I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2014, 07:20 AM
RE: I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
(07-09-2014 07:05 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Has anyone else noticed that traumatic experiences are often the cause of a person's deconversion?

In my experience a traumatic experience may be the catalyst that allowed the person to step back and examine their beliefs but the actual deconversion came later as they realized how vacuous the arguments to believe truly are when critically examined.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2014, 07:32 AM
(07-09-2014 07:20 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 07:05 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Has anyone else noticed that traumatic experiences are often the cause of a person's deconversion?

In my experience a traumatic experience may be the catalyst that allowed the person to step back and examine their beliefs but the actual deconversion came later as they realized how vacuous the arguments to believe truly are when critically examined.

Welcome, unfogged.

What a highly appropriate username for this thread.

As an ex-colleague once said after he split up with his then girlfriend:
"I can see clearly now Lorraine has gone".

Big Grin

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
07-09-2014, 07:33 AM
(07-09-2014 07:32 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 07:20 AM)unfogged Wrote:  In my experience a traumatic experience may be the catalyst that allowed the person to step back and examine their beliefs but the actual deconversion came later as they realized how vacuous the arguments to believe truly are when critically examined.

Welcome, unfogged.

What a highly appropriate username for this thread.

As an ex-colleague once said after he split up with his then girlfriend:
"I can see clearly now Lorraine has gone".

Big Grin

Weeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
07-09-2014, 11:24 AM
This is a great story! Most of my social circle is atheist even when I was a Christian. It's great to know like minded people, and I do believe atheism is on the rise. Smile

Be true to yourself. Heart
07-09-2014, 01:08 PM
(06-09-2014 09:15 PM)Elenambass Wrote:  I had the surprise of a lifetime today.This is the first time that I have ever met a fellow atheist!!!

I have fond memories of the first time I met an atheist girl in the real world.

The conversation never found it's way to TTA, internet forums or science though. We were too busy putting truth to the claim that atheists just want to sin.

And by "sin," of course, I mean taking the Lord's name in vain... Angel

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 3 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
07-09-2014, 01:27 PM
Man, I can relate. Moreso when I moved home after college because I already had some atheist friends before I lost my faith. Now that I'm on my own and having to meet people on my own, it's more of a "sweet Jesus Christ I'm not alone!" moment when I mention something to the effect that I don't believe in god and they say, "yeah, I don't either."

[Image: notagain.gif]
08-09-2014, 07:28 AM
(06-09-2014 09:36 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I found a local atheist group on Facebook, and found out a few of them live in my neighborhood. We met up recently and had a great time. In fact, our daughters were assigned to sit next to each other in class. It's destiny! Tongue

God is telling you two you're on the right path.

Dodgy
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post