I really hate this...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2013, 09:37 AM
I really hate this...
At the end of july, we had a terrible hailstorm that totally shattered my window. Since most people in the area had to cope with similar problems, my landlord couldn’t reach someone to get it repaired.
The thing is… it’s almost October now and he still can’t “reach” anyone.

My landlord lives just beneath my shared apartment and I just moved in 3 months ago, I didn’t want trouble already, so I just assumed it’ll get fixed before it’s getting colder.

The real problem is, my mum still pays for the rent (and will probably to do so for about the next two months) and she wants the rent to be lowered due to the broken window. I totally agree with that. It’s just… my social anxiety prevents me from going down there and telling him that I’ll hold on to a part of the rent, because I’m pretty sure he won’t be like “Sure, keep as much as you want!”.

Now my mum told me if I don’t tell him by tonight, she either won’t pay at all or drive here (2 hour drive) tomorrow and “talk” to my landlord herself.

I really hate this anxiety shit… I’m 21, but sometimes I feel like a little child with no confidence at all.

[Image: panda_0077.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2013, 09:40 AM
RE: I really hate this...
(26-09-2013 09:37 AM)Taro Wrote:  At the end of july, we had a terrible hailstorm that totally shattered my window. Since most people in the area had to cope with similar problems, my landlord couldn’t reach someone to get it repaired.

My landlord lives just beneath my shared apartment and I just moved in 3 months ago, I didn’t want trouble already, so I just assumed it’ll get fixed before it’s getting colder.

The real problem is, my mum still pays for the rent (and will probably to do so for about the next two months) and she wants the rent to be lowered due to the broken window. I totally agree with that. It’s just… my social anxiety prevents me from going down there and telling him that I’ll hold on to a part of the rent, because I’m pretty sure he won’t be like “Sure, keep as much as you want!”.

Now my mum told me if I don’t tell him by tonight, she either won’t pay at all or drive here (2 hour drive) tomorrow and “talk” to my landlord herself.

I really hate this anxiety shit… I’m 21, but sometimes I feel like a little child with no confidence at all.

Most states have laws that would require him to fix it asap if the weather gets to cold to have no window.

Refuse to pay the rent until it is fixed and tell him if it is not done in 30 days you will take him to court. Do not let your landlord get away with that bs.

It is a window not a phone pole or an entire wall. Maybe try calling someone yourself and work it out get if fixed and deduct that from your next months rent. Then find a new place to live with a responsible landlord and report this one to your state board.
26-09-2013, 09:48 AM
(26-09-2013 09:37 AM)Taro Wrote:  At the end of july, we had a terrible hailstorm that totally shattered my window. Since most people in the area had to cope with similar problems, my landlord couldn’t reach someone to get it repaired.

Handling these types of issues is difficult at first and for some always is. You really should try talking to them. Be polite but firm.

This amount of delay cannot be excused. You're paying rent and the place should be safe and up to code.

Depending on where you live there may be organizations to deal with this type of thing. They would be able to tell you how and when to withhold rent legally.

Good luck!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
26-09-2013, 09:51 AM
You could ask him if it was ok if YOU took care of the window and deducted the cost from the rent...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
26-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Find the local ordinance on the internet, about repairs, and tape it on his door, with a note that says the rent will be paid into an escrow account at the bank, until the repairs are made. Be SURE the rent IS paid into the account. Keep records. Take pictures. Call the local housing authority, and report it, and get the name of the person you speak to.
You don't have to interact with them.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-09-2013, 10:10 AM
This link has some information about tenants' rights organizations in Germany. Contact a local one, and get some advice on how to proceed.

Once you know what your path is, then tell the landlord (in writing, if you prefer not to be face-to-face) how the situation is to be resolved. For instance, fixing the problem within one week, and also money off of rent for past months of his failure to provide secure housing, or whatever the remedy may be.

From what I gather, tenants' rights in Germany are quite strong. I think a local organization can help you.

I hate conflict too. I'm fine with handling emergencies, but being in conflicts makes me panic and either retreat or get over-the-top angry. Neither is productive. So, I make use of representatives, like a lawyer, or my wife. There's no shame in recognizing limits and handling them positively.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
[+] 2 users Like I Am's post
26-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Thank you all Smile

Calling organizations etc is really kinda more scary than actually talking to him Tongue. I guess it's hard to imagine how I can function at all in daily life, but I even struggle asking roomates to borrow their vacuum..

Anyway, I just managed to go down there, as quickly as possible so I couldn't think of anything bad that could happen. And he isn't home. Not sure if that makes me happy or mad... but one of his sons was at home and I told him to tell his father I wanted to talk to him about the rent. So hopefully he will come up later. Or better not Undecided. Too late.

[Image: panda_0077.gif]
26-09-2013, 11:13 AM
I struggled with this too, getting angry worked for me a lot, just work yourself up, get mad at him for not fixing your window then go and tell him some truths... when the anxiety kicks in it will make you calm down, but you'll be there and have that extra juice you need to tell him to do his job. With time and practice it will get easier as you see you can do these things without bad consequences Smile

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
26-09-2013, 11:28 AM
The other posters all have good suggestions. Seeing as how upsetting your landlord could lead to further issues for you, I would go the diplomatic route and contact someone to fix the window. Just get a price and a time frame, then talk to him and let him know you 'ran into' someone who is willing to fix it, and you'd be happy to arrange to do so and deduct the price from the rent.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
26-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Ok, I've got an idea:

Wait for a day when it's over cast and windy. Get a small but sturdy branch from a nearby tree and throw it at one of his windows. Not hard, just enough to break it.

No doubt he will then be able “reach” someone to take care of it. Be sure to be on hand to remind him to take care of yours, as well.

What?
Blink

I didn't say it was a good idea, I just said I had one. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post