I simply need to vent!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2016, 04:07 PM
RE: I simply need to vent!
(06-02-2016 08:14 PM)Anon Wrote:  Has anybody else made a comment in a humor's way only to have it kick you in the down stairs area?!

I am a veteran. I, until recently, followed the Popular Military page on facebook. They had a recent article about how a new female recruit joined a combat MOS and she did it because God was guiding her to do so. Through humor I made the comparison that ISIS was doing what they are doing because God is telling them to do so. I had the entire state of Alabama pissed off!!! I try not to get into pissing match's on social media, I just don't see the need for extra stress in my life. I did however find it necessary to address the crowd so I posted my rebuttal to the hatred of all these good Christians and the result was much of the same.

What made this situation difficult is I am a veteran. 90% of the people attacking me were veterans. I did not experience the romantic vision of brothers in arms like you see in the movies during my military career. My experience while in the military was one of isolation because I did not share the world views of most military members. I saw combat and have a chest full of medals to prove it. The point here is these men and women who claim to be God loving, gun toting, hard on military supporting people attempted to take me to task for using humor to point out that extreme Christianity is no better than extreme Islam. When it became obvious that I was an Atheist I might as well been Lucifer himself. I ended up deleting the comment and unliking the page.

I suppose I am at fault for making such a comment on a page that is heavily dominated by Fox News watching right wingers but still, the hatred towards a fellow veteran was eye opening to say the least. Anyone else have similar experiences?

I find this mainly happens with Americans. One can question why someone joined up or any damned thing and they turn on you. Ask an Aussie and you get a measured response usually. Same with a Brit or a Canadian or a European. Americans are another matter.

Same story with guns.

Best just to shut up about it and leave them in their own universe. Like Rambo. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
07-02-2016, 04:13 PM
Venting is encouraged. It's cathartic.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-02-2016, 03:34 AM
To be honest, I thought the comparison was too extreme at first, but then I realized that, aside from meaning it humorously, you were comparing their motives rather than their actions. I doubt our Christian soldiers are killing Muslims simply for worshiping Muhammad instead of Jesus, even though ISIS gladly and systematically does the converse, but that's not the point.

The point, I think, is that the Bible has roughly just as much potential to justify an ISIS-like agenda as the Koran does. The fact that this potential is currently being realized only for the latter is a happy accident of history rather than the result of any significant intrinsic differences between the two holy books. God, then, is a very poor and often dangerous way to justify any action, because he can be unfalsifiably portrayed as condoning or even mandating essentially anything, even atrocities such as the Inquisition and 9/11. It doesn't matter if you call him Yahweh or Allah or Jehovah or Elohin or whatever.

At least, that's what I suspect you ultimately meant by your remark, though I admittedly haven't read it. Please feel free to correct me.

Assuming that was your underlying point, your only mistake was probably thinking that the Christians would be able to grasp that nuance. As I understand it, fundies are not very subtle thinkers, preferring to look at things in stark black-versus-white terms. Still, even if they had grasped it, they probably would have just cried out that the Bible is different and does not lend itself so easily to violence-inducing interpretations. If that were to happen, my response would likely have been a challenge for them to actually read the Bible cover-to-cover with no study guides or other filters. Special pleading is among the fundamentalists' favorite tropes, I'm afraid.

The only sacred truth in science is that there are no sacred truths. – Carl Sagan
Sōla vēritās sancta in philosophiā nātūrālī est absentia vēritātum sanctārum.
Ἡ μόνη ἱερᾱ̀ ἀληθείᾱ ἐν φυσικῇ φιλοσοφίᾳ ἐστίν ἡ ἱερῶν ἀληθειῶν σπάνις.
[+] 3 users Like Glossophile's post
08-02-2016, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2016 11:07 AM by Anon.)
(08-02-2016 03:34 AM)Glossophile Wrote:  To be honest, I thought the comparison was too extreme at first, but then I realized that, aside from meaning it humorously, you were comparing their motives rather than their actions. I doubt our Christian soldiers are killing Muslims simply for worshiping Muhammad instead of Jesus, even though ISIS gladly and systematically does the converse, but that's not the point.

The point, I think, is that the Bible has roughly just as much potential to justify an ISIS-like agenda as the Koran does. The fact that this potential is currently being realized only for the latter is a happy accident of history rather than the result of any significant intrinsic differences between the two holy books. God, then, is a very poor and often dangerous way to justify any action, because he can be unfalsifiably portrayed as condoning or even mandating essentially anything, even atrocities such as the Inquisition and 9/11. It doesn't matter if you call him Yahweh or Allah or Jehovah or Elohin or whatever.

At least, that's what I suspect you ultimately meant by your remark, though I admittedly haven't read it. Please feel free to correct me.

Assuming that was your underlying point, your only mistake was probably thinking that the Christians would be able to grasp that nuance. As I understand it, fundies are not very subtle thinkers, preferring to look at things in stark black-versus-white terms. Still, even if they had grasped it, they probably would have just cried out that the Bible is different and does not lend itself so easily to violence-inducing interpretations. If that were to happen, my response would likely have been a challenge for them to actually read the Bible cover-to-cover with no study guides or other filters. Special pleading is among the fundamentalists' favorite tropes, I'm afraid.

You nailed my point. My original comment was pointing out this very idea. In my rebuttal I made the point that I would rather have a logical thinking person by my side in a fire fight (which I have been a part of a few times) than someone who believes in magic. I said this more tactfully but my larger point was if you are justifying something based off a book that is as convoluted as the bible (or the Koran) and your guided by an invisible man that watches over you while you masturbate than obviously you are not thinking clearly about what you are about to do. I doubt she was about to join the military so she can go start beheading people but she was joining a combat MOS so killing people was on the table as a option. None the less, it was a very eye opening conversation. It was incredible to witness the hate filled comments that people, who believe in the good word, would say. I would have thought that if someone did not understand my position that they would have asked for clarification. Most of my experience on the forums here have been like that. When someone challenges another they simply ask for more information before attacking. These people, who took the same oath as I did and experienced much of the same things as I did only saw red and wanted blood.
[+] 1 user Likes Anon's post
08-02-2016, 01:57 PM
I simply need to vent!
No not really. But sometimes I wonder if I've offended them