I sort of didn't believe it until I experienced an argument with a fundie

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2013, 10:57 AM
I sort of didn't believe it until I experienced an argument with a fundie
I had an argument with some fundies regarding my stance supporting gay marriage. It basically stemmed from them claiming their book was the guidebook for faith and conduct. I pointed out that the Bible is hardly something you should use as a basis for morality.

It went downhill from there.

Basically it came down to this exchange.
  • Tom Bux The reason I point out the atrocities in the Bible, even though I believe in none of it, is because it is supposedly the inerrant word of God. The only perfect rule for faith, doctrine, and conduct (to quote a popular pledge to the flag). So the Bible is either a historical allegory and cannot be used for a guide for how to live your life or it IS the word of God. If it is the second then you can base your system of morality on it. If you do then, you have to admit that the God of the old testament was not a nice god.

There ARE numerous accounts of genocide, condoning of slavery, torture, murder, infanticide. Do you deny this? If you do not how do you come to terms with worshiping a god that has acted this way?
    Saturday at 3:18pm</abbr> · Edited · Like
  • [Image: 41419_100001286653295_2062_q.jpg]

[/url]

[url=https://www.facebook.com/thewillardpreacher]Willard Preacher
    Tom, The difference between inter-racial marriage and homosexual marriage is that the act of homosexuality is a behavior - something one chooses to do - a behavior one chooses to call good. What we call race is merely a skin color, and has nothing to do with behavior. In Christianity it is behavior which can be labeled good or evil, not the color of one's skin.

You were not specific in what you believe God did in the Old Testament that was evil. If you want to bring them up one at a time we can discuss them. My guess is we have very different understandings as to why God did what he did.
    Saturday at 10:55pm · Like

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2013, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 06:14 PM by Doctor X.)
RE: I sort of didn't believe it until I experienced an argument with a fundie

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Doctor X's post
25-03-2013, 11:37 AM
"Discussing biblical scholarship with your basic pastor is like discussion astrophysics with an astrologer."

I shall be plagiarizing this statement. Thumbsup

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
[+] 3 users Like bbeljefe's post
25-03-2013, 11:41 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 06:20 PM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
25-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Quote:I have had these discussions regarding YHWH's demands for human sacrifice--particularly child sacrifice--and the response generally goes like this:
I'd be interested in hearing more about this--unless you are thinking of Abraham and Issac...?
Quote:homosexuality is a behavior - something one chooses to do - a behavior one chooses to call good
I would tend to disagree with this statement. However, homosexual marriage is certainly inappropriate. Is there a limit you put on marriage relationships? Can a limit on such relationships be a positive thing?
25-03-2013, 11:46 AM
(25-03-2013 11:41 AM)Doctor X Wrote:  Though if you do, kindly fix my poor grammar. . . . [Image: embarrassed.gif]

You may cite your source as "His Humble MagNIfIcence" and remember to crash the gong. [Image: db908516.gif]

--J.D.
Will do. And in the meantime you can tell all your friends that your sharp wit has impressed the Master of Space, Time and Dementia.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
25-03-2013, 11:48 AM
(25-03-2013 11:43 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:I have had these discussions regarding YHWH's demands for human sacrifice--particularly child sacrifice--and the response generally goes like this:
I'd be interested in hearing more about this--unless you are thinking of Abraham and Issac...?
Quote:homosexuality is a behavior - something one chooses to do - a behavior one chooses to call good
I would tend to disagree with this statement. However, homosexual marriage is certainly inappropriate. Is there a limit you put on marriage relationships? Can a limit on such relationships be a positive thing?
"homosexual marriage is certainly inappropriate"- say wat? Just because you say so doesn't mean it is so. Please entertain us all with the basis for the comment I quoted you on.
[+] 2 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
25-03-2013, 12:07 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 06:20 PM by Doctor X.)

[+] 3 users Like Doctor X's post
25-03-2013, 01:38 PM
I did not post it, but I mentioned the fact of God drowning everyone in the great flood. Women, children, men, infants in their mother's arms. He said.."They were warned for 100 years and chose not to prepare". So it's okay then to commit genocide....

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
25-03-2013, 01:50 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 06:20 PM by Doctor X.)

[+] 1 user Likes Doctor X's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Satan Argument cre8ivmind 15 332 26-07-2014 07:02 PM
Last Post: viocjit
  How would you deal with this argument? diddo97 49 781 24-05-2014 05:03 AM
Last Post: Rahn127
  The argument from evil proves that the world is horrible? WimpyPete 145 1,882 20-05-2014 02:38 PM
Last Post: WimpyPete
  A Deconstruction of the Moral Argument Reltzik 121 2,328 14-05-2014 05:49 PM
Last Post: Leo
  My thoughts on the whole Atheists vs. Theists argument Dobrev 11 347 09-05-2014 12:41 PM
Last Post: djhall
  What is wrong with this argument JDog554 24 350 01-05-2014 11:26 AM
Last Post: Reltzik
  Carrier - Jesus Didn't Exist houseofcantor 40 1,925 20-04-2014 05:49 PM
Last Post: Mark Fulton