Poll: Do you suck at smalltalk?
Yes
No
Well, there is this neighbour, who has a dog. His wife .......
Tell me more!
[Show Results]

I suck at smalltalk

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2012, 04:37 PM
I suck at smalltalk
so... I suck at smalltalk, I mean in real life.

I am not interested what the person I don't even want to know is going to do next weekend or thinks about the weather.
I do not want to listen to people who talk a lot but say nothing.
I do not want to smile and nod like a stupid one and say "yes" every few seconds to seem interested in the BS someone I just met is babbling in an endless monolouge.
I am not going to discuss the article from the morning papers that was about a dog shitting on the sidewalk...
I will not discuss anything with people who do not listen and respond properly in a conversation.

I suck at smalltalk.
I get quiet. I wait for something interesting, a topic you can actually talk about. But it's not coming.
As I suck at smalltalk I pretty much also suck at meeting new people in real life and I suck when people gather because I am not able to concentrate on a conversation that is not interesting.
Some people are geniusses, they can entertain and be entertained in a smalltalk environment for hours. I can't.

and now you

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Leela's post
01-03-2012, 04:39 PM
RE: I suck at smalltalk
(01-03-2012 04:37 PM)Leela Wrote:  so... I suck at smalltalk, I mean in real life.

I am not interested what the person I don't even want to know is going to do next weekend or thinks about the weather.
I do not want to listen to people who talk a lot but say nothing.
I do not want to smile and nod like a stupid one and say "yes" every few seconds to seem interested in the BS someone I just met is babbling in an endless monolouge.
I am not going to discuss the article from the morning papers that was about a dog shitting on the sidewalk...
I will not discuss anything with people who do not listen and respond properly in a conversation.

I suck at smalltalk.
I get quiet. I wait for something interesting, a topic you can actually talk about. But it's not coming.
As I suck at smalltalk I pretty much also suck at meeting new people in real life and I suck when people gather because I am not able to concentrate on a conversation that is not interesting.
Some people are geniusses, they can entertain and be entertained in a smalltalk environment for hours. I can't.

and now you

Yep.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
01-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Kinda..

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
01-03-2012, 04:57 PM
I find people interesting - even the boring ones.
It's easy to let others talk, to ask questions, to nod, and it's easy to hear little nuggets of insight among the junk.
It's harder to listen with interest the eighth time the same story is told.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
01-03-2012, 05:21 PM
I freakin' LOVE small talk! I could enter a small talk competition and win! People, like Peterkin said, fascinate me. However, I am a little, err- not eccentric, but something like it- and I sometimes get silently amused at the whole scenario and picture it like watching an indie movie or something. Peoples mannerisms, train of thought, awkwardness or lack of awkwardness, social cues (or lack of), whether the small talk is generally about them, something else, or whatever. One of my favourite is when the person mentions the same thing again (mentioning the weather at the beginning and then at the end again) to round out the conversation before parting ways.

The only small talk I hate is the small talk while picking the kids up at school. I'm not sure why (maybe the setting? I dunno. Grocery store small talk is better.)
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
01-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Has this been posted here yet?

I don't see gross and ridiculous: i see epic drama.

What's fascinating is the raw originality, individuality and lack of inhibition.
The latent, unrealized power in these people!
What's terrifying is that a glass-brick wall has been erected between them and the bright spirit that could lead them to improve the world.
What's tragic is that they are eminently open to the dark spirit.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
01-03-2012, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 05:53 PM by DLJ.)
Small talk.... *nods head*
Big talk.... Observing a person's comfortableness with small talk as the easiest way of identifying an Introvert vs an Extrovert.
How do you identify an Extrovert Accountant? Someone who looks at YOUR shoes when they are talking to you!

TA (transactional analysis, not thinking atheist) tells us that small talk is an essential requirement to help establish you are not (or someone else is not) a psycho... imagine how you feel in these two scenarios..
a) your neighbour for months has always smiled / waved / said "hi, how ya doing this morning" when you bump into each other your way to work and then one day says "you know what, we should get know each other more, why don't we go for beer sometime?"
b) you have noticed your neighbour every morning for months but never got eye contact and then one day your neighbour says "Spock, is by far the best ever Star Trek character, what's your opinion?" or worse "I want to talk to you about Jeeezus".

Result: Scenario a) beer, friendliness, sex, survival of the species. Scenario b) RUN AWAY!

Conclusion: Small talk gets you laid!
(01-03-2012 05:39 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  Has this been posted here yet?

I don't see gross and ridiculous: i see epic drama.

I see 90% gross and ridiculous, 10% epic drama.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-03-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm terrible at small talk, especially with strangers or just acquaintances. I try, but I'm just no good at it. I get bored, distracted, miss something they say, misunderstand something they say, forget their name then find myself trying to remember their name instead of listening to them, find myself agreeing with whateverthehell they are saying, etc. More importantly, I usually have nothing to add. "Nice wether, huh?" "Yep." As opposed to, "It's not bad now, but there's a storm on the way, the weather channel said it's a big one!"

I especially hate sports small talk. Blank slack-jawed stares from me.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
01-03-2012, 06:03 PM
I am right there in failure to initiate or maintain small talk.

There are instances I find people fascinating and enjoy the small talk quirks of them but I still suck at doing it on any regards of my own. I've been amazed at some co-workers or friends of mine engaging in small talk I know they had no interest in just for the perceived social politeness of it.

I understand it in the concept of getting to know someone, friendship, intimate relationship realm it can lead too but I hate the concept of it. I can do the bit of work complaining talk but weather is where I draw the line. Every time I hear someone say it may be nice outside I want to scream, WHO EFFING CARES!!!! (That one has bothered me my whole live from my Mother so that probably explains that pet peeve)
01-03-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm good at it but sometimes just can't be bothered.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Why is wolverine and thor popular when they suck? Metazoa Zeke 77 882 30-06-2014 04:06 AM
Last Post: Revenant77x