I never use atheist as a noun, always as an adjective.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2012, 11:53 AM
I never use atheist as a noun, always as an adjective.
Does anyone else do this? I hate using the word atheist as a noun. As in, I am an atheist. Something about making it a noun makes me feel like I'm grouping myself in with other atheists. I don't have anything against other atheists (obviously) but I don't like the idea of being classified like a belief system for lack of belief. I always say "I am atheist" or refer to others as atheist as opposed to 'an' atheist.

Is that weird?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
17-01-2012, 12:28 PM
RE: I never use atheist as a noun, always as an adjective.
In my mind they're kind of the same
"Im muslim"
"Im a muslim"
"Im Atheist"
"Im an Atheist"

I think that both forms are accurate in describing what your views are on the subject of god,
when language succesfully conveys the meaning that indicates that it is used properly.
Similarly when someone says "Xtians" we know he means "Christians" in which case the content of
his communication was recieved.
It is however the nasty habit of people to presume on your atheism, something which i find theists will do
regardless of whether what form in which you say ur an atheist.
"You're an Atheist? do you want to legalize weed/abortion/gay marriage/guns/etc...?"
I wouldn't find it wierd if an atheist did oppose some of these issues based on some argument or another
but i dont presume on their atheism that they automatically share all the oppinions and views of other atheists.
The creation in the minds of theists of a non-exsistant organization called "Atheism" which hands out memo's for people to tell them
what to believe and how to act.
But it's important to know that for whatever reason an atheist opposes the views of another atheist its based on
purely secular reasoning and not religious, e.g."i think drugs should be illegal because such, and such, and heres a study
that supports my argument" Vs. "drugs are bad because the quran says so"
And one thing that i have experienced personally, is that atheists tend to be more open to changing their minds on
different issues depending on the arguments and evidence or atleast agree to revise their opinions. You can see this happen on
our very own forum here Smile

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
[+] 1 user Likes Jackrabbit's post
17-01-2012, 12:48 PM
"Atheist" is an identifier. You are not comfortable with that identity and neither am I, while jackrabbit is equivocating. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2012, 01:05 PM
(17-01-2012 12:48 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  "Atheist" is an identifier. You are not comfortable with that identity and neither am I, while jackrabbit is equivocating. Tongue

People, especially around here, already have their blood pressure spike just from hearing the word atheist. So to them it really doesn't matter whether I'm atheist or whether I'm an atheist. They automatically assume I lack morals and am a bad person. It has more to do with those theists who've not sheltered themselves from atheism by discussing religious topics online or in other places. I don't want to be though of as 'an' atheist or 'one of those people'. I'm not a 'those people'. I don't believe in god and that has absolutely no impact on anything else about me. So while I may be atheist I'm also libertarian, and existentialist, a romantic, eclectic, open minded, a football fan, a father, etc. Claiming to be 'an' atheist makes it sound like I'm
-athiest
-liberal
-militant
-etc
as if I belong to some group of atheists.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
17-01-2012, 01:29 PM
My preference also is for the adjective form, but I use both.
17-01-2012, 01:30 PM
(17-01-2012 01:05 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(17-01-2012 12:48 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  "Atheist" is an identifier. You are not comfortable with that identity and neither am I, while jackrabbit is equivocating. Tongue

People, especially around here, already have their blood pressure spike just from hearing the word atheist. So to them it really doesn't matter whether I'm atheist or whether I'm an atheist. They automatically assume I lack morals and am a bad person. It has more to do with those theists who've not sheltered themselves from atheism by discussing religious topics online or in other places. I don't want to be though of as 'an' atheist or 'one of those people'. I'm not a 'those people'. I don't believe in god and that has absolutely no impact on anything else about me. So while I may be atheist I'm also libertarian, and existentialist, a romantic, eclectic, open minded, a football fan, a father, etc. Claiming to be 'an' atheist makes it sound like I'm
-athiest
-liberal
-militant
-etc
as if I belong to some group of atheists.

I have an agenda which makes "atheist" a lower archetype. I know what you're saying, but in general terms the only people who matter are atheists. Big Grin

I'm evil - how many times are these identifiers used in a day? - but my agenda is in momentum. My faction may not remain Blue Suns, but the whole comedic production is underway; I just need a crew. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
17-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Well then how do you identify yourself?
A:"are you rerligous?"
Gt(you): "No i dont believe in god"
A: "so you're an atheist?"
Gt: "i dont identify with that term i prefer this (rationalist/bright/secular humanist/nontheist/[insert term here]"
-sidetracked conversation on the difference and losing sight on the main issue of the topic*-

*= assuming the topic is not on terminology

It simply conveys 1 meaning that "i dont believe in a god/gods"
anyone who takes any more meaning than that is assuming and should be called on it.

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
17-01-2012, 01:36 PM
(17-01-2012 01:30 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  Well then how do you identify yourself?
A:"are you rerligous?"
Gt(you): "No i dont believe in god"
A: "so you're an atheist?"
Gt: "i dont identify with that term i prefer this (rationalist/bright/secular humanist/nontheist/[insert term here]"
-sidetracked conversation on the difference and losing sight on the main issue of the topic*-

*= assuming the topic is not on terminology

It simply conveys 1 meaning that "i dont believe in a god/gods"
anyone who takes any more meaning than that is assuming and should be called on it.

I might say "I wouldn't say 'an' athiest but yes, I'm atheist."

If they asked what the difference is then I supposed I'd spend 10 seconds explaining it.

-Mark Twain
17-01-2012, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2012 01:58 PM by Jackrabbit.)
well good luck with that xD some people are just thick and wont get it.
The whole thing seems like a feutile experiment to me, whichever word conveys the meaning
works best, some people want to change the word because of the taboo attatched to it
i dont really care, the word is there and it delivers.
but im interested to see how it works out for you, for me ill wear it proudly like a badge
that says "I escaped the hold of bronze-age desert superstition"

[+] 1 user Likes Jackrabbit's post
17-01-2012, 03:09 PM
I think the whole reason it bugs you is probably the same reason it would bug a black person if he/she were asked "hey are you one of them blacks?" because it adds a negative connotation to it.
Like being called an atheist is a derogatory term.
I see where you are coming from.
I personally refer to myself as atheist just so I don't have to have the semantics debate that I've had on here even several times.
I'm not an atheist though. I'm close but no cigar. Still I associate with the term in any form for simplicities sake and grit my teeth. I see where youre coming from though Germany.
Matter of fact one of the reasons I'm comfortable using the term atheist is simply because with it comes the assumption that I am anti religion which I am. But there's no real name for that. I takes what's I gets.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post