I need to be around some like minded people right now

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2015, 09:54 PM
Sad I need to be around some like minded people right now
So I have a typical back story: Raise Catholic (baptized, first holy communion, confirmation) by of all people a single unwed mother, I am an only child. Now my mom is a believer but very laid back, I got all my indoctrination from her 6 sisters and 3 brothers. Particularly 1 of her sisters who happens to live right around the corner from me so getting a ride to Sunday mass or weekly catechism classes was never an issue. After completing all my sacraments I really started to question things here and there which the church I was attending at the time didn't like, so I pretty much left things alone. I left home at 18, moved out of state with my best bud from hs and started an adventure of life. At this point I didn't what an atheist was or that these people even existed. During casual conversation with people through out my life when the topic of religion ever came up of course I was a believer (let us pray). Although my mind had different ideas. Fast forward a few years I met my first atheist, I was stunned. His only advice was read the bible. So I did and guess what now im an atheist. Now fast forward to today: I have a family, wife is believer(kinda), kids are becoming free thinkers all is well.

I say all is well very somberly right now, about a week ago one of my Uncles mom died, she was like a second grandmother to me, very sad but ok she was 95 and lived a pretty healthy life. A few days ago another Uncle of mine lost his nephew(very close with my side of the family) to pancreatic cancer, he was 50 and they only found the cancer at the beginning of august, The funeral is tomorrow. Now as I said I am an only child, but about 8 years ago I met my dad who did have another kid, a daughter who is older. She had 5 kids. Well I got news about a week ago the one of my nieces was in a bad accident and on life support in the hospital. Last night they took her off life support and she did not make it, 18 years old. This will be 3 funerals in 3 weeks. My biggest wish right now is for people to stop saying these people are in a better place. Hence the title I need to be around like minded people. sorry for the long intro. I am not looking for sympathy or anything like that, just someone to chat with even if it's complete unrelated.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like MadDog2288's post
02-09-2015, 10:00 PM
RE: I need to be around some like minded people right now
You've come to the right place.

Join in any thread and express yourself.

Welcome to TTA.

Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
02-09-2015, 10:01 PM
I am sorry to hear of all the losses you are dealing with right now. That's a crazy amount of grief and grieving people around you.

Be sure to take care of yourself. Sleep, eat well.

And realize that you are going hear the 'better place' thing and there's not much you can do other than an internal facepalm. Death really brings out the believers and their platitudes in force...even ones who don't act too religious at other times.

Again, I am very sorry.

Come here to vent...we understand and we can handle it. Let us carry some of the load.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
02-09-2015, 10:06 PM
Welcome to TTA Smile I hope we can be a source of support for you. Hug
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
02-09-2015, 10:11 PM
(02-09-2015 10:00 PM)DLJ Wrote:  You've come to the right place.

Join in any thread and express yourself.

Welcome to TTA.

Thumbsup
Thanks
(02-09-2015 10:01 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am sorry to hear of all the losses you are dealing with right now. That's a crazy amount of grief and grieving people around you.

Be sure to take care of yourself. Sleep, eat well.

And realize that you are going hear the 'better place' thing and there's not much you can do other than an internal facepalm. Death really brings out the believers and their platitudes in force...even ones who don't act too religious at other times.

Again, I am very sorry.

Come here to vent...we understand and we can handle it. Let us carry some of the load.
Thanks for the kind words. Right now Im doing ok just worried about my sister more than anything. I understand death pretty well since I was a firefighter/emt for a few years
02-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Welcome to the forum.

The members are very supportive. They have been wonderful to me through my own battle with cancer.

You're among friends.

So sorry to learn of your losses. Sad

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
02-09-2015, 11:29 PM
Hey man, I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. We're a great place for support.

Try not to take the "better place" comments too hard; other people deal with their grief through fantasies, and it's no skin off our nose if they want to imagine some comfort for the deceased. I tend to look at people like that with a bit of pity, as it strikes me as an inability to deal with reality. It's why we like to joke, "atheism isn't a religion, it's a personal relationship with reality."

Thanks for your work as an EMT/firefighter. Lots of bikers here on this forum, myself included. All my adult life, it has been the policy of every riding group in which I ride to buy drinks (or meal, if they don't drink) for anyone we spot coming off shift in EMT gear/shirts. We do our best to show medical personnel how much they are appreciated. I know it's not a big comfort right now, but hats off to you for that.

We have a "personal issues and support" thread you could look into; it's a protected area where people cannot post harsh or off-topic stuff, and where you can vent to your heart's content and be assured of a sympathetic crowd. If things get tough, we're always here. All the best to you and your family in this difficult time. Hug

And welcome to TTA.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
03-09-2015, 12:13 AM
Welcome. That's a rough few weeks man, sorry Sad

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
03-09-2015, 12:21 AM
People and their god are so goddamn annoying. I personally find my bullshit tolerance level takes a nosedive when raw. Sorry for your losses. Rant away - this is a safe place to let it out.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
03-09-2015, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the kind words...I just sat through the second funeral I was talking about...I sat in the corner minding my own business after I gave my condolences to the family...now one more service to attend this coming week and it will be the hardest of the 3 and to top it off it's a full catholic service, I haven't decided if Im going to participate in all the rituals yet....I may just to help my sister out....btw I am out....loud and proud as some would say, so I have no reason to hide
[+] 1 user Likes MadDog2288's post