I outed myself... on Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2015, 07:37 AM
RE: I outed myself... on Facebook
I nearly outed myself of Facebook last year. Facepalm I had a pretty pissed mom on my hands and lotsa lying and backtracking and subsequent deleting of posts. Now I come here to rant Big Grin About the only thing I post on my Facebook these days are pics of my son. Although I did post two birthday pics, had to have a dirty martini pic for my flirty dirty thirty.

Unsure Right now she thinks I'm a super liberal Christian, and she's cool with that idea. I don't hide my support of gay rights, gender equality, alcohol use, dancing, etc.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
07-05-2015, 11:45 AM
I would like to out myself on Facebook. I am only afraid that someone will stab me after that, for my own good, of course, so that I can experience mercy and love of the God.

Is it a good idea? Maybe I could meet more atheists?
07-05-2015, 01:07 PM
(07-05-2015 11:45 AM)IdealistThinker Wrote:  . I am only afraid that someone will stab me after that, for my own good, of course, so that I can experience mercy and love of the God.

If you actually think this that should tell you the answer.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
12-05-2016, 12:44 PM
Hi Folks! I just saw the responses! I thought I would have received notification and thought no one saw my post. Very sorry.

Good questions!! So, my whole family knows that I am an atheist. My mother took months to ask me out right after beating around the bush. She knew my boyfriend is an atheist so she went about asking that way but I didn't tell her until she asked me finally. I have had good conversations with her about it and I know she is worried but she is respectful... mostly. She has had a couple of conversations with two of my girlfriends (who are non believers). She says that I preached atheism on FB. It surprised the shit out of me because the only time I speak about my non belief is when I am defending the secularism to someone who is misinformed and once in a blue moon a brilliant video by The Thinking Atheist. It's wacky. I open up Facebook and I can't avoid seeing something about god or a verse from someone on Facebook unless I block or unfriend. I can handle seeing the bullshit, I love my friends and family and I can totally handle what I see on their Facebook page but if I see something that says atheists think this or whatever I will say something. Somehow, that makes me the one preaching atheism. HOWEVER, it's been a load off to live truthfully with everyone. I know it's not as easy for others and for that I do feel more compelled to speak up for non belief.
[+] 6 users Like Aengelh's post
12-05-2016, 01:45 PM
Hey - all you can do, is all you can do. Right? Shy

Good to have you back for a visit. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
15-05-2016, 09:44 AM
I know how you feel. I came out as an athiest last year and I come from a devout southern baptist family. I have facebook so my relatives can see how my kids are doing and stuff. I get so sick of floods of comments like turn or burn im going to hell and stuff like that. It drives me bonkers. Ive had people delete me just because I dont beleive anymore. It wears me down sometimes.I live Texas but most of my family is from Alabama and Im also a married to a devout christian. I do not beleive in any god or gods but you can imagine how toxic it can be with floods of comments I get sent my way.
15-05-2016, 01:49 PM
That is so disgusting that someone has the gull to tell you you're gonna burn in hell because you don't believe in their nonsense. That would be tiresome.
15-05-2016, 03:44 PM
I have zero experience of this issue. I grew up atheist.

You could always tell them you have decided to follow Zeus. Then when they ask if you read the book, hand them a copy of Homer. Smile

But seriously, good luck.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post