I sincerely need your kind help. Struggled one year daily with Philosophy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2013, 09:00 AM
RE: I sincerely need your kind help. Struggled one year daily with Philosophy
(09-08-2013 08:30 AM)Freethinker2 Wrote:  They should release me from that relation.

By all means they should. But people are fickle. You can't please everyone, sometimes you just gotta please yourself.

It seems to me that you have quite decidedly formed a definition of yourself that you would like to use, and I see no reason that you shouldn't be afforded the right to do so.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2013, 09:51 AM
It seems they love you so much they cant let you go Smile

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
09-08-2013, 09:53 AM
(09-08-2013 09:00 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  You can't please everyone, sometimes you just gotta please yourself.

This statement is bugging me now. It's part of a song, isn't it? But what song? Huh

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-08-2013, 09:59 AM
(09-08-2013 08:51 AM)Dom Wrote:  I avoid the whole labeling thing by labeling myself a freethinker.

fixed.

You can't not label yourself.

You are either this, that or something else.
You can try to be hipster and shit and say how you don't subscribe to any particular label, but that's naive and retarded. Not to mention stupid, retarded and stupid.

You either believe in God, in which case you're a theist, or you don't believe in a God, in which case you're an atheist or you believe that we (man) can't know for certain, in which case you're a retard.

It's that fucking simply, I don't see how people cannot grasp this concept.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
09-08-2013, 10:13 AM
(09-08-2013 09:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(09-08-2013 09:00 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  You can't please everyone, sometimes you just gotta please yourself.

This statement is bugging me now. It's part of a song, isn't it? But what song? Huh

Ha! I actually didn't know either (I did pull the phrase from the song).

Here ya go, we both learned something!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
09-08-2013, 10:22 AM
(09-08-2013 09:59 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(09-08-2013 08:51 AM)Dom Wrote:  I avoid the whole labeling thing by labeling myself a freethinker.

fixed.

You can try to be hipster and shit and say how you don't subscribe to any particular label, but that's naive and retarded. Not to mention stupid, retarded and stupid.

You either believe in God, in which case you're a theist, or you don't believe in a God, in which case you're an atheist or you believe that we (man) can't know for certain, in which case you're a retard.

For some people, a simple label is a limiting concept that does not encapsulate what they would like to be. I smell what yer stepping in, muffs, but I can dig it. This thread is about the urge to expand beyond labels, or I think maybe to find a proper label that fits.

Maybe there lies the rub, finding a label that fits. I don't know that, in a real sense, a label that truly fits an individual exists. Perhaps that's the problem here. There is a desperate need for categorization where none is needed.

Freethinker, just live up to your namesake. Be an island. Your problem isn't that you can't find a proper label, it's that you somehow need for there to be one. You obviously have a strong sense of opinion and the wherewithal to investigate and ponder your own self. Let yourself be your own label. Damn the torpedoes.

~ Umberto Eco
09-08-2013, 10:24 AM
My favorite philosopher is Alan Watts. I don't think he was right all the time, or had better answers than everybody else, or anything like that. He's just such a pleasure to listen to.

He did say one thing that might help.

"What are you worried about? There's no problem. Just go do something."

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
09-08-2013, 10:32 AM
(09-08-2013 08:51 AM)Dom Wrote:  I avoid the whole labeling thing by calling myself a freethinker.

Labels, shnabels, You are an independent thinker and you follow logic and you decided that gods are made up.

That's what matters. Don't let the label Nazis get you! Drinking Beverage

Yes I tried that on them too and they did not buy it.
I where still an atheist by definition even if I where
self identifying as religious freethinker they told me.

It felt like being within a nightmare that was for real
there where no escape out a kind of Kafka play of logic.

you have not joined so you can not leave they told me.
09-08-2013, 10:34 AM
(09-08-2013 09:51 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  It seems they love you so much they cant let you go Smile

They behaved as if they loved to see me get more and more desperate
them being the controllers and me the puppet on their logical strings.

Whatever I did they where the Masters of Logic and there where no escape.
09-08-2013, 10:35 AM
(09-08-2013 09:59 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  

fixed.

You don't know shit about Freethought. Atheism is a small part of Freethought. Atheism just means that you think there is no god. Freethought rejects each facet of religion that is based on belief, and anything else in life that is based on belief. Atheism is just about whether there is a god or not, Freethought is an all-encompassing view of the world. Most people are just not familiar with it, it's not the "in" thing to be, it's older than the hills. But actually, most people here are Freethinkers and not just atheists.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man