I simply need to vent!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2016, 08:14 PM
I simply need to vent!
Has anybody else made a comment in a humor's way only to have it kick you in the down stairs area?!

I am a veteran. I, until recently, followed the Popular Military page on facebook. They had a recent article about how a new female recruit joined a combat MOS and she did it because God was guiding her to do so. Through humor I made the comparison that ISIS was doing what they are doing because God is telling them to do so. I had the entire state of Alabama pissed off!!! I try not to get into pissing match's on social media, I just don't see the need for extra stress in my life. I did however find it necessary to address the crowd so I posted my rebuttal to the hatred of all these good Christians and the result was much of the same.

What made this situation difficult is I am a veteran. 90% of the people attacking me were veterans. I did not experience the romantic vision of brothers in arms like you see in the movies during my military career. My experience while in the military was one of isolation because I did not share the world views of most military members. I saw combat and have a chest full of medals to prove it. The point here is these men and women who claim to be God loving, gun toting, hard on military supporting people attempted to take me to task for using humor to point out that extreme Christianity is no better than extreme Islam. When it became obvious that I was an Atheist I might as well been Lucifer himself. I ended up deleting the comment and unliking the page.

I suppose I am at fault for making such a comment on a page that is heavily dominated by Fox News watching right wingers but still, the hatred towards a fellow veteran was eye opening to say the least. Anyone else have similar experiences?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Anon's post
06-02-2016, 08:25 PM
RE: I simply need to vent!
(06-02-2016 08:14 PM)Anon Wrote:  Has anybody else made a comment in a humor's way only to have it kick you in the down stairs area?!

I am a veteran. I, until recently, followed the Popular Military page on facebook. They had a recent article about how a new female recruit joined a combat MOS and she did it because God was guiding her to do so. Through humor I made the comparison that ISIS was doing what they are doing because God is telling them to do so. I had the entire state of Alabama pissed off!!! I try not to get into pissing match's on social media, I just don't see the need for extra stress in my life. I did however find it necessary to address the crowd so I posted my rebuttal to the hatred of all these good Christians and the result was much of the same.

What made this situation difficult is I am a veteran. 90% of the people attacking me were veterans. I did not experience the romantic vision of brothers in arms like you see in the movies during my military career. My experience while in the military was one of isolation because I did not share the world views of most military members. I saw combat and have a chest full of medals to prove it. The point here is these men and women who claim to be God loving, gun toting, hard on military supporting people attempted to take me to task for using humor to point out that extreme Christianity is no better than extreme Islam. When it became obvious that I was an Atheist I might as well been Lucifer himself. I ended up deleting the comment and unliking the page.

I suppose I am at fault for making such a comment on a page that is heavily dominated by Fox News watching right wingers but still, the hatred towards a fellow veteran was eye opening to say the least. Anyone else have similar experiences?

That is because like Cruz, they are Xtians first and Americans second. No matter your contribution to our safety and your country you stepped between fundies and their imaginary god. I'm surprised that you didn't receive death threats. That's what usually happens.

Sorry you felt the brunt of their delusions hatred. Sad

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 7 users Like Heatheness's post
06-02-2016, 10:12 PM
I served in the US Navy many decades ago (early '70s), and didn't really see the religious "right" like I see it now. I think that it was less of a problem then. But then, I was a "religious" person at the time. Maybe it was invisible to me, at the time. None of the guys I worked with in the engine room were churchgoers to speak of, and neither was I. I've been on Military.com and had some heated exchanges with some of the religious pushers there, posting as an atheist.
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
07-02-2016, 03:43 AM
christian soldiers KNOW that being a soldier because god told em too is the same thing ISIS is doing but they don't wanna admit it or even think about it in order to keep believing whatever it is in their heads they want to believe
[+] 2 users Like Ace's post
07-02-2016, 04:20 AM
(06-02-2016 08:14 PM)Anon Wrote:  I suppose I am at fault for making such a comment on a page that is heavily dominated by Fox News watching right wingers but still, the hatred towards a fellow veteran was eye opening to say the least. Anyone else have similar experiences?

