I still remember time before the internet

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2014, 09:23 AM
RE: I still remember time before the internet
(23-04-2014 09:22 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I like this idea.

How to make it mainstream...?

......profit?!
Profit for who?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2014, 09:25 AM
(23-04-2014 06:53 AM)War Horse Wrote:  This may be a problem when I date my checks. Consider
Without a doubt. However, writing checks may be a problem in the first place, so... Consider
23-04-2014, 09:27 AM
(23-04-2014 09:06 AM)living thing Wrote:  
(23-04-2014 07:11 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  The advantage of AI (After Internet) is that Unix time is already the defacto time stamp used in computer systems. This is the number of seconds since 1st January 1970.

I suggest that AI should start from the same date to make it more consistent.
Well, it would surely make it easier to adopt, and since it is nevertheless an arbitrary convention, ease of adoption is a great factor to be taken into account.

I like the ARPANET date because I find its first message meaningful, but I'll be happy with any reference date that does not remind me of the lord thing jesuschrist thing.

Cheers!

Unix time starts just over two months after the 29th October 1969 and most of the internet's servers have ran a Unix variant operating system.

And oh yeah, people don't have to worry about the singularity. I wish they did. I might start getting more results from my research.
23-04-2014, 09:31 AM
(23-04-2014 09:23 AM)living thing Wrote:  
(23-04-2014 09:22 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I like this idea.

How to make it mainstream...?

......profit?!
Profit for who?

Whoever makes it mainstream?

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
23-04-2014, 09:33 AM
(23-04-2014 09:22 AM)living thing Wrote:  
(23-04-2014 09:11 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Speaking on behalf of the Internet, don't invent any more new time standards. We have plenty complexity enough already.
Speaking on behalf of myself, thanks for your remark. But counting the years past from a conventional reference date is not inventing a new time standard. I'm not making up new complex rules, simply suggesting a different reference date.

You can count your years in relation to whatever reference date you'd like, I'll count my years in whatever reference date I like. Can you please ask the internet if it is happy with that?

You seem to be misunderstanding my remark as a personal one. It isn't. It's a technological remark, ergo on behalf of the Internet not its netizens. Start here to get a sense of what the Internet is already up against, though this is limited to gregorian:

You can count however you like, but the moment you want a computer to count your way - the answer is no. We have enough complexity to deal with already.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
23-04-2014, 09:40 AM
(23-04-2014 09:27 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Unix time starts just over two months after the 29th October 1969 and most of the internet's servers have ran a Unix variant operating system.
Oh, yes, I understand how it would be easier to implement in computer systems; in many cases, the implementation is practically done already. But changes would still need to be done to Unix systems in order to reflect the true unix date instead of the little christian propaganda they currently show. Besides, not everyone can relate to Unix systems; I can already picture Bill Gates' fans asking "and why the Unix date?"

In standard western convention, October 29 1969 is a date to which all internet users can relate to, regardless of the platform they use to access the network.

But if you think Unix time has a better chance of adoption, I'll vote for Unix time, I can secretly add a couple of months in my mind and relate it to internet time :-)
23-04-2014, 09:48 AM
The current time is 4 hours 38 minutes SRA (Since Rahn Awoke)

Everything else before this time is only a memory.
As far as I'm concerned the universe begins with me waking up.
I gold medaled in self-centeredness in the last olympics. There was no second or third place.

To be honest though, if I were to pick a new point from which to base our current year on, I would probably base it off of when humans first began to explore the world, leaving the continent of Africa, like birds leaving the nest of what was known and safe to reach out with curiosity and courage.

Basing time off of the torture and death of a fictional character seems a tad bit insane.
Might as well base it off of Kenny dying in South Park.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
23-04-2014, 09:55 AM
(23-04-2014 09:33 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  You seem to be misunderstanding my remark as a personal one. It isn't. It's a technological remark, ergo on behalf of the Internet not its netizens. Start here to get a sense of what the Internet is already up against, though this is limited to gregorian:

(...)

You can count however you like, but the moment you want a computer to count your way - the answer is no. We have enough complexity to deal with already.
Please excuse me if I remain skeptical towards those who claim to speak on behalf of abstract notions. You can, of course, claim to speak on behalf of whatever you please. I can, of course, choose not to believe your words.

I can program an electronic device to measure time in whichever way I want, as long as I know the rate at which it draws energy from its source of power; it doesn't even have to be in planetary orbits. And if you don't like it that is fine, you can use whatever reference metrics you get most pleasure in using. I don't find it a problem because even though I'm fairly stupid, I can understand how you and I may be using different metrics, I can translate your "simple" view into my "complicated" view by performing a simple addition or subtraction.

Mine was only a suggestion, not a mandatory rule. But if you think you already have as much complexity as you can handle, I can only recommend you to think again. Where living beings are concerned, complexity is on the rise whether you like it or not.

Have fun, Hafnof, enjoy the complexity around you!
23-04-2014, 10:00 AM
(23-04-2014 09:48 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  The current time is 4 hours 38 minutes SRA (Since Rahn Awoke)

Everything else before this time is only a memory.
As far as I'm concerned the universe begins with me waking up.
I gold medaled in self-centeredness in the last olympics. There was no second or third place.

To be honest though, if I were to pick a new point from which to base our current year on, I would probably base it off of when humans first began to explore the world, leaving the continent of Africa, like birds leaving the nest of what was known and safe to reach out with curiosity and courage.

Basing time off of the torture and death of a fictional character seems a tad bit insane.
Might as well base it off of Kenny dying in South Park.
Your choice for a reference date is beautiful, Rahn, years since the beginning of exploration. The problem I find in it? Precision.

We don't know exactly when the first human beings left the patch of land we label as "Africa". The moment when the first internet message was sent is recorded with a precision of minutes.

Thanks Rahn, have a good day!
23-04-2014, 10:03 AM
(23-04-2014 09:31 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(23-04-2014 09:23 AM)living thing Wrote:  Profit for who?

Whoever makes it mainstream?
Let us all make it mainstream and let us all benefit from the profit!