I switched majors

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2012, 05:44 PM
RE: I switched majors
(07-04-2012 05:36 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(07-04-2012 05:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I was a PHIL major all the way up to my Junior year, then ManlyGirl got prego so I switched to CS 'cause I realized no one was gonna pay me enough to support a family to just sit around and think deep thoughts. Must be nice to be able to afford to just follow your interests, though. Thumbsup

The military is paying for my schooling, but I'm not sure if they will cover the extra year I'll probably need to finish both majors. I will definitely have to find some funding for grad school. It would be awesome if the military would fund everything up through my PhD, but they are not that nice.

The thing about technical degrees like Computer Science and Engineering is that you can find a good paying job with just a Baccalaureate and then the employer is typically willing to pay for grad school. But with a major in Philosophy, for example, I wouldn't have been able to land a good paying job until I already had my Doctorate. ... Yeah, I sold out but it's all good. Smile ... Oh, and the military will pay for your PhD if you were still on Active Duty and are just that good. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2012, 05:47 PM
(07-04-2012 05:36 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(07-04-2012 05:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I was a PHIL major all the way up to my Junior year, then ManlyGirl got prego so I switched to CS 'cause I realized no one was gonna pay me enough to support a family to just sit around and think deep thoughts. Must be nice to be able to afford to just follow your interests, though. Thumbsup

The military is paying for my schooling, but I'm not sure if they will cover the extra year I'll probably need to finish both majors. I will definitely have to find some funding for grad school. It would be awesome if the military would fund everything up through my PhD, but they are not that nice.

Isn't the market for Chineese speakers, (especially with a subspecialty) really good ? You should be able to work at home, and work on whatever ya want. And BTW, that cave painting can't be that old. The Earth is only 6,000 years old, ya know. Ya see the light going into carbon in the paint was bent, and absorbed too much CO2, and , um.. well, I fergit. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
07-04-2012, 06:10 PM
(07-04-2012 05:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The thing about technical degrees like Computer Science and Engineering is that you can find a good paying job with just a Baccalaureate and then the employer is typically willing to pay for grad school. But with a major in Philosophy, for example, I wouldn't have been able to land a good paying job until I already had my Doctorate. ... Yeah, I sold out but it's all good. Smile ... Oh, and the military will pay for your PhD if you were still on Active Duty and are just that good. Wink

Selling out is not bad, especially when you have a family to support. I'm single, so I can be a little self-centered right now. I am no longer active duty; I've been out of the military for about 8 years now.

(07-04-2012 05:47 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Isn't the market for Chineese speakers, (especially with a subspecialty) really good ? You should be able to work at home, and work on whatever ya want. And BTW, that cave painting can't be that old. The Earth is only 6,000 years old, ya know. Ya see the light going into carbon in the paint was bent, and absorbed too much CO2, and , um.. well, I fergit. Tongue

Yes, the market is very good, but you have to be very good yourself. I don't intend on giving up on Chinese altogether. My anthropology adviser said that he can put me in contact with a past student of his who enrolled in a program that allowed him to travel all over China and subsequently improve his language skills. I feel this would be the best way for me to master the language.

While reading various news reports on ancient art, I have come onto comments claiming that the system used to date the paintings or artifacts were incorrect. The posters sourced their statements with...links to creationist websites. Big surprise.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-04-2012, 08:09 AM
I just found out that my university has a well developed primatology focus in their anthropology program. I will definitely be taking those classes. One professor that I spoke with said that some students are able to do self-study at the local zoo. Even though I haven't started the classes yet, I'm thinking about contacting the zoo to see if they will allow me (along with free admission) to do some study in advance . That way I can take what I have already learned and apply it to the classes.
13-04-2012, 03:47 PM
(13-04-2012 08:09 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  One professor that I spoke with said that some students are able to do self-study at the local zoo.

That just sounds wrong. You sure they weren't insulting you.Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-04-2012, 06:50 PM
(13-04-2012 03:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-04-2012 08:09 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  One professor that I spoke with said that some students are able to do self-study at the local zoo.

That just sounds wrong. You sure they weren't insulting you.Big Grin

(Comedy drum roll) I'll be here all week. Tip your waitress.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
13-04-2012, 06:57 PM
(13-04-2012 06:50 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(13-04-2012 03:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That just sounds wrong. You sure they weren't insulting you.Big Grin

(Comedy drum roll) I'll be here all week. Tip your waitress.

fucker ...

13-04-2012, 10:07 PM

I used to go to school with a guy called Phil Major.

I hated him!