Poll: Do you suck at smalltalk?
Yes
No
Well, there is this neighbour, who has a dog. His wife .......
Tell me more!
[Show Results]

I suck at smalltalk

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2012, 06:12 PM
RE: I suck at smalltalk
On weather...
I agree with comments above and it brings out the contrarian in me.
Comments like "what's the weather doing?" always make me want to say "it's doing weathery things. Did you mean "what classification of weather is currently occuring?"".

The nonsensity of it was also brought home when I moved from the UK to Sydney. Weather reports say "good weather expected"... in the UK that means sunshine but in Oz it means rain.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-03-2012, 06:17 PM
(01-03-2012 06:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  On weather...
Comments like "what's the weather doing?" always make me want to say "it's doing weathery things. Did you mean "what classification of weather is currently occuring?"".

The nonsensity of it was also brought home when I moved from the UK to Sydney. Weather reports say "good weather expected"... in the UK that means sunshine but in Oz it means rain.

Lol, especially in Melbourne Tongue

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
01-03-2012, 06:58 PM
I can engage in small talk but don't seek it out. I do it only to not appear rude most of the time. Years ago I tended bar and learned how to seem like I was listening and engaging but really wasn't...just sort of autopilot to help fill the tip jar.

I do like to people watch...but I don't like so much to people engage.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
01-03-2012, 07:00 PM
(01-03-2012 06:17 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  

You guys just small-talked. Big Grin ha ha.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
01-03-2012, 07:20 PM
(01-03-2012 07:00 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(01-03-2012 06:17 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  

You guys just small-talked. Big Grin ha ha.

Damn! Caught out Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
01-03-2012, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 07:34 PM by GirlyMan.)
(01-03-2012 04:37 PM)Leela Wrote:  so... I suck at smalltalk, I mean in real life.

So you know you're old when you got a story.

Girly and his boss are sitting in BWI airport waiting for a flight. There's a fetching blond who catches the boss' eye. "I hope I end up sitting next to her, Bob." "Yeah, whatever Phil." I get on the plane before Phil and end up coincidentally sitting next to the fetching blond. Phil gives me the evil eye as he passes us to his seat. After the flight, like some sorta eager puppy dog, Phil asks me "So what did you two talk about?" "She tried to strike up a conversation but I said, 'I don't even like talking to my own family, why would I want to talk to you?'" Phil looked sad.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Some small talk is like saying "how are you doing?" to some people. It's an automated thing. They don't really think about what they are saying. I always wanted to break out a map and give the weather verbatim from the morning news, but haven't done it... Might not go over so well in Brazil, but when I get up the nerve I might try it on tourists...

A theist and an atheist go to heaven.
theist: "See! There is a heaven."
atheist: "So, you consider heaven a joke too?"
------
Defy gravity... stand up.
01-03-2012, 07:41 PM
I work in a supermarket and spend a decent amount of time on a checkout and I HATE small talk!

I don't give a crap about the person I'm serving and I know they don't give a crap about me, why pretend otherwise?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
01-03-2012, 07:43 PM
(01-03-2012 07:41 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I work in a supermarket and spend a decent amount of time on a checkout and I HATE small talk!

I don't give a crap about the person I'm serving and I know they don't give a crap about me, why pretend otherwise?

I feel for you Undecided

02-03-2012, 02:38 AM
yeah the occasional "how are you?" when they don't really want to know. Ever answered something like "ah well, didn't really sleep last night, had a bad toothache" and then checked out the face. They were prepared to go on with something like, "well fine then, see you at lunch break" but now it would be very rude to say that and they are struggling with semselfes, trying to find out how to not have a real conversation now, keep it short and leave...
That is the kind of stuff I like observing.
And as many before me, yes I do observe, I don't really take part in smalltalk a lot myself, but I like listening. You learn a lot about people.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user