I really miss my dog

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2014, 09:31 AM
I really miss my dog
In the late 90s my wife and I were trying to start a family, and were having some problems. We had two miscarriages, and after the 2nd my wife went into a deep depression. Not knowing how else to help her, I acquiesced to her insistence that we get a dog. We rescued this scraggly mutt in September of 99. I'm not exaggerating when I say that dog saved my marriage. She helped my wife heal in ways I don't think I could have.

We finally managed to have a son in 01 and then a second one in 03. And, from the moment those babies came home that dog took on the role of surrogate mother. She watched over them and sought to protect them and I'm convinced she would have killed anything or anyone who threatened them. I won't bore you all with stories, but she was definitely a protector.

She got sick in April and we found a growth in her bladder. We would never let her suffer so we put her down in late April, just shy of her 15th birthday. It's a good llifespan for a dog, and she always knew she was loved. We had a second dog, who is almost 3, and he was kind of moping when she died. We recently rescued another dog and we have been fostering puppies for a local rescue as well. So,there had been no dog shortage in my life.

But, I'm working from home today and I just realize she had not come up to say "hello" like she used to. She was a great friend, and every now and then I just really miss her. I think non dog people won't get this and dog people will be very familiar with it.

Ok, time to get back to work. Just needed to get this out.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 16 users Like BnW's post
14-07-2014, 09:51 AM
RE: I really miss my dog
(14-07-2014 09:31 AM)BnW Wrote:  In the late 90s my wife and I were trying to start a family, and were having some problems. We had two miscarriages, and after the 2nd my wife went into a deep depression. Not knowing how else to help her, I acquiesced to her insistence that we get a dog. We rescued this scraggly mutt in September of 99. I'm not exaggerating when I say that dog saved my marriage. She helped my wife heal in ways I don't think I could have.

We finally managed to have a son in 01 and then a second one in 03. And, from the moment those babies came home that dog took on the role of surrogate mother. She watched over them and sought to protect them and I'm convinced she would have killed anything or anyone who threatened them. I won't bore you all with stories, but she was definitely a protector.

She got sick in April and we found a growth in her bladder. We would never let her suffer so we put her down in late April, just shy of her 15th birthday. It's a good llifespan for a dog, and she always knew she was loved. We had a second dog, who is almost 3, and he was kind of moping when she died. We recently rescued another dog and we have been fostering puppies for a local rescue as well. So,there had been no dog shortage in my life.

But, I'm working from home today and I just realize she had not come up to say "hello" like she used to. She was a great friend, and every now and then I just really miss her. I think non dog people won't get this and dog people will be very familiar with it.

I understand all too well. All I have is a platitude: "It gets better with time".

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-07-2014, 10:24 AM
I miss my dog more than any person I've ever lost. At times when I'm emotionally drained or feeling down, I sometimes still get teary eyed just thinking about her. She died 04/21/2010...

I just remember being so calm, happy and proud while I was holding her as we put her down, just so she wouldn't be scared. Smiling and telling her how good she was, how much I loved her. I didn't cry until she was gone.

I've had cats my whole life too... But lol, cats suck. Forget they were even there a couple days later.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
14-07-2014, 11:04 AM
You're better man than I am off you were able to hold it together. I was a freaking mess. Worst thing I've ever been through.

My one big mistake was going to the vet. She was always anxious at the vet. I should have had someone come to the house. I didn't think of it until after. It would have been better if she was able to spend her final minutes at home.

Ok, I need to stop this. I have actual work to do and this is making it really hard.

14-07-2014, 11:39 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
14-07-2014, 11:42 AM
(14-07-2014 09:31 AM)BnW Wrote:  In the late 90s my wife and I were trying to start a family, and were having some problems. We had two miscarriages, and after the 2nd my wife went into a deep depression. Not knowing how else to help her, I acquiesced to her insistence that we get a dog. We rescued this scraggly mutt in September of 99. I'm not exaggerating when I say that dog saved my marriage. She helped my wife heal in ways I don't think I could have.

Now I'm weeping for my dog, Poppy. I had to euthanize her a few years ago.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-07-2014, 11:45 AM
It's just one of the things you need to get used to with dogs. 15 is a good age for a dog. My parents always had Great Danes and they wouldn't live past 8. It really helps to have had rescue dogs, especially ones which you saved from being put down several years earlier.

You never forget your previous dogs. You just need to remember that there are more dogs out there that would really benefit from being part of your loving family. I really wish we could have dogs but we've never had stability in our lives.
14-07-2014, 12:03 PM
This thread is really hitting home with me - I have to take my husband's dog down to be put to sleep tomorrow. It's additionally upsetting because he was kind of a part of my husband in my eyes, and now that will be gone too.

Hank (the dog) was a rescue when he was already 10 years old - he was on death row. Never in a million years did I think he would outlive my husband. This one is going to be very hard to let go. I especially dread the drive home from the vet's... I tend to hold up quite well while there is pressure but flop afterwards. I will be holding Hank while he passes...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
14-07-2014, 12:06 PM
(14-07-2014 12:03 PM)Dom Wrote:  This thread is really hitting home with me - I have to take my husband's dog down to be put to sleep tomorrow. It's additionally upsetting because he was kind of a part of my husband in my eyes, and now that will be gone too.

Hank (the dog) was a rescue when he was already 10 years old - he was on death row. Never in a million years did I think he would outlive my husband. This one is going to be very hard to let go. I especially dread the drive home from the vet's... I tend to hold up quite well while there is pressure but flop afterwards. I will be holding Hank while he passes...

Oh, dear. Hug

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-07-2014, 12:21 PM
(14-07-2014 12:03 PM)Dom Wrote:  This thread is really hitting home with me - I have to take my husband's dog down to be put to sleep tomorrow. It's additionally upsetting because he was kind of a part of my husband in my eyes, and now that will be gone too.

I am very sorry to read this. I don't even know what to say except "sorry" . Sad

[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post