I need to rant for a second...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2015, 07:04 AM
I need to rant for a second...
Okay..soo I was at a fairly large car show this weekend, we actually had a classic car on display and the people who put on the show had the cub scouts there..okay..whatever. They had to do their color guard crap and then the cub scout leader had to open with the pledge of allegiance and when it came to the dreaded "under god" part, he really wanted to make sure every person the vicinity had heard him say under GOD. He had a condescending tone to his voice like he was just so much better than everyone else. Total eye roller you know?

Anyways..I don't even get the pledge anyways. Do we REALLY need it? I don't want to my pledge my allegiance to a piece of fabric because that is all it is. Its not alive, it has no magical powers. Its a flag, nothing more and nothing less.

In my opinion, the pledge of allegiance should be this because it makes more sense to me.

"I pledge allegiance to the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Rant over.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like nerwin's post
28-09-2015, 07:09 AM
RE: I need to rant for a second...
I've never understood why believers get so worked up over the "under god" line. It's a fairly small cultural victory to take so much pride in.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
28-09-2015, 07:14 AM
The "Under God" part was added in the 1950's courtesy of the McCarthy assholes...... To weed out "godless commies".. Fucking idiots.

I know guys who remember it showing up one year in grade school --- and going "Huh?? That wasn't there last year!!"

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
28-09-2015, 07:15 AM
(28-09-2015 07:09 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I've never understood why believers get so worked up over the "under god" line. It's a fairly small cultural victory to take so much pride in.

I know..haha. Just wait until they decide to finally remove it and go back to the original version. Some how, it will be christian prosecution or they will say the government is anti-christian and pro-atheist...lol

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
28-09-2015, 10:42 AM
(28-09-2015 07:04 AM)nerwin Wrote:  Okay..soo I was at a fairly large car show this weekend, we actually had a classic car on display and the people who put on the show had the cub scouts there..okay..whatever. They had to do their color guard crap and then the cub scout leader had to open with the pledge of allegiance and when it came to the dreaded "under god" part, he really wanted to make sure every person the vicinity had heard him say under GOD. He had a condescending tone to his voice like he was just so much better than everyone else. Total eye roller you know?

Anyways..I don't even get the pledge anyways. Do we REALLY need it? I don't want to my pledge my allegiance to a piece of fabric because that is all it is. Its not alive, it has no magical powers. Its a flag, nothing more and nothing less.

In my opinion, the pledge of allegiance should be this because it makes more sense to me.

"I pledge allegiance to the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Rant over.

If you're pledging allegiance to a flag, then how isn't that idolization? Consider

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
28-09-2015, 11:00 AM
Well...the flag is symbolic. Nobody is literally pledging anything to a flag. And as online biker said the under god part was added in the 50s. It wasn't in the original pledge.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
28-09-2015, 04:34 PM
And the original pledge was flawed anyway.

Americans are on the 5th version of it.
The 1942 version is the last non theistic version.

It should not be mandatory for the general public and certainly not for children.
It should be mandatory for civil servants and the military.
28-09-2015, 04:36 PM
(28-09-2015 04:34 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  And the original pledge was flawed anyway.

Americans are on the 5th version of it.
The 1942 version is the last non theistic version.

It should not be mandatory for the general public and certainly not for children.
It should be mandatory for civil servants and the military.

I didn't know it was mandatory in public. I never said it in school and no one cared. lol. Hell I don't even stand up for it and no one cares. haha..isn't it my constitutional right to not participate?

28-09-2015, 04:51 PM
I stopped saying the pledge my senior year in high school. I didn't even stand up for it. I had always felt a little creeped out by the ritual. For the first time, I saw a classmate remaining seated during the pledge (not even for religious or cultural reasons), so I decided to follow suit. By the end of the year, there were at least 4 or 5 of us who abstained.
Strength in numbers Smile

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
28-09-2015, 05:32 PM
I had to recite it in the military, and did so without the "under god" horseshit. My allegiance was always to the Constitution, not a flagpole rag.

When my son told me at ten that he didn't believe in any god, I told him he didn't have to recite any or all of the Pledge.

Me, I think it's gratuitous crap, a conformist ritual for folks to reassure themselves that they belong to a nice big group.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post