I never wanted to be an athiest...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2015, 08:55 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2015 09:56 PM by evenheathen.)
RE: I never wanted to be an athiest...
(29-03-2015 07:54 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I never wanted to live in reality.

I would rather ride a unichorn on a chocolate street into the vanila sunst.

But guess why I dont.

Because "unichorn" is a potentially really funny oxymoron? Angel

(come on now... Unic......horn....do I have to draw pictures?)

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2015, 12:47 PM
Between the ages of 14 and 21 or so, if you could have peered into my head, you might have found this thought: "I wish I could believe, I wish I could think that there was somebody or something that loved me unconditionally. A being that held my existence as important and necessary. Something to rely on when things are hard, and nobody has my back. Something that explained all the things I don't understand. I wish I had a community that shared my beliefs, people who I could relate to and grow with. I wish I could believe that the people who die, still exist and are happy. I wish I believed in an after life. But I just don't, because it doesn't make any sense, and I can't change that."

I was always an atheist, but in those years I was going through a lot, especially loneliness and feeling insignificant when I was single, or grief when I lost somebody I cared about. But ultimately I couldn't believe what I don't believe, regardless of what I wanted. And you know what, I'm glad I've "kept it real" all these years. I now feel I really appreciate life, and all of its mystery, harshness, and reality.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
18-04-2015, 02:47 PM
(18-03-2015 03:16 PM)Jorsen Wrote:  I wish I could have the happiness and strength of Sagan, Dawkins, and Hitchens but I feel so weak and fearful. I am so very human.

I hope to one day have some of their courage. I have it in glimpses but it leaves as quickly as it comes.

"Show me the boy at 6 and I'll show you the man."

You were taught from birth that 'courage' is not a human trait but something that comes from god. So now as an adult you've disabused yourself of the god notion but you're still clinging to this ridiculous idea that you're susceptible, vulnerable & frightened.

Ya know the problem with religion is that they've created a god in the image of man but put him outside and above man. Well, let me tell you something. Snake oil is made from the same stuff and in the exact same way.

Listen to Christopher Hitchen's debates on YouTube. Listen to his lectures. You'll come to realize that your inherent courage has been with you all along. It was just buried in dogma for so long. Time to dig it up, my friend.

Tallulah
[+] 1 user Likes Tallulah's post
18-04-2015, 02:51 PM
Look at the upside....

You get to sleep in on Sundays now....

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post