I still don't understand...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2014, 02:23 PM
RE: I still don't understand...
Guess it was different as a Catholic. You just went to confession and did your penance and everything was all better.

We weren't told to go recruit.

I can understand the ones that come and want to talk. It's the ones that lead with threats that really confuse me.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2014, 02:37 PM
(05-02-2014 02:23 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Guess it was different as a Catholic. You just went to confession and did your penance and everything was all better.

I can understand the ones that come and want to talk. It's the ones that lead with threats that really confuse me.

As Catholics we were told to go forth and multiply. Smile

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
05-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Happy (TTA) Birthday Anj!!

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
05-02-2014, 02:41 PM
(05-02-2014 02:23 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Guess it was different as a Catholic. You just went to confession and did your penance and everything was all better.

I was Catholic too, so I didn't recruit but I still wanted to "save" people.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
05-02-2014, 02:41 PM
Thanks Muffs...Its my birthday too. Dodgy

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
05-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Ol' ... who was it now... not Isiah... oh it was Ezekiel! Somewhere in one of his rambling passages he says something as follows:
"If you see a wicked man and tell him that he's wicked and he repents then you've saved the bugger from burning, good for you. If you *don't* tell him he's wicked then you've commited a mortal sin yourself and *his blood will be on your head* (they Bible types love flamboyant shit like that). If you tell him and he tells you to get bent then he will still burn but it's no longer your problem, his evil won't be held against you at final judgment day."

Not only are the poor bastards now responsible for their own sins, they also gotta worry about every single wicked man they walk past in the street, and God's supplied a very long list of what constitutes wickedness, including but not limited to homosexuality, adultery, masturbation (Bible was written by bitter, twisted, horny old goats) and a variety of other incomprehensible sins...

AFAIK from my experience with Christian groups that single passage, together with JC's disciples of all nations quote, is why the door knockers are so rabidly keen to share the good news with you. Partially 'cos they don't wanna you to burna in zee devil's kitchen, partly 'cos they don't wanna be held responsible for not tellin' ya.

Fuck me, I just had a flashback I did *not* wanna have Confused Me sharing the good news... the one and only time I've ever done it. What a fucking prat.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
05-02-2014, 02:51 PM
(05-02-2014 02:40 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Happy (TTA) Birthday Anj!!

Thanks Muffs...two years here. Whodathunkit?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
05-02-2014, 03:12 PM
Happy happy Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
05-02-2014, 03:31 PM
(05-02-2014 12:28 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have been on this forum nearly two years and am still confused with regard to many of the theists that show up.

We have the ones that make one 'you are all wrong and damned to hell' thread/post. These usually contain a Bible verse or two. People here come back with questions only to find that the theist on a mission has left the building. It sort of reminds me of the flyers that get left on our front door from time to time. Read this, I made my point, my job here is done.

Then we get the ones that come in and will answer a question or two but leave after a while when they figure out that we just aren't going to buy into their belief system easily. They made the effort, on the surface, and apparently fulfilled some requirement that their church has of them. Sort of like Internet JWs that will engage in a short conversation but will also take 'no' for an answer and then move on to the next house to run through the spiel again. I often wonder how many of these brief visits actually draw someone in.

Then we have the ranters and ravers that are screaming their beliefs at us in what seems to be an attempt to browbeat us into agreeing with them. Those remind me of the people on the street with big 'God hates fags' signs, or something similar. To me it feels like a bullying tactic. Like they are yelling, "YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE WHAT I BELIEVE BECAUSE I AM LOUD AND RIGHT". - and I am yelling so loud that I can't hear a thing you have to say-think Westboro

We very infrequently have some that show up and actually want to interact; to have a conversation. Maybe they are really interested in what we have to say and maybe their technique is just smoother. I don't know.

I don't think that I will ever understand the need to try to convert people. What is the promise made in exchange for new believers? I am often mystified by it all. This was not a part of the churches I attended so it is so foreign to me that I must be missing some real key piece here. Anybody have a good explanation?

Sorry, rambling...just some things that make me wonder and have begun to bring out an instant knee-jerk reaction in me. I tend to now just see the screaming bully even when the new theist on the block may actually be someone interested in the exchange of idea. Consider

[Image: lp_zpsb4be6d6a.jpg]

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
[+] 3 users Like Crulax's post
05-02-2014, 03:31 PM
Happy anniversary.

I don't go to Christain forums to tell them they're wrong. I don't go knocking on doors to share the good news that there isn't any god. Consider

There have been some nice theist types, but they are too few and far between the rabid, I'm-right-you're-wrong types we all too frequently get.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon