That's bad. Very bad.

Hug

But thanks for the heads-up.

Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2015, 02:56 PM
RE: I swear 100% of this happened
Sorry man. That sucks. First class is the only way I can sleep on a plane. I save my miles for those long flights and it is ohhhh so worth it. You provably do long trips so often that you'd be cranking through miles...
11-12-2015, 03:16 PM
(10-12-2015 08:32 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I am sitting at LAX waiting for a redeye. Why? Well this all started Thursday at 4 am Beijing time (Wed 4 pm, EST) when I woke up and took a shower, expecting my driver to come by to pick me up to take me to the airport in Zhengzhou. Well, I was told wrong and he showed up at 5, when I was drying myself off after a shower. We then proceed to drive to the airport through smog that was so thick that you could see about 20 feet in front of the car at times. Because of this, he had to drive very slowly because if you know anything about the Chinese people outside of Shanghai, they think that the highway is the perfect place for a bicycle with no reflectors. Needless to say, he nearly hit several e-bikes, bicycles, and little electric trikes (though it really wouldn't have been his fault IMO). So we get about 10 minutes outside of the airport and the road is closed. He gets out to see why (there are no signs, just a small, poorly reflective barrier and a policeman) and come to discover that the highway is closed due to the government action plan for smog. Seen this on the news on Beijing's air quality? Well Zhengzhou is worse of you can believe it. So my driver, who does not speak a lick of English and my Mandarin isn't nearly good enough so he has to call a colleague of mine who is also leaving to come back to the states a few hours later to figure out a plan. We then learn that both my flight and his were canceled for some reason. So luckily, I was going to have a 6 hour layover so something else perhaps can be arranged. I get to the airport 45 minutes later because he has to take backroads to get there that he isn't familiar with and the smog is so bad you couldn't read the street signs from the car. I go to the counter to try and get my flight changed to Shanghai airport then I am only a fairly easy trainride to Pudong. Well apparently everyone elst thought of that as well and I am sure my getting to the airport late didn't help. The only option I had was a flight at 1215 arriving at 215, so that would give me 2 hours to get through security and whatnot. No problem right? Wrong. We were delayed 30 mintutes due to "weather" (which is the PC way of saying smog apparently) so now I am down to about 90 minutes if we arrive on time. We touch down at about 310. Ok. A they still may be checking in. So we taxi to the FAR SIDE of the fucking airport and deplane next to the end of the runway. I can't even see the terminal. It takes a 15 minute busride to get the the terminal of China Eastern which has about 5 gates unoccupied. I have flown in and out of this airport many times and I have NEVER seen this before. I don't even get to the baggage claim until 345 after the taxi, busride, and walking. No way I am making it now. So I get my bag and proceed to the United ticketing to figure out a solution. The only option was to go to LAX which brings me to where I am now. But it gets even better. The only remaining flight to Chicago was overbooked so no way I am getting on that, which leaves taking a redeye to Newark, arriving at 4 am, then a connection to Indy at 7 am, getting me home a full 13 hours late. So if the rest of this trip goes off without a hitch, that brings my total clock time to 41 straight hours without much sleep. BTW, I don't like flying. I get the shakes if I have no music or something to read or watch. Sleep is next to impossible.

That is one massive paragraph.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
11-12-2015, 05:41 PM
Yikes. I wonder what that smog will do to all the folks who have to live in it permanently....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-12-2015, 05:56 PM
(11-12-2015 03:16 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 08:32 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I am sitting at LAX waiting for a redeye. Why? Well this all started Thursday at 4 am Beijing time (Wed 4 pm, EST) when I woke up and took a shower, expecting my driver to come by to pick me up to take me to the airport in Zhengzhou. Well, I was told wrong and he showed up at 5, when I was drying myself off after a shower. We then proceed to drive to the airport through smog that was so thick that you could see about 20 feet in front of the car at times. Because of this, he had to drive very slowly because if you know anything about the Chinese people outside of Shanghai, they think that the highway is the perfect place for a bicycle with no reflectors. Needless to say, he nearly hit several e-bikes, bicycles, and little electric trikes (though it really wouldn't have been his fault IMO). So we get about 10 minutes outside of the airport and the road is closed. He gets out to see why (there are no signs, just a small, poorly reflective barrier and a policeman) and come to discover that the highway is closed due to the government action plan for smog. Seen this on the news on Beijing's air quality? Well Zhengzhou is worse of you can believe it. So my driver, who does not speak a lick of English and my Mandarin isn't nearly good enough so he has to call a colleague of mine who is also leaving to come back to the states a few hours later to figure out a plan. We then learn that both my flight and his were canceled for some reason. So luckily, I was going to have a 6 hour layover so something else perhaps can be arranged. I get to the airport 45 minutes later because he has to take backroads to get there that he isn't familiar with and the smog is so bad you couldn't read the street signs from the car. I go to the counter to try and get my flight changed to Shanghai airport then I am only a fairly easy trainride to Pudong. Well apparently everyone elst thought of that as well and I am sure my getting to the airport late didn't help. The only option I had was a flight at 1215 arriving at 215, so that would give me 2 hours to get through security and whatnot. No problem right? Wrong. We were delayed 30 mintutes due to "weather" (which is the PC way of saying smog apparently) so now I am down to about 90 minutes if we arrive on time. We touch down at about 310. Ok. A they still may be checking in. So we taxi to the FAR SIDE of the fucking airport and deplane next to the end of the runway. I can't even see the terminal. It takes a 15 minute busride to get the the terminal of China Eastern which has about 5 gates unoccupied. I have flown in and out of this airport many times and I have NEVER seen this before. I don't even get to the baggage claim until 345 after the taxi, busride, and walking. No way I am making it now. So I get my bag and proceed to the United ticketing to figure out a solution. The only option was to go to LAX which brings me to where I am now. But it gets even better. The only remaining flight to Chicago was overbooked so no way I am getting on that, which leaves taking a redeye to Newark, arriving at 4 am, then a connection to Indy at 7 am, getting me home a full 13 hours late. So if the rest of this trip goes off without a hitch, that brings my total clock time to 41 straight hours without much sleep. BTW, I don't like flying. I get the shakes if I have no music or something to read or watch. Sleep is next to impossible.

That is one massive paragraph.

It is, but he's tired so we'll give him a pass Tongue
11-12-2015, 06:01 PM
Sounds like you've fallen prey to the Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times."
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
11-12-2015, 08:51 PM
(11-12-2015 05:41 PM)Dom Wrote:  Yikes. I wonder what that smog will do to all the folks who have to live in it permanently....

In '73, when on my way back from US Navy A-School in Illinois and driving into California from Las Vegas, I could spot the South Coast Air Basin in the distance by the inversion layer containing enough oxides of nitrogen to make a brown cloud above it. Visible from 200 miles away! I worked for several years as a mechanic after the Navy before I graduated from university. During that time, the auto manufacturers made vast strides in pollution control equipment. As a result, the air is way cleaner. In the '60s, we had air like that in the greater Los Angeles area, but not with that limited a visibility. China is now experiencing this level of smog due to using coal for a lot of their energy needs That shit is now drifting over to the US. China has launched an initiative to get solar going big time in their own country (IIRC). Interestingly enough, we supply their coal, and US coal has a lot of sulfur in it. In fact, that high sulfur content is why we are financing our own demise by buying light, sweet crude from the ME. US oil is called sour crude because of that sulfur content.