I started a thread on American education....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2013, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2013 06:16 PM by StorMFront.)
I started a thread on American education....
I wanted to bring this up again (and leave out American aspect of it [since I had other Canadians saying I was wrong], yet it will come up probably). People were telling me you can teach WHATEVER they wanted to children without any consequences (laws enforcing it) to their actions.

This disturbed me, and I wanted to bring it back up again. People said, there was no laws against religious indoctrination in America, plus Canada (which technically would be child abuse under the definitions of the laws, plus compulsory education laws do cover that you can not teach anything you want). Also, they say freedom of religion and freedom of speech, which most democratic societies have (if not all)...allow indoctrination. Which I say bullshit, we have these rights, to a societies ethical standards. As individuals these rights are giving to you ...the individual. They arent meant to be given to us as right to teach or force on others. We arent the Tutus and Zulus of Africa, you cant teach your child to cut out the heart of another tribe and eat it.

I understand its nearly impossible to enforce this when it comes to Christianity, yet also where do we stop? Yet we must have a limit to religious freedom and freedom of speech, or all hell would break out. Which we obviously do have, we do not allow south Pacific tribes to practice their cannibalistic rituals or allow literal Sharia Law for muslims and I can go on.

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2013, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2013 06:42 PM by fstratzero.)
RE: I started a thread on American education....
(02-03-2013 06:06 PM)StorMFront Wrote:  I wanted to bring this up again (and leave out American aspect of it [since I had other Canadians saying I was wrong], yet it will come up probably). People were telling me you can teach WHATEVER they wanted to children without any consequences (laws enforcing it) to their actions.

This disturbed me, and I wanted to bring it back up again. People said, there was no laws against religious indoctrination in America, plus Canada (which technically would be child abuse under the definitions of the laws, plus compulsory education laws do cover that you can not teach anything you want). Also, they say freedom of religion and freedom of speech, which most democratic societies have (if not all)...allow indoctrination. Which I say bullshit, we have these rights, to a societies ethical standards. As individuals these rights are giving to you ...the individual. They arent meant to be given to us as right to teach or force on others. We arent the Tutus and Zulus of Africa, you cant teach your child to cut out the heart of another tribe and eat it.

I understand its nearly impossible to enforce this when it comes to Christianity, yet also where do we stop? Yet we must have a limit to religious freedom and freedom of speech, or all hell would break out. Which we obviously do have, we do not allow south Pacific tribes to practice their cannibalistic rituals or allow literal Sharia Law for muslims and I can go on.
I think if you are in a country where you can say anything you want, you must teach critical thinking. I don't think there is any way around it.

In high school I remember thinking that all this knowledge is not really practical.

Why do I need calculus? English? History? Biology? Science?

Luckily I had amazing teachers that could me how this knowledge was useful to me, and what questions this knowledge was trying to answer. I think the key is showing what questions these things are answering and why the apply to us, and how we can use it.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
02-03-2013, 07:02 PM
The point being made, was that parents (anyone) can teach their children whatever they like and that the law supports it. Well, sorry to burst any deluded fuckers out there bubbles, you CAN NOT teach your child whatever you like! As a society and being apart of that society you have a responsibility to raise your children to the standards of that society.

As my brother stated some examples, I will post others.

You have no right to teach your child that it can eat dirt and live, without facing criminal action.

You have no right to say that standing for 24/7 is good for you, without facing criminal action.

I could go on and on, I read many of the post from the other thread and I could not believe you fools did not understand what he was saying.
02-03-2013, 07:09 PM
(02-03-2013 07:02 PM)StorMRising Wrote:  The point being made, was that parents (anyone) can teach their children whatever they like and that the law supports it. Well, sorry to burst any deluded fuckers out there bubbles, you CAN NOT teach your child whatever you like!
Why, yes. Yes you can.

Which laws do you think forbid you to do so?
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
02-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Do you think the use of force against people who would teach religion or some other rational world view to their children is a valid means of helping humanity to think rationally?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2013, 07:15 PM
(02-03-2013 07:09 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Do you think the use of force against people who would teach religion or some other rational world view to their children is a valid means of helping humanity to think rationally?
No the question is to you since, you seem to support it...why wouldnt American society (or western societies) allow south Pacific religions that have rituals of eating already naturally dead relatives not fly? under the 1st amendment or similar laws?

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
02-03-2013, 07:17 PM
(02-03-2013 07:09 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(02-03-2013 07:02 PM)StorMRising Wrote:  The point being made, was that parents (anyone) can teach their children whatever they like and that the law supports it. Well, sorry to burst any deluded fuckers out there bubbles, you CAN NOT teach your child whatever you like!
Why, yes. Yes you can.

Which laws do you think forbid you to do so?
You tell me which one of the examples I expressed, you would think you would get away with in our society? FOR YOU, to think that you could teach your child something like that and get away with it, I would hope to all that is right that you do not have any children. If you were caught, I would hope the old testament rules appealed.
02-03-2013, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2013 07:26 PM by StorMFront.)
Vosur, you are basically saying you can say a child can have beer if you deem it right?

Walk up to a cop, crack a beer, hand it to your kid and lets see what happens.

02-03-2013, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2013 07:34 PM by fstratzero.)
(02-03-2013 07:02 PM)StorMRising Wrote:  The point being made, was that parents (anyone) can teach their children whatever they like and that the law supports it. Well, sorry to burst any deluded fuckers out there bubbles, you CAN NOT teach your child whatever you like! As a society and being apart of that society you have a responsibility to raise your children to the standards of that society.

As my brother stated some examples, I will post others.

You have no right to teach your child that it can eat dirt and live, without facing criminal action.

You have no right to say that standing for 24/7 is good for you, without facing criminal action.

I could go on and on, I read many of the post from the other thread and I could not believe you fools did not understand what he was saying.

You can break the law. Just because something is law doesn't automatically make people abide by it at all.

I do agree with you that I don't think these things are moral, but human beings will always do everything, and anything all the time. All we can do as a society is attempt to minimize the harm.

How would you stop a person from teaching their children to eat dirt?

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
02-03-2013, 07:30 PM
(02-03-2013 07:17 PM)StorMRising Wrote:  You tell me which one of the examples I experienced you would get away with in our society. FOR YOU, to think that you could teach your child something like that and get away with it, I would hope to all that is right that you do not have any children. If you were caught, I would hope the old testament rules appealed.
Since personal attacks neither add anything to the conversation, nor to the strength of your argument, I would appreciate it if you simply kept them to yourself.

With that said, please either answer the question I asked you or retract the claim that "you CAN NOT [sic] teach your child whatever you like".
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post