I need to understand this quote because it's driving me cracy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2015, 08:11 PM
I need to understand this quote because it's driving me cracy
Hey I want know what this means. "A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading" it's by C. S. Lewis. He's a Christian by the way. Thanks if you can explain this for me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes IAMTRAND's post
27-06-2015, 08:28 PM
RE: I need to understand this quote because it's driving me cracy
Probably would help to find the sentences before and after. Context, you know. Although I agree that Lewis was just another shitheaded xtian.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
27-06-2015, 08:44 PM
Lewis was saying to be careful which forums (fora) you join.

Coming here will make you unsound and probably unhinged.

Welcome to TTA

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
27-06-2015, 08:47 PM
I think he believed that if you read enough, you will become a christian and that by filtering what you read, you will remain unconvinced. Most of us here, I wager, fell out of religion because of not filtering our reading. Lewis wasn't all that bright as his writings demonstrate that.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
27-06-2015, 08:57 PM
(27-06-2015 08:47 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I think he believed that if you read enough, you will become a christian and that by filtering what you read, you will remain unconvinced. Most of us here, I wager, fell out of religion because of not filtering our reading. Lewis wasn't all that bright as his writings demonstrate that.
Thanks so much, I'm an agnostic atheist by the way.
[+] 2 users Like IAMTRAND's post
27-06-2015, 08:59 PM
(27-06-2015 08:44 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Lewis was saying to be careful which forums (fora) you join.

Coming here will make you unsound and probably unhinged.

Welcome to TTA
I'm not a Christian, I'm an agnostic atheist. I just have really bad ADHD and the quotes was giving me a lot of anxiety because I couldn't understand it.
27-06-2015, 09:02 PM
(27-06-2015 08:57 PM)IAMTRAND Wrote:  
(27-06-2015 08:47 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I think he believed that if you read enough, you will become a christian and that by filtering what you read, you will remain unconvinced. Most of us here, I wager, fell out of religion because of not filtering our reading. Lewis wasn't all that bright as his writings demonstrate that.
Thanks so much, I'm an agnostic atheist by the way.

Lewis wasn't right in the head. He was profoundly disturbed by the death of his wife.

I'm agnostic too. I don't know if there's a 1957 Chevy orbiting Pluto.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-06-2015, 09:09 PM
(27-06-2015 08:11 PM)IAMTRAND Wrote:  Hey I want know what this means. "A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading" it's by C. S. Lewis. He's a Christian by the way. Thanks if you can explain this for me.

That's easy. C.S. Lewis was a complete moron.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
27-06-2015, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2015 09:27 PM by jennybee.)
I agree with minimalist--are there sentences before and after? I also agree with OC. I think Lewis is saying that one can only remain an atheist if they are not a diligent reader of their bible. I would say this is a good possibility in terms of what Lewis meant because from what I remember, Lewis was a nonbeliever and then became a believer later on after learning more about the bible.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
27-06-2015, 09:14 PM
I think Lewis was implying that to be a good atheist, one must be close-minded.
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post