I tanked my ACT-Advice?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2015, 08:58 PM
I tanked my ACT-Advice?
I took my ACT today, and I completely tanked. I have an unweighted GPA of 3.9, I know it's not exceptional, but the work I put into my academics meant a lot to me because I have absolutely no college fund, and I feel like now I have little change of getting into a decent school. On the first grammar part of the test, I skewed the time, and had to guess on around 30 questions.

Do you guys have any advice? Can I retake the test, and will it be taken seriously? I'll be graduating this year, but I'm not going to college until the year after next for personal reason; do you think it would be possible for me to take it then even if not in high school?

I know this is weird for a religious forum but it's the coffee house Drinking Beverage So if anyone can speak from past experience I would appreciate it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2015, 07:06 AM
RE: I tanked my ACT-Advice?
(03-03-2015 08:58 PM)ThreadingHurricanes Wrote:  Do you guys have any advice?

As far as doing better on the test, I don't have any specific advice.

(03-03-2015 08:58 PM)ThreadingHurricanes Wrote:  Can I retake the test,

Assuming the rules haven't changed since I took it 18 years ago, yes, you can retake it. I didn't do as well as I'd hoped my first time, so I retook it and scored three points higher.

(03-03-2015 08:58 PM)ThreadingHurricanes Wrote:  and will it be taken seriously?

That depends on where you want to go to college. Different colleges use different tests. Where I went, the ACT was good enough, so I didn't take the SAT. Also, with the score I got on my retake combined with my GPA, I was able to get a merit scholarship from the university itself.

(03-03-2015 08:58 PM)ThreadingHurricanes Wrote:  I'll be graduating this year, but I'm not going to college until the year after next for personal reason; do you think it would be possible for me to take it then even if not in high school?

That I don't know. I'd assume you can take it out of high school (a lot of people go to college later as adults), but I don't know that. Are you still in high school? If so, you can likely talk to a councilor to get more specific and up-to-date advice.
04-03-2015, 08:22 AM
You can retake the test multiple times unless something has changed since 2002, and your highest score is taken.

I'd recommend you study for your weakest sections and just do small refreshers on your strong subjects.

You might not be a good test taker, but you should know by now. But that's why your GPA is measured equally as well.
04-03-2015, 08:36 AM
Re-take the test. It will be taken seriously.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2015, 05:34 PM
(04-03-2015 08:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  Re-take the test. It will be taken seriously.

This...

And you know what to expect now so it should be easier. Smile

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
04-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Start practicing the phrase "would you like fries with that?"

[Image: potentialdemotivator.jpg]

Sorry...I know that's mean, but the good advice was already taken. Tongue

Good luck on the retake!

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
04-03-2015, 07:28 PM
Take it now. Don't wait till next year. In your off year take some of the basic classes at a community college for cheaper. Many high-school students in my area dual enroll their senior year in high school and community college. When they go to four year it's cheaper and all the basics are done.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
04-03-2015, 09:01 PM
(03-03-2015 08:58 PM)ThreadingHurricanes Wrote:  I took my ACT today, and I completely tanked. I have an unweighted GPA of 3.9, I know it's not exceptional, but the work I put into my academics meant a lot to me because I have absolutely no college fund, and I feel like now I have little change of getting into a decent school. On the first grammar part of the test, I skewed the time, and had to guess on around 30 questions.

Do you guys have any advice? Can I retake the test, and will it be taken seriously? I'll be graduating this year, but I'm not going to college until the year after next for personal reason; do you think it would be possible for me to take it then even if not in high school?

I know this is weird for a religious forum but it's the coffee house Drinking Beverage So if anyone can speak from past experience I would appreciate it.

As others mention, yes, you can retake the test and use that score instead of this recent one if you wish.

I would also agree with another who suggested not taking it when you are taking a break from school. You can get out of practice pretty quickly.

It sounds like you biffed on timing and test taking strategy rather than specifically on content. At least that's why you are worried. The best advice I have is to take practice tests in timed settings. Doing that can help lessen the stress you experience while test taking and can help you refine your strategy for tacking the test the next time. You may also want to browse university health service web sites like this one for tips on managing anxiety and stress during tests: http://www.uhs.wisc.edu/health-topics/st...ress.shtml
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post