I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2014, 09:15 PM
I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
I had the surprise of a lifetime today.This is the first time that I have ever met a fellow atheist!!!
I was attending a service dog training session and afterwards I started talking to a guy about Afghanistan and PTSD. All of the sudden he said "Religion is bullshit!". I couldn't believe my ears. I turned my head in slow motion ... like in the movies... I asked him if by that he meant that he doesn't believe in god to which he said NO. NO!!!!! I asked him if he was an atheist and when he told me that both him and his girlfriend are. I nearly jumped out of my skin for joy. I felt hope, I felt understood, and I felt free to speak my mind.
I asked him what drove him to be an atheist and he said science! JACKPOT!
I asked him if he listens to TTA podcast and he said YES!
What a wonderful feeling!
I once was lost but now am found, Was blind, but now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 14 users Like Elenambass's post
06-09-2014, 09:35 PM
RE: I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
We're everywhere. We're just so used to keeping it a secret. Had the same thing happen the other day with a coworker when explaining that i was a preacher's kid, but he knows I'm no saint.

He asked, "So, you going to heaven or hell? "

I said, I'm not convinced either of them exist. He smiled and replied, "My kinda guy! ".
Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
06-09-2014, 09:36 PM
But is he on the forums???

Smile

I found a local atheist group on Facebook, and found out a few of them live in my neighborhood. We met up recently and had a great time. In fact, our daughters were assigned to sit next to each other in class. It's destiny! Tongue

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
06-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Yep - in the gospel choir we took part in a festival in Paris a couple of weeks ago and two of us were chatting before the gig in a quiet part of the church, she asked me what church I went to and I said I was an atheist - her reaction was "Thank heavens for that I thought I was the only one in this choir!"

We get everywhere...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 2 users Like CiderThinker's post
06-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Hahahaha! What on earth were you doing on a gospel choir?
(06-09-2014 09:40 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Yep - in the gospel choir we took part in a festival in Paris a couple of weeks ago and two of us were chatting before the gig in a quiet part of the church, she asked me what church I went to and I said I was an atheist - her reaction was "Thank heavens for that I thought I was the only one in this choir!"

We get everywhere...
06-09-2014, 09:51 PM
I am not sure if he is in the forum. I shall ask him next time. I am going to look up atheist local groups right now. maybe I get lucky!Dodgy

Thank you for the suggestion!
07-09-2014, 04:50 AM
I love that song, and refuse to accept that it is meant to be religious. I do like your interpretation of it though.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
07-09-2014, 05:19 AM
(06-09-2014 09:46 PM)Elenambass Wrote:  Hahahaha! What on earth were you doing on a gospel choir?
(06-09-2014 09:40 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Yep - in the gospel choir we took part in a festival in Paris a couple of weeks ago and two of us were chatting before the gig in a quiet part of the church, she asked me what church I went to and I said I was an atheist - her reaction was "Thank heavens for that I thought I was the only one in this choir!"

We get everywhere...

The music gets me high...and I'm in the UK where it's less cut and dried than maybe in the US....

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 2 users Like CiderThinker's post
07-09-2014, 06:24 AM
My gardener and my doc are atheist - but I would have never found out if I had not broached the subject. It's just not something that comes up in everyday conversation, and most people are pretty closeted.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-09-2014, 07:05 AM
Has anyone else noticed that traumatic experiences are often the cause of a person's deconversion?

In many instances when I have met other atheists I discovered that there was a profound loss that changed their belief in a god.

The lastest was an acquaintance I had known for years but religion was never a topic. I don't remember how the theme came up but he told me of how agonizing the death of his mother had been and he was now convinced that there is no god or that it is a cruel and soulless prick.

BTW Elenambass I like the fact you train service dogs. Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce