I never use atheist as a noun, always as an adjective.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2012, 03:10 PM
RE: I never use atheist as a noun, always as an adjective.
(17-01-2012 03:09 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I think the whole reason it bugs you is probably the same reason it would bug a black person if he/she were asked "hey are you one of them blacks?" because it adds a negative connotation to it.
Like being called an atheist is a derogatory term.
I see where you are coming from.
I personally refer to myself as atheist just so I don't have to have the semantics debate that I've had on here even several times.
I'm not an atheist though. I'm close but no cigar. Still I associate with the term in any form for simplicities sake and grit my teeth. I see where youre coming from though Germany.
Matter of fact one of the reasons I'm comfortable using the term atheist is simply because with it comes the assumption that I am anti religion which I am. But there's no real name for that. I takes what's I gets.

Maybe that's it. Asking 'Are you black?' and 'Are you a black?' are two very different questions.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2012, 06:42 PM
RE: I never use atheist as a noun, always as an adjective.
(17-01-2012 12:28 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  It is however the nasty habit of people to presume on your atheism, something which i find theists will do
regardless of whether what form in which you say ur an atheist.
"You're an Atheist? do you want to legalize weed/abortion/gay marriage/guns/etc...?"
I wouldn't find it wierd if an atheist did oppose some of these issues based on some argument or another
but i dont presume on their atheism that they automatically share all the oppinions and views of other atheists.
The creation in the minds of theists of a non-exsistant organization called "Atheism" which hands out memo's for people to tell them
what to believe and how to act.
But it's important to know that for whatever reason an atheist opposes the views of another atheist its based on
purely secular reasoning and not religious, e.g."i think drugs should be illegal because such, and such, and heres a study
that supports my argument" Vs. "drugs are bad because the quran says so"
And one thing that i have experienced personally, is that atheists tend to be more open to changing their minds on
different issues depending on the arguments and evidence or atleast agree to revise their opinions. You can see this happen on
our very own forum here Smile

I see a lot of atheists doing this as well when people say they're Christian. Most people seem eager to lump the other group together to try and demonize them and feel better about which group they belong to.

James 1:27
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world"

"Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist." C.S. Lewis
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply