I saved a spider today.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2015, 09:27 AM
RE: I saved a spider today.
I haven't ever tried to kill a spider that big, but I use spray lacquer which kills in seconds on the ones I do spray. Hair spray will also do the trick, since it has lacquer in it.

My dad sprayed a black widow with Black Flag (it contained nicotine in those days). The thing wiped itself off and walked away. Lacquer, or any aerosol paint, I imagine, is similar to huffing for us. But I keep spraying until the thing is dead, coated in whatever I am spraying with. When I worked on hot rods, I had a lot of moly orange (Chevy engine color) spray paint, so there were orange blotches on the walls and dead "orange" widows.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2015, 09:34 AM
(23-11-2015 09:27 AM)Fireball Wrote:  I haven't ever tried to kill a spider that big, but I use spray lacquer which kills in seconds on the ones I do spray. Hair spray will also do the trick, since it has lacquer in it.

My dad sprayed a black widow with Black Flag (it contained nicotine in those days). The thing wiped itself off and walked away. Lacquer, or any aerosol paint, I imagine, is similar to huffing for us. But I keep spraying until the thing is dead, coated in whatever I am spraying with. When I worked on hot rods, I had a lot of moly orange (Chevy engine color) spray paint, so there were orange blotches on the walls and dead "orange" widows.

Ever tried a hairspray flame thrower? Hold a cigarette lighter in front of the flame of a hairspray can and watch the flames eat up anything alive or even flammable.
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
23-11-2015, 09:37 AM
(23-11-2015 05:01 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  So the thing people don't know about large spiders is you can't spray them. A spider like that would take more than 24 hours to die, so you're left with two options: A boot to the exoskeleton or to reattempt the capture.

A few weeks ago, I had a hell of a time with two spiders that were on/in the wall in front of my brother's room (his room has a seldom-used door to the back'yard').

These things were probably overall bigger overall than yours, Hafnof. Not as long in the legs, but big everywhere else. Coal black, the two of them. I think they came from a funnel-web construction that was formed up high between a metal guard/pipe and cables.

Anyway, those bastards just would not die, and I gassed the hell out of them. Talking multiple, sustained and direct mortein blasts. It took about 7 minutes for one of them to even slow down, and even then it didn't seem to care; took intersession by the broom to finally get it. Never did confirm the other kill; it went in a crack in the wall. I assume it died of it's own gassing.

I just wanted to share my Adelaide spider adventure.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
23-11-2015, 10:29 AM
Nice. We used to get "funny" web spiders in Nowra, the town where I grew up. These were ground dwellers, not tree funnel webs. My Dad had an annual ritual of scoping out holes that cropped up in our yard and taking the petrol can to them.

They generally wouldn't come out in daylight but there is no telling what their movements would be at night and they were plenty aggressive and deadly to want to take care of them with small kids around.

The trick is to make sure you have found all of the holes and attack them at the same time. Miss one and the spider will be loose in the yard. The petrol world typically be enough to do them in but for good measure he set the holes in fire. This was a good thing as on at least one occasion a funnel web came tearing up the opening we had just set alight and was burned to death rather than escaping.

Yep, the spiders we have gotten inside here have been nothing too bad. As I say probably closer to the size of my wife's dainty paws than my own. The largest I have seen was twice that size, easily bigger than my hand. Luckily not at my own place but at a friend's when I was a teenager.

I would feel bad about killing a huntsman. They really seem to be gentle souls who mean no harm. They're just quick blighters and terrifying for that reason and will bite back when provoked. When I was growing up a had a live and let live policy. II wouldn't be too worried when I found one in my bedroom. My wife however woke to find a huntsman IN her bed on more than one occasion and isn't prepared to take the chance.

