I suppose an introduction is in order

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2014, 11:58 AM
I suppose an introduction is in order
Hello, all. I'm Alison, or Ali. Thirtysomething atheist transwoman with an interest in science and skepticism. I actively blog about science and skepticism (see my sig).

This should be interesting. Back in the day I was a highly active poster (and even Mod for awhile) at the Internet Infidels Discussion Board (which I don't think is even around anymore); but then IIDB had a schism and I ended up at Rants n' Raves for awhile; then RnR just got too not-what-IIDB-was and I lost interest completely. I haven't really lingered on any DB since, but if I'm going to get back into the fun, this board seems like a good one.

Anyway, happy to meet you all. Smile

Alison Edwards ~ Blogging at Transgender Science and Skeptoid
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Ariamythe's post
09-05-2014, 12:15 PM
RE: I suppose an introduction is in order
Welcome. Here is your welcome seal.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

[Image: get_some_by_addmedia-d78ip4k.gif] All request for metazoa info and my larger projects should be sent PM
09-05-2014, 12:40 PM
Welcome, Ali!! Big Grin

People used to laugh at me when I would say "I want to be a comedian". Well nobody is laughing now!

You can never lose a homing pigeon - if your homing pigeon doesn't come back, what you've lost is a pigeon.
09-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Hey, welcome Allison. I'm fairly new too, but this place is a fascinating blend of intellectualism, insanity, humor, community, and argument all rolled into one largely unmoderated ball that somehow works remarkably well.

Personally, even if it wasn't for the interesting ideas, I'd still enjoy reading it for the witty and zany banter. Where else would I have found comments like this to enjoy while sipping my morning coffee?

(09-05-2014 08:52 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  There is a limit, a line if you will, between the realm of normalcy and that of insanity, a very fine, almost intangible border separates these two distinct dominions of the healthy and the deranged.

And you people just pole-vaulted right the fuck over it while swinging a cowboy hat and shouting "Yeehaw!".

Heart

Jesus is my Stalker: He has graced me with his unconditional love, but if I reject it and refuse to love him in return, he will make my life Hell.
09-05-2014, 01:07 PM
Welcome! People here can be batshit crazy, but they sure grow on you! Pull up a chair and join right in.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Welcome aboard! Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
09-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Welcome, Ari. This place is pretty free-wheeling, so there should be something to interest you.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2014, 02:31 PM
I'm so glad you've decided to stick around for a bit, Ali. Yes... this place can be weird as well as fun... but hey; life. Wink

Again, welcome! Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
09-05-2014, 02:37 PM
Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
09-05-2014, 07:04 PM
(09-05-2014 11:58 AM)Ariamythe Wrote:  Hello, all. I'm Alison, or Ali. Thirtysomething atheist transwoman with an interest in science and skepticism. I actively blog about science and skepticism (see my sig).

This should be interesting. Back in the day I was a highly active poster (and even Mod for awhile) at the Internet Infidels Discussion Board (which I don't think is even around anymore); but then IIDB had a schism and I ended up at Rants n' Raves for awhile; then RnR just got too not-what-IIDB-was and I lost interest completely. I haven't really lingered on any DB since, but if I'm going to get back into the fun, this board seems like a good one.

Anyway, happy to meet you all. Smile

Hey there Ariamythe.

Welcome to the board. Clap

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain