Poll: Do you suck at smalltalk?
Yes
No
Well, there is this neighbour, who has a dog. His wife .......
Tell me more!
[Show Results]

I suck at smalltalk

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2012, 04:43 AM
RE: I suck at smalltalk
I am bad at small talk, but I think it's because I hate it so much. I prefer to expidite the "formalities" (which most people think is the whole, "how are you" bullshit) by starting a conversation with someone who approaches me by asking, "do you really have something to say?" I know it's kind of a dick move, but it saves me from showing my real dick side. I've been known to turn around and walk away from someone mid-sentence. I seem to easily get angry when someone smalltalks me, and it's the only way I can think of to get away.

Ya know, there's a reason I live on a farm and spend all day with animals instead of people. You guys are the only ones I like to talk to, and that's cuz I can just "be away from the computer" whenever one of you pisses me off! LOL

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
02-03-2012, 09:11 AM
(02-03-2012 04:43 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Ya know, there's a reason I live on a farm and spend all day with animals instead of people. You guys are the only ones I like to talk to, and that's cuz I can just "be away from the computer" whenever one of you pisses me off! LOL
So ... do you have something to say? Angel

Anyway, yes, that is something I enjoy too, very much indeed. Just click "ignore" or stop reading it - it's wonderful.
I am not rude enough to turn away or tell someone "Thanks for the smalltalk, anything real to say or can I leave now?"

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
02-03-2012, 09:36 AM
(02-03-2012 09:11 AM)Leela Wrote:  
(02-03-2012 04:43 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Ya know, there's a reason I live on a farm and spend all day with animals instead of people. You guys are the only ones I like to talk to, and that's cuz I can just "be away from the computer" whenever one of you pisses me off! LOL
So ... do you have something to say? Angel

Anyway, yes, that is something I enjoy too, very much indeed. Just click "ignore" or stop reading it - it's wonderful.
I am not rude enough to turn away or tell someone "Thanks for the smalltalk, anything real to say or can I leave now?"

Sorry I didn't relpy sooner. I was away from the computer. Wink

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
02-03-2012, 08:52 PM
I can't do the poll, my answer is not on it.

My answer is yes I suck at small talk, but I also suck at regular talk.

I used to be really good at it. I could ramble on about nothing to anyone, making even the most jerk ass of people feel at ease. I was a chameleon.
Then one day I realized I genuinely dislike talking to most people. So I much like Stark said, became more hostile in my approach. I make people uncomfortable now. I won`t engage people if I don`t feel like it. I`ll just look at the person talking with a look of irritation, and then if they still don`t get it I`ll either just say " done yet?" or blatantly turn away.
I realized this might be a problem (not that I really care) after my daughter was born.
People adopt the strangest behavior around children. They somehow assume it's ok if they come up and talk to you, or touch your kid. WTF?
I've flipped out so many times.
This one time some guy started talking to my kid and getting all up in her face with his baby talk and I literally grabbed his hair and pulled him up to my face and said "You either fuck off or lose teeth" and he went away. I was at a Tim hortons in line and people were looking at me funny.

People are awful. But I like most of you guys. That's probably why I spend so much time here.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
02-03-2012, 10:03 PM
I get where you're coming from, Brother. Pastor Erxomai was all about putting people at ease in any situation. He was pretty darn good at it too. Hellbound Erxomai, not so much. Like our esteemed Luc, I just don't enjoy the company of most people. But here I can be my smart-assy self and enjoy the interactions. Maybe it's the feeling of there's no pressure to perform?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
07-03-2012, 04:52 AM
I'm sorry... I wasn't paying attention. Did someone say something?

"I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders...
Thanks for getting off my back!"
-
Arcticspear Idea
21-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Small talk is the exact reason why I'm a busser and not a server at Red Lobster Smile I get to spend the entire day around guests and not have to talk to anyone except my co-workers and I get to do alot of thinking lol.

"Here's the thing about rights. They're not supposed to be voted on. That's why they call them rights." -Rachel Maddow
22-04-2012, 10:28 AM
I kinda do. If its just me and somebody I dont really know in a room, and we start talking about small talk stuff, I run out of things to say really quickly and then it gets all awwwwkward.