I saved a spider today.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2015, 06:18 AM
RE: I saved a spider today.
(23-11-2015 09:27 AM)Fireball Wrote:  I haven't ever tried to kill a spider that big, but I use spray lacquer which kills in seconds on the ones I do spray. Hair spray will also do the trick, since it has lacquer in it.

My dad sprayed a black widow with Black Flag (it contained nicotine in those days). The thing wiped itself off and walked away. Lacquer, or any aerosol paint, I imagine, is similar to huffing for us. But I keep spraying until the thing is dead, coated in whatever I am spraying with. When I worked on hot rods, I had a lot of moly orange (Chevy engine color) spray paint, so there were orange blotches on the walls and dead "orange" widows.

Some years back I was going to clean up a dog crate to bring into the house and there was a black widow in it. I grabbed a can of Black Flag (or something similar) and sprayed it. It just walked right on through the poison. Eventually I had sprayed so much there was a puddle in the corner of the crate. Spider fell into the puddle, was completely submerged, and then it crawled back up the side of the crate. At that point I found a half a brick and squashed it. The brick was much more effective. The poison did nothing but piss the spider off. Evil things.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
24-11-2015, 03:15 PM
(24-11-2015 06:09 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Here is the result of my second capture attempt. Like I said. They're quick blighters.

[Image: FB_IMG_1444915443182.jpg]

Here's some more info on the most common species around here: http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/Find+out+about/...lRSkKU_7qA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heteropoda_cervina

Candy-ass spider, it gets eaten by daddy-long-legs!
24-11-2015, 03:39 PM
[Image: When+I+Kill+A+Spider+In+my+Bathroom+true...ot.com.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
24-11-2015, 05:40 PM
(24-11-2015 03:39 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  [Image: When+I+Kill+A+Spider+In+my+Bathroom+true...ot.com.jpg]

That was my father's theory about ants. Smear them across as large area as possible and the rest avoid that area, he always said.
24-11-2015, 05:48 PM
(24-11-2015 03:39 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  [Image: When+I+Kill+A+Spider+In+my+Bathroom+true...ot.com.jpg]

Or it'll just motivate the rest of them to gang up on you, like wasps do.
25-11-2015, 07:27 AM
(24-11-2015 03:15 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(24-11-2015 06:09 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/Find+out+about/...lRSkKU_7qA
Candy-ass spider, it gets eaten by daddy-long-legs!

Yeah, I haven't quite figured out how that would work.

Anyway the anticlimax to the story is that I was pretty sure dear spider had suffered enough abuse that it would high tail it out of there if I let it. I chased it up to a nook near the window it came in through and secured the room against escape into the rest of the house.

[Image: FB_IMG_1444915721294.jpg]

[Image: FB_IMG_1444916532298.jpg]

Truth is their side wanted peace just as badly as our side did. We kept an eye out for the next few days and didn't see it again in the house. Perhaps that spider will remember being captured and tortured or perhaps it will remember being allowed to leave. Who knows? No doubt the war will go on.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
25-11-2015, 08:23 AM
(25-11-2015 07:27 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(24-11-2015 03:15 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Candy-ass spider, it gets eaten by daddy-long-legs!

Anyway the anticlimax to the story is that I was pretty sure dear spider had suffered enough abuse that it would high tail it out of there if I let it. I chased it up to a nook near the window it came in through and secured the room against escape into the rest of the house.

Truth is their side wanted peace just as badly as our side did. We kept an eye out for the next few days and didn't see it again in the house. Perhaps that spider will remember being captured and tortured or perhaps it will remember being allowed to leave. Who knows? No doubt the war will go on.

I doubt if spiders have that much reasoning power. DO they even realize that there is a thinking being on the other side of what hit them whether t is spray or a fly swatter?
25-11-2015, 10:26 AM
(25-11-2015 07:27 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(24-11-2015 03:15 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Candy-ass spider, it gets eaten by daddy-long-legs!

I'm having trouble with that, too. Spindly spider, cheesy skinny web, eats huge spider. Go figure.

I spotted a possum at work one day, and followed it into a conference room, then closed the door. Security called animal control, we go in, there is no possum. Turns out that there was a cable tray just a little bigger than it needed to be for the one TV cable, and the bugger went up it. Never saw it again. Crazy stuff. I hope your new friend doesn't pull something like that on you.
25-11-2015, 10:49 AM
(10-04-2014 01:23 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  So I saved a spider from my rampaging cats of doom. (Insert painful insults and why I should of killed the spider comments here _______________________)

Your empathy is well intended, but understand it is highly unlikely that that particular species is in danger of extinction, nor should anyone who does kill insects be considered inhuman. I squash bugs all the time.

I find getting bent over saving animals absurd. No, not in that we cant treat them better, but most of the time people get stuck on cute, even with animals who are not endangered of extinction.

Deer are "cute" and people eat them. Hindus find cows sacred, but others eat them. Even dogs, some parts of the world people DO eat them. In the west we don't because we view them as pets.

As far as animals, everything is case by case. If it is endangered, protect it. If it is not, kill it to eat it. But trophy hunting is simply getting joy out of killing and that to me is sick.

I have for example, stopped on the side of a road to move a turtle out of traffic. But I am not about to go to war with someone who eats turtle. It would depend if that species of turtle were in danger of extinction. But if a turtle is someone's pet in someone's house, the cruelty isn't about the turtle, but emotionally scaring the person, usually a kid, who sees it as a pet.

I don't eat lobster because I don't like that they are handcuffed and piled up in a tank. But again, I am not going to throw Molotov cocktails into a grocery store because someone sells them.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user