I really hate the holidays.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2012, 04:51 AM
RE: I really hate the holidays.
(21-11-2012 05:31 PM)Heretikus Wrote:  I really don't enjoy the holiday season. Every year it's the same old thing.

People calling and saying that they "know I don't really not believe in god" and all the other usual fanfare.

I hate fighting with Christians about pointless stuff that will never get anywhere or lead to anything of value.

I just want to live my life in peace.

I just wanted to rant briefly and get that off my chest. Whew. All better now.

Why can't people just see through the statements about religion and see that, despite the fact that they may disagree with your philosophical and theological position, they still love you? Honestly, if you don't want to fight with theists, then disengage. Some atheists look at the holidays in a far too serious light.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2012, 08:44 AM
I am really lucky that my family is not religious. So I love the holidays. And I mean the holidays are so commercial now I don't even think of them as religious anymore.
23-11-2012, 10:12 AM
I enjoy the holidays but I understand why some people don't. Even though I was raised Jewish, I still like seeing the holiday lights (provided they are not up until this weekend, TYVM), all the festive stuff going on, the knowledge I'm going to take some time off from work soon, the college bowl season, winter beers, and seeing family. There are aspects I don't care for, of course, like the crowds at the stores and what not, but generally I like this time of year.

Once January comes it is time for the winter of my discontent, that long cold season until I can start cycling again. I ride in the winter some but it's not the same. I don't ride if there is any snow on the ground as it is too likely to have black ice on the ground, which is the bane of cycling. My birthday is in January which I always enjoy and don't mind the winter but I think it's my least favorite time of the year.

Anyway, on the original topic: I do enjoy this time of year. I get why others do not.

Dom - sorry to read about your loss. That is tough. And, I think this time of year is especially hard on people who have recently experienced loss. I fully understand wanting to be with your dogs, as I have dogs myself. Don't ignore the people who love you and want to help you too, though.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
13-12-2012, 04:27 PM
(22-11-2012 11:56 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I'm weird with the holidays. There are brief moments when I look around; I see the lights and hear the jingles and feel the cold, and the cinematic part of my brain is engorged and I take it all in as thought it were a movie of some sort.

Then I snap back to reality, realize it's the holidays, and just wanna shoot myself in the face.

The season's drinking is well underway here at Mordhaus.

(That's what I call my house)
I like to look around and imagine that things are a movie and try and imagine that there will be some sort of comic relief and happy times during the holidays, but nope. Hello reality, the only comic relief available is religious logic during the holidays and watching the sheep move from church to store to church to store.
13-12-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm sorry Dom for your loss.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...