On another occasion a decent sized specimen wandered in through the window of my daughter's bedroom and was inches away from her bed. I could see it just wanted a quiet place to hang out but confrontation was inevitable. Here's a picture of that one:
[Image: 11800422_10206340336003152_6288182476486954598_n.jpg]

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
23-11-2015, 10:35 AM
(23-11-2015 10:29 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Nice. We used to get "funny" web spiders in Nowra, the town where I grew up. These were ground dwellers, not tree funnel webs. My Dad had an annual ritual of scoping out holes that cropped up in our yard and taking the petrol can to them.

They generally wouldn't come out in daylight but there is no telling what their movements would be at night and they were plenty aggressive and deadly to want to take care of them with small kids around.

The trick is to make sure you have found all of the holes and attack them at the same time. Miss one and the spider will be loose in the yard. The petrol world typically be enough to do them in but for good measure he set the holes in fire. This was a good thing as on at least one occasion a funnel web came tearing up the opening we had just set alight and was burned to death rather than escaping.

Yep, the spiders we have gotten inside here have been nothing too bad. As I say probably closer to the size of my wife's dainty paws than my own. The largest I have seen was twice that size, easily bigger than my hand. Luckily not at my own place but at a friend's when I was a teenager.

I would feel bad about killing a huntsman. They really seem to be gentle souls who mean no harm. They're just quick blighters and terrifying for that reason and will bite back when provoked. When I was growing up a had a live and let live policy. II wouldn't be too worried when I found one in my bedroom. My wife however woke to find a huntsman IN her bed on more than one occasion and isn't prepared to take the chance.

On another occasion a decent sized specimen wandered in through the window of my daughter's bedroom and was inches away from her bed. I could see it just wanted a quiet place to hang out but confrontation was inevitable. Here's a picture of that one:

That looks a lot like what we called wolf spiders in Tennessee and are called aranhas del bano here (Dominican Republic) or bathroom spiders.
23-11-2015, 11:27 AM
(23-11-2015 10:29 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Nice. We used to get "funny" web spiders in Nowra, the town where I grew up. These were ground dwellers, not tree funnel webs. My Dad had an annual ritual of scoping out holes that cropped up in our yard and taking the petrol can to them.

so cuteHeart. spiders are the best animals

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
23-11-2015, 12:14 PM
(23-11-2015 09:34 AM)DerFish Wrote:  
(23-11-2015 09:27 AM)Fireball Wrote:  I haven't ever tried to kill a spider that big, but I use spray lacquer which kills in seconds on the ones I do spray. Hair spray will also do the trick, since it has lacquer in it.

Ever tried a hairspray flame thrower? Hold a cigarette lighter in front of the flame of a hairspray can and watch the flames eat up anything alive or even flammable.

That's one of the reasons my handle is Fireball. I loves me some fire, and have sprayed flames from paint cans, too.That definitely kills a bug quick, but if you get too aggressive, they can burst. I know a guy who lost an eye from "shrapnel" when he killed a black widow with an acetylene torch flame.
23-11-2015, 12:16 PM

Oh, HELL no, not in a room with MY spawn, either.
23-11-2015, 12:57 PM
Spiders don't bother me but I don't want my wife and grandson and grandson's friends to get bitten by black widows. I've been bitten twice by them [actually 3 times but once I didn't get envenomated] and I don't recommend it unless you like to puke your guts out. It also hurts like hell at the bite site. We have the Orkin man come out every month, even during the winter, to kill all the bugs in and around our house. We also have tarantulas but they are the most docile critters on earth and you couldn't beg one to bite you.

I got malaria when I was roaming around Africa 25 years ago and I didn't like that very much. Fortunately, I live in the Colorado high country and we don't have many mosquitos. In fact, I haven't see a mosquito here in probably 10 years.
24-11-2015, 06:09 AM
Here is the result of my second capture attempt. Like I said. They're quick blighters.

[Image: FB_IMG_1444915443182.jpg]

Here's some more info on the most common species around here: http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/Find+out+about/...lRSkKU_7qA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heteropoda_cervina

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.