I still can't get used to Trump being president

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2017, 07:54 AM
RE: I still can't get used to Trump being president
(12-03-2017 05:35 AM)morondog Wrote:  The only thing that truly does worry me is that he could quite credibly provoke an unnecessary war.
Mark my words, there WILL be at least one and quite possibly multiple wars, unnecessary or otherwise. The last (and sometimes first) resort of someone who ran as a nationalistic savior is to manufacture or enhance crises to enhance that role and to put the locus of threat on The Hated Other.

Bannon has publicly said he foresees war with China, for example, and is eager for it because his discredited theory of history says that wars are necessary purgatives every three generations or so. He is eager to destroy "the system" and to be on the ground floor of its successor.

As one investor said recently, if we have nuclear war it won't matter whether you're in stocks or bonds, so he simply ignores the big risks. I don't think it even takes nuclear war to wipe out most of our wealth in a matter of days or hours. And that's just looking at it from the perspective of my retirement savings.

I make a high hourly rate at consulting but that depends on a functioning economy and reliable computer networking. Without it, I would be working up the road at the deli making sandwiches for luckier people. Or quite possibly, not working at all.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
12-03-2017, 10:28 AM
(11-03-2017 10:32 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 07:33 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  ...
and I don't know how I'm going to make it through the next few years.
You mean it hasn't been 4 years yet? Gasp It sure seems like 4 years. Weeping

Yes, I've been having a similar experience. I don't watch him on TV news because I can't stand to listen to him. I get my news from reading on the internet. I'm in partial denial because deep down I feel like I'm just waiting for him to self-implode so we can all move on. I have this constant feeling of impending doom as he is one-by-one attacking/removing/destroying things that I find fundamental to what this country is supposed to stand for. In his own limited words, he's a disaster - except in his case, he literally is. For the first time ever, it seems like we have a President who is not about freedom and democracy at all.

(11-03-2017 10:32 AM)Impulse Wrote:  You mean it hasn't been 4 years yet? Gasp It sure seems like 4 years.

Trump years are like dog years. One year equals three years. Sadcryface

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
12-03-2017, 10:29 AM
(12-03-2017 10:28 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Trump years are like dog years. One year equals three years. Sadcryface
Sorry to inform you, but the general overall rule of thumb is that one dog year = seven people years.
12-03-2017, 10:38 AM
[attachment=3692]What are the chances that Anton's fear may resonate?

You have to be odd to be #1.
12-03-2017, 10:47 AM
(12-03-2017 10:38 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  What are the chances that Anton's fear may resonate?
Yeah I hadn't thought of people using the new deportation regime to get rid of people they don't like. If they were deporting elderly white guys of German ancestry it's true that I would think first of any neighbors / frenemies / unchosen relatives not similarly vulnerable who might have me on their shit list.

In established totalitarianism, of course, there is are multiple pressures to rat out people and there's little concern for whether there's any truth to any allegations, too. In the early stages of WW2 for example, before the concentration camps were even created, people were ratting out neighbors because there was an excellent chance you could get control of their property once they "disappeared", and there was the rationalization that if you didn't do it to them they would do it to you. The only modicum of safety from finger-pointing was to be a finger-pointer yourself.

The beauty of this from the viewpoint of the government was that it implicates everyone in the work of the state, and guilty consciences will help the government cover up its actions, because if the government is exposed for what it is, so are its collaborators.

Risky game, though. It can turn on you on a dime.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
12-03-2017, 11:27 AM
(12-03-2017 06:48 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  But really - is your life one iota different with him in office?

I'm not talking about political idealism - I'm talking about real, definable things that affect you everyday existence.

I'm betting "not much"...

Agreed. Must be the "Henny Penny" syndrome?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
12-03-2017, 11:33 AM
(12-03-2017 07:26 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Those are things that COULD become changes - but they're not right now AND there's no saying a different president might not bring the exact same changes as Clarabelle..

Especially with a majority ( R ) house and Senate.

True. As long as most Republicans think the ACA a disaster and deny climate change, they are pretty much interchangeable.

However, no one else lies like Trump lies.
12-03-2017, 03:20 PM
Yes. Still struggling.
I find it helps to take a break from reading NYT, Twitter, etc.
Just for my own sanity.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
12-03-2017, 04:50 PM
(12-03-2017 03:20 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Yes. Still struggling.
I find it helps to take a break from reading NYT, Twitter, etc.
Just for my own sanity.

For the moment I'm also taking a break from NYT and all online news sites. I think it was starting to affect my mental health. I have donated to several campaigns, like the one in Georgia for the empty Sessions seat. I've gotta keep hope alive somehow.

In my dreams I dream that several republican senate seats change to a democrat in the off year election in 2018 making the Democrats the majority again. That's my day dream and hope. In the meantime I try to erase trump out of my memory bank.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
12-03-2017, 04:58 PM
Ossoff? I donated $15 to him. lol

I heard he has raised a ton of dough. I hope it helps!

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]