I still can't get used to Trump being president

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2017, 11:58 PM
RE: I still can't get used to Trump being president
(12-03-2017 11:27 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 06:48 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  But really - is your life one iota different with him in office?

I'm not talking about political idealism - I'm talking about real, definable things that affect you everyday existence.

I'm betting "not much"...

Agreed. Must be the "Henny Penny" syndrome?

"Hey as long as the vehicle's going it doesn't matter if the road ahead is marked with warning signs about a cliff"

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
13-03-2017, 12:26 AM
[Image: taylor.gif]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
13-03-2017, 01:40 AM
(12-03-2017 06:48 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Oh come on.. Seriously????

First off - I didn't vote for Clarabelle, so don't think I'm in favor of the assclown...

But really - is your life one iota different with him in office?

I'm not talking about political idealism - I'm talking about real, definable things that affect you everyday existence.

I'm betting " not much".

I've lived through a whole series of presidential assclowns and I'm betting I'll make it through one more, just fine.

I've got a friend on dialysis who stands to lose his insurance which pays for it. It goddamned well has a real, expressible difference in his life.

I'm glad you're gonna sail through it just fine. But you should be a bit more cautious about generalizing your experience to others, because it shows an essential thoughtlessness on your part.
[+] 7 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
13-03-2017, 01:41 AM
(12-03-2017 06:48 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  But really - is your life one iota different with him in office?

I'm betting " not much".

ob,

My life is different and better in some ways. I used to be a news junkie and now I've turned off. I used to read newspapers every day and now I don't.

Lots of folks are telling me the same thing.

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
13-03-2017, 02:51 AM
> So, does anyone here think that Trump will be impeached by his own party as some pundits are now predicting?
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
13-03-2017, 03:00 AM
(13-03-2017 02:51 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > So, does anyone here think that Trump will be impeached by his own party as some pundits are now predicting?

No. Even if he is a lame duck, he's their lame duck.

The headstone for the United States will read "At Least The Other Team Lost Too".
[+] 6 users Like EvolutionKills's post
13-03-2017, 03:16 AM

A couple people at work (in Canada) unfriended each other on Facebook over the 2016 US elections.

'Murican Canadian
13-03-2017, 06:57 AM
(12-03-2017 11:33 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 07:26 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Those are things that COULD become changes - but they're not right now AND there's no saying a different president might not bring the exact same changes as Clarabelle..

Especially with a majority ( R ) house and Senate.

True. As long as most Republicans think the ACA a disaster and deny climate change, they are pretty much interchangeable.

However, no one else lies like Trump lies.

That's kind of it.. Trump is Zaphod Beeblebrox as President of the Imperial Galaxy..

He's a lightning rod for attention to distract the public from those in real power - in this case the ( R ) majority House and Senate.

He's just one guy folks - and he really isn't all-powerful.

But he's keeping you busy - so mission accomplished, eh?

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
13-03-2017, 07:30 AM
(13-03-2017 06:57 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  That's kind of it.. Trump is Zaphod Beeblebrox as President of the Imperial Galaxy..

He's a lightning rod for attention to distract the public from those in real power - in this case the ( R ) majority House and Senate.

Yes and no.

It is interesting how people break down into a few groups on this:

1) Those for whom it is not and cannot be normalized
2) Those who rationalize that it's not really unusual or concerning
3) Those who acknowledge it's unusual but not THAT unusual or concerning
4) [Possibly overlapping one or more of the above] Those who in some way just profess to be Above It All and look with amusement or disdain on those who aren't

I submit that (2) through (4) are just various forms of denial and avoidance.

Because I am in camp (1) does not mean I think some kind of dystopian outcome is the only one possible, or even that it's the most likely. But it IS non-trivially possible, and less impressive scenarios could cause a lot of human suffering played out over many years.

It is clear that Trump already impacts many of us, and that it is mostly psychological impact at this point doesn't make it somehow invalid. It will be more than psychological soon enough, as any idiot can see. Simply continuing the trajectories of the past would be concerning enough. Throwing millions off health care (overtly or with political cover, it doesn't matter) for example is only going to make it worse.

People are right to brace themselves for worse days ahead, and to decry how unnecessary it is. As Sanders is fond of saying, it is not that America is too broke to fix its problems, it is that oligarchs and plutocrats and corporations are hoarding the money for themselves. People can still be rich and relatively powerful in a progressive vision of America, as long as they pay their fair share of the freight. What Trump is doing is cementing what you call "those in real power", which is corporations and the ultra-wealthy. The version of dystopian sci-fi that appears most likely to come true, if it isn't already a fait accompli, is the one where corporations control everything and governments are just their puppets.
[+] 10 users Like mordant's post
13-03-2017, 08:58 AM
(13-03-2017 07:30 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(13-03-2017 06:57 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  That's kind of it.. Trump is Zaphod Beeblebrox as President of the Imperial Galaxy..

Yes and no.

It is interesting how people break down into a few groups on this:

1) Those for whom it is not and cannot be normalized
2) Those who rationalize that it's not really unusual or concerning
3) Those who acknowledge it's unusual but not THAT unusual or concerning
4) [Possibly overlapping one or more of the above] Those who in some way just profess to be Above It All and look with amusement or disdain on those who aren't

I submit that (2) through (4) are just various forms of denial and avoidance.

Because I am in camp (1) does not mean I think some kind of dystopian outcome is the only one possible, or even that it's the most likely. But it IS non-trivially possible, and less impressive scenarios could cause a lot of human suffering played out over many years.

It is clear that Trump already impacts many of us, and that it is mostly psychological impact at this point doesn't make it somehow invalid. It will be more than psychological soon enough, as any idiot can see. Simply continuing the trajectories of the past would be concerning enough. Throwing millions off health care (overtly or with political cover, it doesn't matter) for example is only going to make it worse.

People are right to brace themselves for worse days ahead, and to decry how unnecessary it is. As Sanders is fond of saying, it is not that America is too broke to fix its problems, it is that oligarchs and plutocrats and corporations are hoarding the money for themselves. People can still be rich and relatively powerful in a progressive vision of America, as long as they pay their fair share of the freight. What Trump is doing is cementing what you call "those in real power", which is corporations and the ultra-wealthy. The version of dystopian sci-fi that appears most likely to come true, if it isn't already a fait accompli, is the one where corporations control everything and governments are just their puppets.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.