I really miss my dog

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2014, 12:26 PM
RE: I really miss my dog
(14-07-2014 11:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-07-2014 09:31 AM)BnW Wrote:  In the late 90s my wife and I were trying to start a family, and were having some problems. We had two miscarriages, and after the 2nd my wife went into a deep depression. Not knowing how else to help her, I acquiesced to her insistence that we get a dog. We rescued this scraggly mutt in September of 99. I'm not exaggerating when I say that dog saved my marriage. She helped my wife heal in ways I don't think I could have.

We finally managed to have a son in 01 and then a second one in 03. And, from the moment those babies came home that dog took on the role of surrogate mother. She watched over them and sought to protect them and I'm convinced she would have killed anything or anyone who threatened them. I won't bore you all with stories, but she was definitely a protector.

She got sick in April and we found a growth in her bladder. We would never let her suffer so we put her down in late April, just shy of her 15th birthday. It's a good llifespan for a dog, and she always knew she was loved. We had a second dog, who is almost 3, and he was kind of moping when she died. We recently rescued another dog and we have been fostering puppies for a local rescue as well. So,there had been no dog shortage in my life.

But, I'm working from home today and I just realize she had not come up to say "hello" like she used to. She was a great friend, and every now and then I just really miss her. I think non dog people won't get this and dog people will be very familiar with it.

Ok, time to get back to work. Just needed to get this out.

Now I'm weeping for my dog, Poppy. I had to euthanize her a few years ago.

Dogs just take up residence in our hearts huh?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
14-07-2014, 12:32 PM
(14-07-2014 12:21 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(14-07-2014 12:03 PM)Dom Wrote:  This thread is really hitting home with me - I have to take my husband's dog down to be put to sleep tomorrow. It's additionally upsetting because he was kind of a part of my husband in my eyes, and now that will be gone too.

Hank (the dog) was a rescue when he was already 10 years old - he was on death row. Never in a million years did I think he would outlive my husband. This one is going to be very hard to let go. I especially dread the drive home from the vet's... I tend to hold up quite well while there is pressure but flop afterwards. I will be holding Hank while he passes...

I am very sorry to read this. I don't even know what to say except "sorry" . Sad

That's the trouble with all of this - there is nothing anyone can say, we just have to deal with it. HugHug

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-07-2014, 12:33 PM
I sympathize, Dom. It's hard but you have to be strong for them.

This is Tango.

[Image: 20140620_083530_zps150704ec.jpg]

We got him two weeks after our female died from liver failure...probably cancer. He was cleared by the Rescue for adoption and we grabbed him. He's blind in one eye and doesn't see so well out of the other but he knows his way around the house now and if a room is too dark he stands there and barks until we turn the light on for him. We are trained.

He's pushing 11 and has this thing about not getting his ass on his mat but only in the bedroom. When his mat is in my office he has no problem as it is right now. My other Golden was moping around after Lady died and he took to Tango instantly. They love being part of a pack. When he goes we'll adopt another senior who needs a home. They're so mellow.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
14-07-2014, 04:40 PM
Sadcryface

Have loved and lost several dogs. It's always awful even when the right thing to do.

Chopper came into my life ten days before my mastectomies. He continues to help me get through hard times. He's my bud. I love all the other critters here but he is my special little dude. I can't even think about the day I have to say goodbye to him. When I was alone-and I mean really alone during my recovery - he never let me down.

Sorry to those of you missing your furry friends and to those who are facing it now.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
14-07-2014, 05:36 PM
(14-07-2014 09:31 AM)BnW Wrote:  But, I'm working from home today and I just realize she had not come up to say "hello" like she used to. She was a great friend, and every now and then I just really miss her. I think non dog people won't get this and dog people will be very familiar with it.

At the time of her death, you were probably trying to take care of everything and let the little stresses or needs slide to the side. You probably didn't realize that she was the one who helped you take care of those little stresses and needs. The little part that you'd previously set to the side has just realized: you are on your own. That's a sure sign you're dealing with the loss of a well loved and trusted, caring friend. Heart

(14-07-2014 12:03 PM)Dom Wrote:  I will be holding Hank while he passes...
Heart

Hug

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
14-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Well, fortunately I'm not on my own. I have my wife, my kids, and, of course, my dogs.

