.Sure there's your dead relatives but after a time even there presence could not stave off the grind of eternal existence .Hell even if heaven were ever shifting and ever exciting it's just a curtain on the above. face it an afterlife cheapens this one . life is vital and things matter because you won't get another chance to experience them or to experience period.So live now if hell awaits just remember you did so and leave a better world behind you .Those are things no one not even a god can steal from you.
I'm not in the light-hearted position for such advice. I am in a serious situation where my life has been taken away from me due to this worry. Eternal hell would be the worst thing. An eternal heaven would be the greatest thing if it were blissful. If it were boring or a drag, then it would still not be anywhere near as bad as an eternal hell.

Nothing i have said is light hearted and assure you your situation on this issue is no less serious then anyone here

Eternal hell would be the worst thing
why ? sure there would be pain but why should that stop you?

An eternal heaven would be the greatest thing if it were blissful
why?why would bliss make it worth it?

If it were boring or a drag, then it would still not be anywhere near as bad as an eternal hell.
why? could you really stand going slowly insane from the shear mental anguish of an existence of mere existing nothing more.

[Image: giphy.gif]
12-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Still a little confused here.

But i'll give it a shot.

So first things first.

Who hurt you?

At least from the story presented it sounded like you had it pretty good. You're mother seem's kind. And most kids (especially teens) are self-centered. So who got into your head and started pushing this bible crap into it? No one on earth could ever live up to it's impossible standards.

I understand a person wanting to remain neutral. I too called myself an agnostic for the longest time. So ether you believe some sort of god exists or you don't.

You've seemed to center you're sights on the modern christian god. Why do you believe this one this i the one to be afraid of?
The Jewish version, dosen't have hell.
Hinduism has reincarnation. Why don't you fear coming back as a cockroach or or tree?
It Ancient Rome and Greese had Hades, the land of the dead. Everyone pretty much when to the Field of Asphodels. For the ones that created Havoc they where sent to the fields of punishment, but if you where a demigod or a hero you got to get to Elysium.
Nordic's believed if you didn't die in battle you wouldn't be able to get to the halls of Valhalla, and doomed to wonder the earth.

These don't seem to be presenting the same amount of fear in you as the christian punishment.

And is a god that is so willing to torture people for living their lives the best way they know how. Really one that should be listened to or worshiped?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post