I still remember time before the internet

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2014, 10:06 AM
RE: I still remember time before the internet
Depends, really, on what one really feels "time" should mean.

Actual, consistent, regulated time is a product of the digital age. So it's reasonably appropriate to count from the beginning of that era. Historical dating is a total clusterfuck - even today ("today") the whole planet still doesn't agree on what day it is!

Year numbering is the only thing feasible to change. I can see the attraction of a symbolic value, but as a practical concern it's just uniformity that matters.

In the realm of "things that will never actually happen", I also propose moving the start of the year (back) to March. Not for any particularly good reason, but just so that the months are numbered properly again.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2014, 10:21 AM
(23-04-2014 10:06 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Depends, really, on what one really feels "time" should mean.

Actual, consistent, regulated time is a product of the digital age. So it's reasonably appropriate to count from the beginning of that era. Historical dating is a total clusterfuck - even today ("today") the whole planet still doesn't agree on what day it is!

Year numbering is the only thing feasible to change. I can see the attraction of a symbolic value, but as a practical concern it's just uniformity that matters.

In the realm of "things that will never actually happen", I also propose moving the start of the year (back) to March. Not for any particularly good reason, but just so that the months are numbered properly again.
Well, that's the thing. People from almost every culture can relate to the internet; its first message can be meaningful to any of its users.

I'm happy with the March thing. In fact, if you want to change the names of the months too, I find some of them rather primitive.

The good thing about languages not being constrained by dictionaries is that we can make up the languages as we go along. In a universe that is constantly changing, that dynamism is extremely helpful.

Thanks, cjlr. Have a good one!
23-04-2014, 03:19 PM
(23-04-2014 10:00 AM)living thing Wrote:  
(23-04-2014 09:48 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  The current time is 4 hours 38 minutes SRA (Since Rahn Awoke)

Everything else before this time is only a memory.
As far as I'm concerned the universe begins with me waking up.
I gold medaled in self-centeredness in the last olympics. There was no second or third place.

To be honest though, if I were to pick a new point from which to base our current year on, I would probably base it off of when humans first began to explore the world, leaving the continent of Africa, like birds leaving the nest of what was known and safe to reach out with curiosity and courage.

Basing time off of the torture and death of a fictional character seems a tad bit insane.
Might as well base it off of Kenny dying in South Park.
Your choice for a reference date is beautiful, Rahn, years since the beginning of exploration. The problem I find in it? Precision.

We don't know exactly when the first human beings left the patch of land we label as "Africa". The moment when the first internet message was sent is recorded with a precision of minutes.

Thanks Rahn, have a good day!

I don't think the precise year is all that important, as long as everyone agrees to use the same date. The Gregorian calender is a good example.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
23-04-2014, 03:28 PM
I like how T.H. White said it in the Once and Future King. At some point you have to accept the status quo and move on from there. Accept that history has contained injustices and the world has been unfair and move forward.

Seeking to revise the current dating system would be a huge waste of time and effort. It might be fun to think of but it's not an effective use of time or resources.
[+] 2 users Like natachan's post
23-04-2014, 06:10 PM
"Curse these personal computers!" cried the novice in anger, "To make them do anything I must use three or even four editing programs. Sometimes I get so confused that I erase entire files. This is truly intolerable!"
The master programmer stared at the novice. "And what would you do to remedy this state of affairs?" he asked.
The novice thought for a moment. "I will design a new editing program," he said, "a program that will replace all these others."
Suddenly the master struck the novice on the side of his head. It was not a heavy blow, but the novice was nonetheless surprised. "What did you do that for?" exclaimed the novice.
"I have no wish to learn another editing program," said the master.
And suddenly the novice was enlightened.

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?TheZenOfProgramming

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
23-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Nope, nope, nope.
It is year 14-16 billion T.A. (Tempus Anno.)

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 2 users Like Alex_Leonardo's post
23-04-2014, 11:16 PM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2014 11:20 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(23-04-2014 06:53 AM)War Horse Wrote:  This may be a problem when I date my checks. Consider

What's a "check" ? Tongue
One of those little pieces of paper they used to write on way back when ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
23-04-2014, 11:26 PM
(23-04-2014 11:16 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(23-04-2014 06:53 AM)War Horse Wrote:  This may be a problem when I date my checks. Consider

What's a "check" ? Tongue

No mate, that's a cheque.

Dodgy

It was a typo. WH really meant ... chicks

Smile

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
23-04-2014, 11:33 PM
(23-04-2014 11:26 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(23-04-2014 11:16 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What's a "check" ? Tongue

No mate, that's a cheque.

Dodgy

Smile

Now THAT makes more sense. Yes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-04-2014, 05:18 AM
(23-04-2014 11:33 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(23-04-2014 11:26 PM)DLJ Wrote:  No mate, that's a cheque.

Dodgy

Smile

Now THAT makes more sense. Yes

Yes, yes, of course thats what I meant....... Chicks ! Big Grin

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post