I didn't. During my enlistment in the Air Force, I was open about my atheism, and indeed with my fellow firefighters we'd have BS sessions lasting late into the nights about matters religious. Most of them were religious, obviously, but myself and the one other open atheist were treated with respect, just as we did our brother firedogs who were believers.

For us, at the end of the day, we knew we each might be called-upon to save someone's ass, or we might have to radio for their help to save ours, and so little things like gods didn't really matter.

Of course, we were in the same unit, a much different scenario from an online site where folks don't know each other, don't work with each other, don't rely upon each other.

It's a shame those veterans there couldn't summon the respect for the fact that you swore the same oath they did. At one level, we're all brothas and sistas, having served the same oath.
[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
07-02-2016, 06:34 AM
(07-02-2016 04:20 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  a much different scenario from an online site where folks don't know each other, don't work with each other, don't rely upon each other.

Yep. Let's not forget that online behavior is different from real life.

One thing that happens is that just about anybody can find someone with whom to discuss just about any topic. So, likeminded people find each other. They may not find any like minded people in real life, but online they find each other and strengthen each other. This can have good or bad consequences for society.

Extremists find each other too, and sometimes groups do take over message boards. There may have been quite a few atheists reading it, but fearing the response, they stayed quiet.

You did good there, though. The more often people hear an atheist who is somehow linked to them, speak out, the better. It may make it possible for others to come out, or to come looking for places like this.

The gay thing became acceptable in that fashion, more and more spoke out, and eventually everyone knew somebody who was gay. Well, it was really always that way, but if no one identifies as gay, you don't know that. Gays started being noisy in the 70s - so you see how long it took to succeed.

I say you made a valuable contribution to the atheist cause, and not engaging in a war but leaving after you spoke your mind was perfect. Thumbsup

Sorry you had to suffer abuse for it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 7 users Like Dom's post
07-02-2016, 10:35 AM
(07-02-2016 06:34 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(07-02-2016 04:20 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  a much different scenario from an online site where folks don't know each other, don't work with each other, don't rely upon each other.

[...]

You did good there, though. The more often people hear an atheist who is somehow linked to them, speak out, the better. It may make it possible for others to come out, or to come looking for places like this.

[...]

I say you made a valuable contribution to the atheist cause, and not engaging in a war but leaving after you spoke your mind was perfect. Thumbsup

I think you have me confused with the OP? I never suffered abuse.

I agree that when people are forthright about their views, we are all better off.
07-02-2016, 10:51 AM
(06-02-2016 08:14 PM)Anon Wrote:  Has anybody else made a comment in a humor's way only to have it kick you in the down stairs area?!

I wonder if the military got religious after 9/11, or if different branches are just prone to be more religious than others. I was in the Marines post 9/11, and I don't think we ever talked about religion. Hardly anyone went to church, and it was almost an exclusively non-religious existence.

And though you were using humor, you did mean the comparison literally, and it seems that's what offended people. It shouldn't be surprising why any group would be pretty pissed off if you draw a comparison between them and ISIS, or the NAZI's etc, regardless if you think those comparisons are accurate.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
07-02-2016, 10:57 AM
(07-02-2016 03:43 AM)Ace Wrote:  christian soldiers KNOW that being a soldier because god told em too is the same thing ISIS is doing but they don't wanna admit it or even think about it in order to keep believing whatever it is in their heads they want to believe

Only if soldiers in the US Military are comparable to ISIS fighters, or this no more applies than claiming that the man that chose to devote his life to feed the homeless because he felt called by God, is the same as a man who raped and murdered children claiming that God told him to do it.

Or we could remove God from the question. We can say those who commit atrocities in the name of justice, and those who oppose those atrocities in the name of justice are the same.

Or those who claim to kill people in the name of science, and those who save lives in the name of science are the same.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
07-02-2016, 03:52 PM
(07-02-2016 10:35 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(07-02-2016 06:34 AM)Dom Wrote:  [...]

[...]

I think you have me confused with the OP? I never suffered abuse.

I agree that when people are forthright about their views, we are all better off.

Sorry, I only meant to address you with the first sentence... what you said got me thinking along those lines.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post