I seem to have the opposite problem than most of you...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2016, 06:46 PM
RE: I seem to have the opposite problem than most of you...
(16-02-2016 06:32 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(16-02-2016 06:31 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Okay, I'm done.

Unless Sye Ten has a shock collar on you I don't see why you are determined to be HIS slave.

Buh bye...again.

I'm not determined to be his slave, I just can't escape his arguments. Sadcryface2

Sye has no argument at all. He just asserts and asserts without actually demonstrating that there is any basis to what he says.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
16-02-2016, 06:47 PM
(16-02-2016 06:45 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(16-02-2016 06:42 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  According to science, I must. Doesn't science say that not listening to counterarguments is dishonest?

Once you listen to them the first time and find out they are crap, you usually dismiss them and move on.

And what if I can't seem to find out that they're crap? Sad

Truth seeker.
16-02-2016, 06:48 PM
(16-02-2016 06:42 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(16-02-2016 06:38 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Fixed

Have you tried not listening to his arguments?

According to science, I must. Doesn't science say that not listening to counterarguments is dishonest?

Sye is one of the most dishonest arguments you can hear.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
16-02-2016, 06:48 PM
(16-02-2016 06:46 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(16-02-2016 06:32 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  I'm not determined to be his slave, I just can't escape his arguments. Sadcryface2

Sye has no argument at all. He just asserts and asserts without actually demonstrating that there is any basis to what he says.

No, he argues that everyone who isn't Christian does that. He's not trying to prove Christianity, he's trying to disprove non-Christianity.

Truth seeker.
16-02-2016, 06:51 PM
(16-02-2016 06:10 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(16-02-2016 06:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Ummm...how about you stop listening to apologists and think for yourself...might help you a lot.

But I thought I was supposed to listen to counterarguments. Isn't that what science says? (sorry if I sound rude Sadcryface )

Science only says you need to listen and consider arguments that have some evidence backing them up. As Hitchens said, "that which can be presented without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
16-02-2016, 06:53 PM
(16-02-2016 06:51 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(16-02-2016 06:10 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  But I thought I was supposed to listen to counterarguments. Isn't that what science says? (sorry if I sound rude Sadcryface )

Science only says you need to listen and consider arguments that have some evidence backing them up. As Hitchens said, "that which can be presented without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

Why should I believe Hitchens? According to presuppositionalism, Hitchens couldn't know anything to be true.

Truth seeker.
16-02-2016, 06:53 PM
(16-02-2016 06:48 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(16-02-2016 06:46 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Sye has no argument at all. He just asserts and asserts without actually demonstrating that there is any basis to what he says.

No, he argues that everyone who isn't Christian does that. He's not trying to prove Christianity, he's trying to disprove non-Christianity.

That isn't an argument at all. It's an assertion. A way to see whether his logic holds any water is to see whether any other faith can make the same claim. If it offers no way to differentiate itself from another, the method is crap and the conclusion that follows may be false.

- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
16-02-2016, 06:56 PM
When they try baffling me bullshit, I ask "Does the set of all sets which do not contain themselves contain itself? Is a universal set possible?" Usually buys me enough time to break away from the lunacy.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-02-2016, 07:04 PM
I think I see a way out. When he inevitably asks "What is your ultimate authority?" You answer "reality". The "brain in a vat" is a red herring; If it is shown with reality that I am a brain in a vat, then I can perhaps learn the rules of this new "reality".

Truth seeker.
16-02-2016, 07:08 PM
(16-02-2016 06:10 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(16-02-2016 06:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Ummm...how about you stop listening to apologists and think for yourself...might help you a lot.

But I thought I was supposed to listen to counterarguments. Isn't that what science says? (sorry if I sound rude Sadcryface )

All of the apologists' arguments are logically unsound. Do some research.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post