I support mandatory waiting periods (for before signing bills)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2017, 07:21 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2017 07:25 PM by cactus.)
Remember that time Obama made this small gesture of transparency:
Quote:To reduce bills rushed through Congress and to the president before the public has the opportunity to review them, Obama "will not sign any non-emergency bill without giving the American public an opportunity to review and comment on the White House website for five days."
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/...public-co/

Did he follow through with that plan... nope lol, but at least he was willing to admit it was a problem worth addressing.

Seems like an excellent idea to me. Shit, Congress members themselves don't even have time to become fully aware of the content of a lot of the bills that get passed.

Also, when a bill doesn't pass, it should be burned in a bonfire on the House floor, and all politicians present must mourn for at least 10 minutes over the loss of the bill. They must then lay the ashes at the feet of the Lincoln Memorial.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2017, 08:13 PM
Why does the public need to scrutinize everything? We elected people to make decisions not make laws based on internet opinions.
22-01-2017, 08:31 PM
RE: I support mandatory waiting periods (for before signing bills)
(22-01-2017 08:13 PM)KUSA Wrote:  Why does the public need to scrutinize everything? We elected people to make decisions not make laws based on internet opinions.

Apparently 'we' elected a twit who bases it on Twitter opinions. Drinking Beverage

But mostly because they are public servants, not rulers. They work for us.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-01-2017, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2017 08:37 PM by cactus.)
RE: I support mandatory waiting periods (for before signing bills)
(22-01-2017 08:13 PM)KUSA Wrote:  Why does the public need to scrutinize everything? We elected people to make decisions not make laws based on internet opinions.

Congress needs to scrutinize it, at least. It's what they were hired to do. If you put some of these bills in audiobook format and played them back at 3x speed, these people still wouldn't have enough time to make fully informed decisions.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
22-01-2017, 08:42 PM
(22-01-2017 08:34 PM)cactus Wrote:  Congress needs to scrutinize it, at least. It's what they were hired to do.

I agree 100% on that. I just don't want to see an internet vote on everything.