I sincerely need your kind help. Struggled one year daily with Philosophy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2013, 07:08 AM
RE: I sincerely need your kind help. Struggled one year daily with Philosophy
(13-08-2013 02:59 AM)Freethinker2 Wrote:  Positively I am an anthropological theist
logically that makes me a non-philosophic atheist

I positively believe in anthropological theism
The gods of religious traditions are man made.
but seen from the atheist definition that view
makes me into a non-philosophical atheist
which means that I don't support the atheist definition.

I don't trust it can be explained much clearer than that.

I still do not understand what you are saying.

I do not believe gods exist, therefore - by definition - I'm an atheist.

This has absolutely nothing to do with any community or what anyone else believes.
It is merely a statement that I lack belief in gods.

You seem to want to bring in other things that have no bearing on that. Why?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Then we have to agree to disagree on this issue.
Find all posts by this user
13-08-2013, 11:13 PM
How could you reach your age with such terrible language skills? You could barely buy groceries expressing yourself like that

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
14-08-2013, 03:56 AM
Quote:How could you reach your age with such terrible language skills? You could barely buy groceries expressing yourself like that

this thread is in Personal Issues and Support so it is not proper to ask such questions is it?
14-08-2013, 09:33 AM
(13-08-2013 10:41 PM)Freethinker2 Wrote:  Then we have to agree to disagree on this issue.

I am not so much disagreeing with you as not understanding what you think the problem is.

15-08-2013, 09:09 AM
I have been following this thread and am confused here. I am new to the atheism social networking communities. It seems to me that freethinker2, english is a second language to you. Also, you are from a different culture and thus, have different ways of using language, defining things, etc. I don't understand why anyone would find it important for freethinker2 to assign any label at all to himself. It's sounding suspiciously like historical experiences I've had with defining as baptist, presbyterian, pentecostal...yikes! Factions.

It seems that you want to describe yourself as clearly as possible, as opposed to "label" yourself. I'm all for it! As a side note, I love your ideas! I think what is happening here has to do with the word "atheism," which by definition means I do not believe a god exists. However, your self description also includes how you think that happened. I am a little sad to hear that this cannot be respected, particularly when we have to take linguistic and cultural differences into account.

I think of the term "operational definition" from the scientific method...describing something clearly enough so that we all know what we are talking about. Your desire, I think, is to be able to refer to yourself in a manner that is clear..."I am a person who does not believe in god (an atheist) and I think that the gods that have been discussed are the products of social psychology and anthropology, created by people." Awesome! I too, like descriptions better than labels.
[+] 1 user Likes cbenham's post
15-08-2013, 12:57 PM
(15-08-2013 09:09 AM)cbenham Wrote:  I have been following this thread and am confused here. I am new to the atheism social networking communities. It seems to me that freethinker2, english is a second language to you. Also, you are from a different culture and thus, have different ways of using language, defining things, etc. I don't understand why anyone would find it important for freethinker2 to assign any label at all to himself. It's sounding suspiciously like historical experiences I've had with defining as baptist, presbyterian, pentecostal...yikes! Factions.

It seems that you want to describe yourself as clearly as possible, as opposed to "label" yourself. I'm all for it! As a side note, I love your ideas! I think what is happening here has to do with the word "atheism," which by definition means I do not believe a god exists. However, your self description also includes how you think that happened. I am a little sad to hear that this cannot be respected, particularly when we have to take linguistic and cultural differences into account.

I think of the term "operational definition" from the scientific method...describing something clearly enough so that we all know what we are talking about. Your desire, I think, is to be able to refer to yourself in a manner that is clear..."I am a person who does not believe in god (an atheist) and I think that the gods that have been discussed are the products of social psychology and anthropology, created by people." Awesome! I too, like descriptions better than labels.

cbenham thanks hope it is okay that I quote all of your text.

"operational definition" sounds like what I am looking for.
I borrowed two such from Anthropology of religion
not because I am a fan of them which I am not but because
it is seen as science and quoted on wikipedia so it has some merit to it.

I would prefer some definition from social psychology or experimental psychology. something reliable.

what I like most in your response is this part:

Quote:I think of the term "operational definition" from the scientific method...describing something clearly enough so that we all know what we are talking about. Your desire, I think, is to be able to refer to yourself in a manner that is clear..."I am a person who does not believe in god (an atheist) and I think that the gods that have been discussed are the products of social psychology and anthropology, created by people." Awesome! I too, like descriptions better than labels.

If one read what you write there then it is as clear as sky.
clear descriptions much better than labels forced upon us
by locked definitions. Descriptions can be changed by the user
but a definition is locked by the usage of the active atheists.

So much appreciated that you shared your view.
15-08-2013, 05:00 PM
(15-08-2013 12:57 PM)Freethinker2 Wrote:  
(15-08-2013 09:09 AM)cbenham Wrote:  I have been following this thread and am confused here. I am new to the atheism social networking communities. It seems to me that freethinker2, english is a second language to you. Also, you are from a different culture and thus, have different ways of using language, defining things, etc. I don't understand why anyone would find it important for freethinker2 to assign any label at all to himself. It's sounding suspiciously like historical experiences I've had with defining as baptist, presbyterian, pentecostal...yikes! Factions.

cbenham thanks hope it is okay that I quote all of your text.

"operational definition" sounds like what I am looking for.
I borrowed two such from Anthropology of religion
not because I am a fan of them which I am not but because
it is seen as science and quoted on wikipedia so it has some merit to it.

I would prefer some definition from social psychology or experimental psychology. something reliable.

what I like most in your response is this part:

Quote:I think of the term "operational definition" from the scientific method...describing something clearly enough so that we all know what we are talking about. Your desire, I think, is to be able to refer to yourself in a manner that is clear..."I am a person who does not believe in god (an atheist) and I think that the gods that have been discussed are the products of social psychology and anthropology, created by people." Awesome! I too, like descriptions better than labels.

If one read what you write there then it is as clear as sky.
clear descriptions much better than labels forced upon us
by locked definitions. Descriptions can be changed by the user
but a definition is locked by the usage of the active atheists.

So much appreciated that you shared your view.

The definition:
"I am a person who does not believe in god (an atheist) and I think that the gods that have been discussed are the products of social psychology and anthropology, created by people."
probably applies to most of the atheists here.

So I still don't understand your problem with the word 'atheist'.

15-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Why don't you try to describe what bothers you with the word atheism (what you infer from it, the connotations and details) instead of defining only your special set of beliefs... Just so we can differentiate one from the other

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
15-08-2013, 06:57 PM
(09-08-2013 06:45 AM)Freethinker2 Wrote:  The reason I struggle is that one need to be bright to get Philosophy

I can vouch for the fact that one ain't gotta be all that bright to study Philosophy. Girly almost graduated with a degree in it before ManlyGirl got all preggo and I realized "Welp, that's that, nobody gonna pay me dick to sit around and think deep thoughts, CompSci it is then." Now that was bright.

You just gotta be insatiably inquisitive and willing to hear, interpret, incorporate and integrate the responses. The process of which should always lead to further questions. No brightness required.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.