You're spot on about the trusted, caring friend though. I have another 2 dogs but it will never be the same. It's not that my current dogs aren't great, but the circumstances are different. Blue was the back drop to us starting our lives together. She was there when my sons came home and was always part off my family. She was not only a great dog and a great companion, but she represented something, a time, that has past. Losing her was devastating not only because I loved that dog (and I truly did) but I also lost a touchstone to a a moment in time, and a special time at that.

That's a lot of weight to put on the shoulders of one dog, but she always carried it with grace and dignity. And, at the end, when she could no longer carry it on her own, I literally picked her up and carried her. She couldn't walk steps the last few months of her life so I carried her up and down them, or into the car if she wanted to go to the park with us, or the last part of a walk if she needed me to (fyi, she was almost 70 lbs).

That's what we do for those we love, I guess.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
14-07-2014, 07:22 PM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2014 07:38 PM by Dom.)
(14-07-2014 06:48 PM)BnW Wrote:  Well, fortunately I'm not on my own. I have my wife, my kids, and, of course, my dogs.

You're spot on about the trusted, caring friend though. I have another 2 dogs but it will never be the same. It's not that my current dogs aren't great, but the circumstances are different. Blue was the back drop to us starting our lives together. She was there when my sons came home and was always part off my family. She was not only a great dog and a great companion, but she represented something, a time, that has past. Losing her was devastating not only because I loved that dog (and I truly did) but I also lost a touchstone to a a moment in time, and a special time at that.

That's a lot of weight to put on the shoulders of one dog, but she always carried it with grace and dignity. And, at the end, when she could no longer carry it on her own, I literally picked her up and carried her. She couldn't walk steps the last few months of her life so I carried her up and down them, or into the car if she wanted to go to the park with us, or the last part of a walk if she needed me to (fyi, she was almost 70 lbs).

That's what we do for those we love, I guess.

I know exactly what you mean. Hank is directly connected to my husband, those two were joined at the hip. But, I just can't watch Hank suffer just because I don't want to let go. He has two tumors, one growing incredibly fast, is half deaf and now just went blind. He has trouble walking, walks all stiffly. His quality of life is plummeting. I, too, still have two more dogs, which is going to be a big help.

And, yes, we do what we have to. Hank is easy to carry, but he can't stand at all not knowing where I am so every time I get up I have to take him along. It also gets iffy in the garden - he does know his way around fairly well, I assume he goes by the flower scents, but he ends up standing in a corner, lost, anyway. It is better to let him go before his life falls apart completely - he still loves to eat and he shall have a feast tonight.

[Image: summer10031_zps6a7468b9.jpg]

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-07-2014, 08:11 PM
For what it's worth, you're doing the right thing. Doesn't make it any easier, though.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
14-07-2014, 08:33 PM
(14-07-2014 08:11 PM)BnW Wrote:  For what it's worth, you're doing the right thing. Doesn't make it any easier, though.

I know - this is not my first round with blind and/or deaf dogs. It ends very badly. It's different if they are born that way, but late in life it's a very bad thing.

Besides, it's my husband's dog, and he would agree. It's the kind thing to do, and some day I will do this for myself, too. So I don't feel bad about my decision, I just have trouble letting go. You're right, one doesn't make the other any easier.

14-07-2014, 08:38 PM
(14-07-2014 08:33 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(14-07-2014 08:11 PM)BnW Wrote:  For what it's worth, you're doing the right thing. Doesn't make it any easier, though.

I know - this is not my first round with blind and/or deaf dogs. It ends very badly. It's different if they are born that way, but late in life it's a very bad thing.

Besides, it's my husband's dog, and he would agree. It's the kind thing to do, and some day I will do this for myself, too. So I don't feel bad about my decision, I just have trouble letting go. You're right, one doesn't make the other any easier.

Hug

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat