I realize I was right when I was 7

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2013, 11:27 AM
I was just thinking today about my arguments against believers. The usual ones. I realize that I had these same arguments when I was just a little kid raised in church.

How come I have to pray should'nt God already know what I want?
How come God fucks people over when he "loves them"
How come people can be born in the wrong faith and either have to change out or go to hell, that's kinda fucked up right?
So you mean I can be a dickhead all my life, say I'm down with Jesus, die and go to Heaven but a good ol dude that is a something else that helps people will go to hell for not believing in him?

I got all the same bullshit answers about God works in mysterious ways and so on. I bought it.

Funny how in hindsight I realize these arguments were not just stupid kid arguments but made common sense and the adults that were telling me otherwise were just conned into believing the shit that did not make sense.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2013, 12:34 PM
RE: I realize I was right when I was 7
There are some questions I asked as a kid that I only recently realized were good questions that I never got good answers for. Though in my case it wasn't about religion, but politics, history, and social traditions.

Sometimes kids have the power of seeing the obvious. They're usually curious and like to challenge authority, so they sometimes ask important questions without realizing just how important they are. The problem is that they end up accepting the evasive or nonsensical answers they're given because they don't know enough to critically examine them or realize that older people aren't experts in everything.

Some of those people carry those non-answers into adulthood and start the cycle anew...

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 3 users Like Elesjei's post
17-10-2013, 12:51 PM
A lot of the people I looked up to when I was a kid are no longer people I look up to anymore. 'Tis the cycle of life...

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
17-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Huh. Thinking about it now, I never really thought about those questions until I was a bit older. When I was little, I was happy go lucky and didn't give a fuck, so it might as well have been real.

It was the teen angst that got me. The "this isn't fair" and the feelings of being so oppressed is when I started to posit these questions on my faith in god. I was indoctrinated pretty good, but luckily being a PK gave me the fuel to become a heathen, and then later in life when I actually took the time to work the questions out, an evenheathen. Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
17-10-2013, 06:23 PM
I remember being about 8 and learning about dinosaurs in school. I wondered why the bible never mentioned them. And how do they fit into the timeline of history? That was the first time I was told "not to question the bible like that." It seemed as suspicious to me then as now.
17-10-2013, 07:05 PM
I remember at 8 thinking how in the hell did the entire world flood.

"Laissez nous faire!"

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for mine."
18-10-2013, 10:16 AM
I was into history and politics as a little kid for some reason. Maybe from just watching the nightly news with Tom Brokaw idk. I vividly remember being told about Heaven when i was a kid and specificlally being told that you will instantly know everything when you get there. I thought "cool I will then know who shot JFK"
18-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Need some scientific arguments?

How did the light appear without the sun?
How did the Earth formed without the sun?
How did the water form before land on the earth?
How did the plants grow without photosynthesis (No Sun - No photosynthesis)

And you can ask plenty of these kind of questions after reading only the first 2 or 3 pages of bible.
I'm sure the only answer believers have is "he is a fucking God, he could figure it out".

And they still think that science is on believers side.

P.S. check that out
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ion-of-EVE