I need to understand this quote because it's driving me cracy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2015, 09:32 PM
RE: I need to understand this quote because it's driving me cracy
My mom reads his shit all the time and talks about how "brilliant" he was. It's really annoying.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
27-06-2015, 10:49 PM
It's called projecting.
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
28-06-2015, 12:36 AM
(27-06-2015 08:11 PM)IAMTRAND Wrote:  Hey I want know what this means. "A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading" it's by C. S. Lewis. He's a Christian by the way. Thanks if you can explain this for me.

Change atheists with christian and then quote will made sense.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
28-06-2015, 01:55 AM
(27-06-2015 08:11 PM)IAMTRAND Wrote:  Hey I want know what this means. "A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading" it's by C. S. Lewis. He's a Christian by the way. Thanks if you can explain this for me.

He's trying to say that one must exert effort to preserve one's atheism; that when you read widely enough, you will become converted.

Yeah, he was wrong about this one too.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
28-06-2015, 05:17 AM

IMO Lewis is referencing agnosticism. An established atheist would hold no such "wish" or desire, because there exist no alternatives in atheism.
The "young man" seems to imply one who has a feeling or inward curiosity of there possibly existing a creator, and is not yet overly cynical nor committed to years of any given ideology or belief.

Where Lewis trips up, again IMO, is referring to the young man as a sound atheist. No such thing as a sound atheist whom "wishes" to remain so.

As Lewis seems to acknowledge both predestination and free will (Calvinism & Armenianism ) it never became clear to him, where that line was drawn within christian theology.

Evidenced by that quote.

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
[+] 1 user Likes Kestrel's post
28-06-2015, 05:55 AM
For context, there is this ... paragraph 18.

He is talking about his own conversion but make of it what you will.

Undecided

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
28-06-2015, 06:44 AM
Lewis enjoyed the vision of himself as a valuable property in a cosmic war between Good and Evil; there's more than a bit of narcissism and grandiosity in this position but it is typical of many Christians (and we are all the heroes of our own stories, of course). Lewis seems to have believed that there were more, or maybe more better-written, books supporting the existence of god than undermining it. So the more widely read a person is, the more that person will come to doubt their erroneous beliefs.
Of course, Lewis is starting from the position that the truth is that the Christian god exists, which is a primary mistake. (As well, his assertion that encountering contrary points of view will weaken one's beliefs is also not borne out by research about the way people actually behave.)
My belief is that Lewis liked the Christians that he knew better than the atheists that he knew and switched tribes, so to speak, then justified it intellectually after the fact.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
28-06-2015, 01:05 PM
(27-06-2015 09:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Lewis wasn't right in the head. He was profoundly disturbed by the death of his wife.

That may be, but his conversion, the quote in question (from his autobiography), and most of the writings for which he is famous, all predate the death of his wife, so her death could not have been a cause for any of it.

He thought that things he had read were instrumental in his conversion, hence the quote. Although this may have included the Bible, I don't think it was the primary impetus -- that is more likely to have come from people like Chesterton. I actually doubt that he read the Bible closely (although I could be wrong), since it tends to have the opposite effect.

And, to be fair, I don't consider him an idiot. He was one of the foremost intellectuals of his time. He was just wrong. Smart people can be wrong too. The famous logician Kurt Godel was a theist, and even Einstein (like Newton before him) was wrong about some things. None of these men could possible be considered stupid.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
28-06-2015, 01:54 PM
(28-06-2015 01:05 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(27-06-2015 09:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Lewis wasn't right in the head. He was profoundly disturbed by the death of his wife.

That may be, but his conversion, the quote in question (from his autobiography), and most of the writings for which he is famous, all predate the death of his wife, so her death could not have been a cause for any of it.

He thought that things he had read were instrumental in his conversion, hence the quote. Although this may have included the Bible, I don't think it was the primary impetus -- that is more likely to have come from people like Chesterton. I actually doubt that he read the Bible closely (although I could be wrong), since it tends to have the opposite effect.

And, to be fair, I don't consider him an idiot. He was one of the foremost intellectuals of his time. He was just wrong. Smart people can be wrong too. The famous logician Kurt Godel was a theist, and even Einstein (like Newton before him) was wrong about some things. None of these men could possible be considered stupid.
Considering what little I have read of Lewis' theology, I would not be surprised if Chesterton was one of his main influences. He said that the "Everlasting Man" was the best work of popular Christian apologetics at the time and indeed most of his theology can be related back to that book.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
28-06-2015, 04:08 PM
(27-06-2015 08:57 PM)IAMTRAND Wrote:  
(27-06-2015 08:47 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I think he believed that if you read enough, you will become a christian and that by filtering what you read, you will remain unconvinced. Most of us here, I wager, fell out of religion because of not filtering our reading. Lewis wasn't all that bright as his writings demonstrate that.
Thanks so much, I'm an agnostic atheist by the way.

*groan*

[Image: oscar.png]