I swear to Darwin if I hear one more person say this to me....

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
18-01-2011, 11:03 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2011 11:19 PM by latvianxave8.)
I swear to Darwin if I hear one more person say this to me....
"Why do you always have to be right?" or "I can never prove you wrong because you always think your right", or any other variation of that, I think my brain just might actually explode.

AND TO AMMEND THIS...

During a debate, a friend of mine tried asserting that I am wrong because I look "scruffy". I said my appearance is irrelevant to the point I am trying to assert. And my friend goes "shut the hell up, looks do matter!"

Fight the system,

~~~but don't mute the opposition!~~~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2011, 12:07 AM
RE: I swear to Darwin if I hear one more person say this to me....
What you are seeing is desperation when theists realize they have no argument to counter yours so they just go "la la la la" in their head and try to shut you up with something irrelevant.

Also , try to be more cool about this - not to offend you but in some posts you come across as a theist troll pretending to be an atheist.
I am very annonyed by theists , but getting angry only places you in their control - if they play your emotions(which most of them do , since that's what they use for faith) they can discredit you - a sort of smear campaign if you will.
19-01-2011, 07:01 AM

I am glad to live in Southern Ontario, Canada, where it's fairly liberal when it comes to beliefs (although I consider myself a Canadian conservative). I would be scared to death to live in a Christian loving conservative US nation, where people might make it their business to put their nose in your religious beliefs.

Einstein looked a little scruffy too, bastard should have got a haircut once in a while...
Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2011, 10:46 AM

You have to realize most people want to argue stuff they know, or can understand. If it comes to theist, most I have debated with will if on a MB, argue over how stupid I am because of my spelling, or wrong use of grammar.. Which I agree does downgrade me for something, just not the point I was trying to make. Sadly in the world I live in and see, its easier to call someone stupid than to try and understand their point.

As for your friend, it seems whatever it is you were discussing, your friend didn't get it, and attempted to divert the topic to something simpler for them to understand. Don't get mad, just realize you are smarter than them, and just walk away.
19-01-2011, 03:43 PM
(19-01-2011 07:01 AM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  I am glad to live in Southern Ontario, Canada, where it's fairly liberal when it comes to beliefs (although I consider myself a Canadian conservative). I would be scared to death to live in a Christian loving conservative US nation, where people might make it their business to put their nose in your religious beliefs.

Einstein looked a little scruffy too, bastard should have got a haircut once in a while...

I have often though how great it would be for the US if Canada was to join the union. I mean, I harbor no such delusion that it might actually happen. But in my fantasies, Canada's provinces become US states, and the entire bible belt is finally shut out of the debates that divide our nation. No more NRA bullshit. No more English-only bullshit. No more gay marriage bullshit. No more health care bullshit. All of those Fox News watching rightwing idiots would finally be in a pronounced minority and we could vote them into oblivion.

On the down side, how would we smuggle Cuban cigars?

Never mind.
19-01-2011, 05:58 PM

That is an interesting thought, however our huge landmass would still be the minority: Our entire population is less than California. lol

I think if Fox news was eliminated, it would be a huge step forward for your country.
19-01-2011, 06:37 PM
(19-01-2011 05:58 PM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  That is an interesting thought, however our huge landmass would still be the minority: Our entire population is less than California. lol

I think if Fox news was eliminated, it would be a huge step forward for your country.

Ah, but you see, each province would be gifted two senators and a share of the electoral college. Bwahahahaha!

As it stands, states with small populations tend to vote GOP so they get a disproportionate voice. If Canada's provinces were to become US states, that would shift the tides immeasurably. Plus, we'd get more yummy maple syrup.

Then again, we'd have to start caring more about hockey, so never mind.
19-01-2011, 06:43 PM

Lightbulb Look at the bright side...At least you're not them!
(18-01-2011 11:03 PM)latvianxave8 Wrote:  "Why do you always have to be right?" or "I can never prove you wrong because you always think your right", or any other variation of that, I think my brain just might actually explode.
Nothing speaks so pointedly to someone who acts like that, as simply saying nothing in return but instead, smile slightly and look into their eyes. Angel

However, when that simply won't do I find a great retort to that first quote to be: It's not that that's true, it's simply that you don't possess enough information in order to prove me wrong.

As to the second quote:
Being right isn't a matter of thinking it so. It's a matter of credible facts.When you get your facts straight you'll prove me wrong.

Quote:AND TO AMMEND THIS...

During a debate, a friend of mine tried asserting that I am wrong because I look "scruffy". I said my appearance is irrelevant to the point I am trying to assert. And my friend goes "shut the hell up, looks do matter!"

I'll not presume these folks are Theists, that you're talking to.
Perhaps it's as simple as the people you're debating with, aren't really qualified to debate. Rather, they're simply arguing against anything you have to say, because they don't respect who you are or what you believe in. .
I find those who resort to vulgarity and/or personal attacks in order to support their point of view in a discussion (I've never formally debated), not only make a very weak point but were ill prepared to enter into the dialog in the first place.
Consequently, they seem to resort to the offensive tactics in order to derail the topic and your/others who may be listening attention to the fact they're just not decent conversationalists.

Good luck. And before you let your head explode just take a deep breath and count to ten slowly. While appreciating the fact you cant be all that scruffy and thus easily dismissed when who you are is permitted to get under the skin of those who think to presume they're so much better than you.
A great pressure valve release when it get's really tense, is to stay calm and as they escalate in tone of voice and/or upset, lower your voice while refusing to rise to their bait to get you to their level. If you really want to go there, what works well is to stay quiet while they rant and say all those things you'd love to say aloud, to yourself while looking right at them.

I did this once when someone was literally changing colors along the orange to brilliant red spectrum, as we discussed a local issue that I knew well enough because I'd researched the legislation behind it, even when I had the Bill number so they could do the research for themselves and learn where they were mistaken about certain points .
They finally closed their side of the matter with: "I just can't talk to you."
I smiled and simply said; yes, that's what I heard. Wink
19-01-2011, 08:09 PM
The friend was not a theist, the debate was about parenting. She was going on about how she would be a total asshole to her kids and "show them who is boss" whenever they try to express their opinion. I was arguing that it would be better to let children express their opinion, even if those opinions differ from my own.

Fight the system,

~~~but don't mute the opposition!~~~
19-01-2011, 08:19 PM

(19-01-2011 08:09 PM)latvianxave8 Wrote:  The friend was not a theist, the debate was about parenting. She was going on about how she would be a total asshole to her kids and "show them who is boss" whenever they try to express their opinion. I was arguing that it would be better to let children express their opinion, even if those opinions differ from my own.
Wow! Her children have my deepest sympathy. While it's funny that she doesn't seem to realize, or care, that she's admitting she is more capable of being an asshole, than she is a decent respectful parent/role model to and for her kids.