I saw something and now I think maybe? UPDATED, post #46

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2017, 07:49 PM
RE: I saw something and now I think maybe? UPDATED, post #46
(12-10-2017 03:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 06:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  As far as I know, I’m on the other side of the country.

I still have no clue what the fuck that sound was, our area isn’t big on bears. Aside from coyotes that eat the small animals and neighborhood cats) the biggest things are deer...

But it could have been a dog (person up the road has two huge bull mastiffs). They are big enough to thud if they ran, right?

I've heard white tail bucks 'thud'. They either stamp a front hoof as a signal (to the threat?) or they will walk stiff-legged when going all macho and their front hooves striking are pretty loud. Edit: Come to think of it, does will also do the stamp-a-hoof routine when they have fawns.

I've got plenty of deer and have experienced this. Yes

I heard that. See them every other day.

They graze on my front lawn all year 'round.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2017, 09:13 PM
(12-10-2017 07:49 PM)Free Wrote:  
(12-10-2017 03:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  I've heard white tail bucks 'thud'. They either stamp a front hoof as a signal (to the threat?) or they will walk stiff-legged when going all macho and their front hooves striking are pretty loud. Edit: Come to think of it, does will also do the stamp-a-hoof routine when they have fawns.

I've got plenty of deer and have experienced this. Yes

I heard that. See them every other day.

They graze on my front lawn all year 'round.

Stamping and slashing with the forelegs is done bye both white-tail bucks and does as a warning and defense agains predators, including humans. For instance in areas like Waterton Lakes National Park in Alberta in May/June the does come into the built-up area to calve and if you walk your dog there you are warned by the residents not to approach them and not to let your dog do it. This is because the does will not run and leave their young , but will defend them, and dogs have been killed by these defensive tactics of the. white-tail does.
The does come into the built-up areas to avoid predation of their calves by wolves, cougars, and grizzlies in the area.
16-10-2017, 12:10 PM
(12-10-2017 09:13 PM)4321lynx Wrote:  Stamping and slashing with the forelegs is done bye both white-tail bucks and does as a warning and defense agains predators, including humans. For instance in areas like Waterton Lakes National Park in Alberta in May/June the does come into the built-up area to calve and if you walk your dog there you are warned by the residents not to approach them and not to let your dog do it. This is because the does will not run and leave their young , but will defend them, and dogs have been killed by these defensive tactics of the. white-tail does.
The does come into the built-up areas to avoid predation of their calves by wolves, cougars, and grizzlies in the area.

Deer are horrid beasties. I was on my way to a church function as a kid with my mom and we saw a buck a ways off in a field, and by the time we got to the field the screaming idjit had decided it was done with life, and would like nothing more than to throw itself in front of our car. So it did. It died.

Later, that SAME FRIGGIN NIGHT on the way home, a deer bounced between us and a semi truck. Scared us all to death because we were pretty sure the semi truck hit us. All we saw in the back seat was the bright flare of the semi trucks headlights and then there was a large THUD THUD as the deer careened off our bumper and straight into the semi's grill.

So now whenever I drive in deer infested areas or see a deer crossing sign or see a herd of deer off in a field doing their evil deer deeds I get super paranoid cause hitting a deer with your car sucks.

If you weep at the loss of the sun, then your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.