I saved a spider today.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2015, 09:59 PM
RE: I saved a spider today.
Hubby always puts them outside when we find them. Even if there is a blizzard out there.

Invisible, undetectable results don’t count
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes quoin's post
21-11-2015, 11:20 PM
There are the small jumping spiders here, and they are fun to interact with. I was watching one haul a fly up the side of a chair and he dropped it a long ways. He is just looking around but it is out of sight. I got a pin and stuck the fly, and carefully offered it up. The spider looked at me (jumping spiders have the best visual acuity) and took the fly and went on his way.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
21-11-2015, 11:31 PM
Spiders that make there way into the house are killed. I must do the killing as husband screams like a little girl at the sight of them. And those little bastards always seem to bite me if I don't squish them first. They must be killed. Putting them outside gives them the chance to get bigger and come back in.

Those damn things that live on the bottom of the pool also must be scooped out and dealt with. I also get the pleasure of sticking my hand down into the pool skimmers to get the baskets out to empty them - spiders seem to love to hang out in there.

So, death to spiders. All of them.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
22-11-2015, 02:43 AM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2015 02:48 AM by Hafnof.)
So I wasn't quite sure how to approach it. Normally I'd slide a cutting board underneath to complete the capture. But there wasn't room. If I lifted it enough to do that the spider would have escaped. I tried shifting it around a bit to get into a good position.

That's when the spider showed that if it really tried it was strong enough to shift the container and wiggle its way out.

[Image: FB_IMG_1444914850326.jpg]

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
22-11-2015, 03:53 AM
That spider could had been one of the terrorist spiders that could be planning an attack. You should had just bombed the crap out of it just in case.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
22-11-2015, 06:46 AM
(21-11-2015 09:59 PM)quoin Wrote:  Hubby always puts them outside when we find them. Even if there is a blizzard out there.

Coming on the heels of a few posts about testicular fortitude I had to do a double-take on that...

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
22-11-2015, 08:10 AM
(22-11-2015 06:46 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(21-11-2015 09:59 PM)quoin Wrote:  Hubby always puts them outside when we find them. Even if there is a blizzard out there.

Coming on the heels of a few posts about testicular fortitude I had to do a double-take on that...

Can't allow too much testicular fortitude in the house either. Disturbs the feng shui.

Invisible, undetectable results don’t count
22-11-2015, 08:13 AM
(21-11-2015 11:31 PM)Anjele Wrote:  So, death to spiders. All of them.

and then flies can finally rule the world.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
23-11-2015, 05:01 AM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2015 07:47 AM by Hafnof.)
So the thing people don't know about large spiders is you can't spray them. A spider like that would take more than 24 hours to die, so you're left with two options: A boot to the exoskeleton or to reattempt the capture.

Now I didn't want a pissed off arachnid the size of my wife's hand lose in my bedroom that night. Or more precisely the wife didn't.

I redied another container.

[Image: FB_IMG_1444915369551.jpg]

My wife insists that I point out now that I was the one who opened the window earlier that day. Normally I would use the exhaust fan but it was only a quick shower and I thought I'd save some power and wear.

Brisbane is humid so you absolutely cannot leave things wet. They will be mouldy within 24 hours. Fresh bread will be mouldy in a few days without preservatives. It never gets a chance to go stale.

It was a cold day. No more than 15 Celsius. The spider has obviously been feeling the night chill so when a window vented warm humid air to the outside it was only natural for dear huntsman to find its way from outside to inside.

When my wife had stepped out of the shower she wasn't seeing the spider's point of view on the matter.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
23-11-2015, 08:29 AM
I've sprayed tarantulas into hell a few times here in the Dominican Republic. Spray from the front and when they turnaround get in front and spray them again. Takes a few minutes, but since I am bigger and faster I keep at it until they are dead.