I really hate this...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2013, 11:35 AM
RE: I really hate this...
Just take this one hard step in talking to your landlord, and you'll feel so much relief when it's all over because you'll know you did the right thing for yourself.

Changing behavior has momentum to it, so just get the ball rolling and you'll be going at a nice steady pace in no time. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Shawnzy's post
26-09-2013, 12:22 PM
I SO much agree with the above.
Gaining, (or re-gaining) an amount of confidence, (or self-confidence) is a process.
Take one small step, then the next small step. Just think about the NEXT *small* step. You can do it. I won't bore you with my sad/pathetic story, but, believe me, I was where you are. Exactly where you are. And look at me know. One of the most obnoxious people on TTA.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-09-2013, 12:55 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2013 01:56 PM by Taro.)
(26-09-2013 11:30 AM)kim Wrote:  Ok, I've got an idea:

Wait for a day when it's over cast and windy. Get a small but sturdy branch from a nearby tree and throw it at one of his windows. Not hard, just enough to break it.

No doubt he will then be able “reach” someone to take care of it. Be sure to be on hand to remind him to take care of yours, as well.

What?
Blink

I didn't say it was a good idea, I just said I had one. Dodgy

Yeah uhm.... I forgot to say... one of his windows (although, it was a different kind of window, much simpler to replace) was broken too. And it got fixed about a month ago Tongue. That also shows... I don't get mad easily Big Grin. So filling myself with anger beforehand might not work that well. I really never fight with anyone (besides my brother).

I had to deal with social anxiety for pretty much my whole life, at times I've had more therapists than friends Big Grin. I was getting better at these things, but my moving gave me the opportunity to... not socially interact. But Uni will start in two weeks, I guess it'll get better then.

He's still not home, and it's kinda late now... so I'm thinking of just putting a letter that states that I'll lower the rent in front of his door, and he can talk to me if he wants to..

[Image: panda_0077.gif]
26-09-2013, 01:44 PM
(26-09-2013 12:55 PM)Taro Wrote:  She's still not home, and it's kinda late now... so I'm thinking of just putting a letter that states that I'll lower the rent in front of her door, and she can talk to me if she wants to..

Good luck Smile Scary stuff huh ? You're doing well though Smile
26-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Looks like you need to step up or keep getting stepped on.

Remind the landlord of his responsibilities and also to the potential of further damage to the property in the event of bad weather.

Sounds to me like he is betting you won't push the issue.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
26-09-2013, 02:13 PM
(26-09-2013 12:55 PM)Taro Wrote:  
(26-09-2013 11:30 AM)kim Wrote:  Ok, I've got an idea:

Wait for a day when it's over cast and windy. Get a small but sturdy branch from a nearby tree and throw it at one of his windows. Not hard, just enough to break it.

No doubt he will then be able “reach” someone to take care of it. Be sure to be on hand to remind him to take care of yours, as well.

What?
Blink

I didn't say it was a good idea, I just said I had one. Dodgy

Yeah uhm.... I forgot to say... one of his windows (although, it was a different kind of window, much simpler to replace) was broken too. And it got fixed about a month ago Tongue. That also shows... I don't get mad easily Big Grin. So filling myself with anger beforehand might not work that well. I really never fight with anyone (besides my brother).

I had to deal with social anxiety for pretty much my whole life, at times I've had more therapists than friends Big Grin. I was getting better at these things, but my moving gave me the opportunity to... not socially interact. But Uni will start in two weeks, I guess it'll get better then.

He's still not home, and it's kinda late now... so I'm thinking of just putting a letter that states that I'll lower the rent in front of his door, and he can talk to me if he wants to..

oh, I wasnt' saying you should fight him, just get mad to get that extra umph you need to overcome the anxiety... but it doesn't work for everyone of course Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
26-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Is the landlord the property owner or merely a property manager living there at a reduced or free rent to maintain the property? If they are merely a property manager you could just contact the owner (anonymously even) and tell them "Hey, you've had this broken window on your property for months now and it's a blight on the neighborhood and not only diminishes the value of your property, it's diminishing the property value of all your neighbors as well." If they're the property owner, well I'd tell them the same thing.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
27-09-2013, 01:26 AM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2013 05:54 AM by Taro.)
I was just checking for mail when he came up to me and said, he was going to make an appointment today to get my window fixed... He knew about my window since the storm, had been up here himself and saw it, and I've asked him several times if he was able to reach someone. Then he hears something about rent and suddenly it works Angry. Well at least I get my window, finally.

[Image: panda_0077.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Taro's post
27-09-2013, 02:24 AM
Verbatim message I sent to my landlord's agent last week:
"Air conditioning, TV, washing machine...
I wonder how cheap the rent would be in a place that didn't have those basic amenities?"

No reply

2 days later, followed up with:
"Do I need to escalate this? Or are you dealing with it? Or just ignoring me until the contract expires?"

New TV arrives tomorrow.

27-09-2013, 08:00 AM
I used to be like that a bit. It's something you have to learn to do. You aren't a child anymore. You have responsibilities. Most importantly, you are responsible for yourself. My advice is give him a call, let him know that is is serious enough that you will leave if it isn't fixed. In most places the law is on your side...if not, everywhere. He is probably NOT holding up his end of the deal from a legal standpoint. First, examine your contract. Second, examine the local laws. If the person is not inclined to agree with you (and is breaking the law) you may have cause for legal action - small claims court. If the phone call doesn't resolve it you may have to just get braver and go down to the front office. You gotta do whatcha gotta do, and the more you have to deal with shit like this the less of a 'big deal' it becomes. Have confidence in yourself. In a few years time, if you really work at it, you can become a real asshole when you need to be. There are times when you need to be. I'm not talking about showing your ass and making a scene, but standing up for yourself when the situation requires it. Good luck!